Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Nice, very good looking
But maybe I'm old school because I've been using actual keys to turn on my car.. a lot of times my wife and I either forget the keys in the car, or walk away with the keys when the other person needs it to continue driving.

I'd like to see a manufacturer use rechargeable batteries in key fobs with the ability for induction charging. Build a small induction charging slot so I can put the key in there when I drive. I'm obviously asking for too much ingenuity.

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
DreamWRX -- that's actual a brilliant idea...charge the key fob inside the car, while driving...

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Hmm... Maybe I should patent this idea.
My 2005 E46 BMW does this with the "old school" key. The Key is a sealed unit with rechargeable battery inside and charges in the ignition, while driving. Like almost all BMWs which have a "normal" key - not sure if they have the same feature for push button start/fobs. Probably not, and I also don't see why this can't be done for fobs. Freaking electric toothbrushes do this, so why not key fobs?

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
My 2005 E46 BMW does this with the "old school" key. The Key is a sealed unit with rechargeable battery inside and charges in the ignition, while driving. Like almost all BMWs which have a "normal" key - not sure if they have the same feature for push button start/fobs. Probably not, and I also don't see why this can't be done for fobs. Freaking electric toothbrushes do this, so why not key fobs?
That's what I'm saying... Too late for the patent I guess ...

TXArchitect

First Edition
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Would like a better view of the buttons on the fob to see what it does. Assume door locks, hood, alarm and back window.

OP
OP
TheMalamute

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
Would like a better view of the buttons on the fob to see what it does. Assume door locks, hood, alarm and back window.
Here is a 2020 escape fob. It appears to be the exact same fob based on the side shot from one of the original pics. Not sure if the trunk button would be different since it isn't hands free. Hope this helps.
Ford Bronco Sport This is the Bronco Sport Key Fob 31D485C6-CE36-44F4-BB7F-9307B5FE9F9F

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
And remote start? Or is that only via FordPass?

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Nice, very good looking
But maybe I'm old school because I've been using actual keys to turn on my car.. a lot of times my wife and I either forget the keys in the car, or walk away with the keys when the other person needs it to continue driving.

I'd like to see a manufacturer use rechargeable batteries in key fobs with the ability for induction charging. Build a small induction charging slot so I can put the key in there when I drive. I'm obviously asking for too much ingenuity.
It’s a good idea, but there’s just not a need for it. Out of all the vehicles I’ve owned, I’ve never had to change the battery in a key fob.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
It’s a good idea, but there’s just not a need for it. Out of all the vehicles I’ve owned, I’ve never had to change the battery in a key fob.
They must be really big batteries, or you don't drive very much, or you sell your car really early.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
And remote start? Or is that only via FordPass?
I believe there is normal remote start button as that's part of the BL package, and there looks to be some options/accessories for the remote start fob listed already.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
They must be really big batteries, or you don't drive very much, or you sell your car really early.
I keep all my vehicles for around 5 years or 100k miles and drive them daily. I had one key die on me, but that was after 6 years. After googling, looks like 3 to 4 years is about average. I guess I’m just lucky lol.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I keep all my vehicles for around 5 years or 100k miles and drive them daily. I had one key die on me, but that was after 6 years. After googling, looks like 3 to 4 years is about average. I guess I’m just lucky lol.
Apparently so... I've had my car for 12 years.. it's had a few battery changes.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I just changed the batteries on my wife's 3 year old Explorer. She often leaves the fob in the car and uses the keypad for locking and unlocking so I wonder if the fob is busy talking to the car when it is in proximity and using up battery juice.

BTW, the Escape fob above looks like it has a button for the power rear door that the BS does not have.
Sponsored