Evanm14

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5 and Ford F 150
Does it bother you that Ford makes some of their vehicles outside the US and do you feel it's made just as well? The Bronco Sport and Mach-E will be made in Mexico. Do you feel it's just "American" as the Mustang or future larger Bronco?
-I owned a 2018 Jeep Compass made in Mexico which turned out to be a lemon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
From a geopolitical standpoint, it isn't a bad thing for Mexico to have a strong economy and developed industrial base. It would help with immigration issues, cartel crime, and other issues of having a third world county next door. From that standpoint, I would rather see U.S. manufacturers who choose to offshore, go there rather than Asia. I have have some manufactured goods from Mexico (Panasonic TVs and some U.S. branded appliances) that have performed well over time.
I have read that there have been some quality issues with automobile manufacturing in Mexico. Honda had some issues with their Celaya, Mexico plant and Mazda with their CX-30.

I certainly don't feel it's "just American" as a fully domestically produced vehicle, but that is non-existent anymore. We are globalized now. There may be some significance as to final assembly point regarding quality, but it is more likely how well the manufacturer has instilled their culture rather than the geographic location.

OP
OP
Evanm14

Evanm14

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5 and Ford F 150
From a geopolitical standpoint, it isn't a bad thing for Mexico to have a strong economy and developed industrial base. It would help with immigration issues, cartel crime, and other issues of having a third world county next door. From that standpoint, I would rather see U.S. manufacturers who choose to offshore, go there rather than Asia. I have have some manufactured goods from Mexico (Panasonic TVs and some U.S. branded appliances) that have performed well over time.
I have read that there have been some quality issues with automobile manufacturing in Mexico. Honda had some issues with their Celaya, Mexico plant and Mazda with their CX-30.

I certainly don't feel it's "just American" as a fully domestically produced vehicle, but that is non-existent anymore. We are globalized now. There may be some significance as to final assembly point regarding quality, but it is more likely how well the manufacturer has instilled their culture rather than the geographic location.
I currently have the Mazda CX-5 (soon to be called CX-50) with no issues at all. I believe mostly everything in it is Japanese made according to the sales sticker. My car is coming off lease in several months which made me curious with the CX-30 until I saw that the North American models are sources in MX with Indonesian parts. Japanese domestic customers have theirs made in Japan. What were the issues with the CX-30 that you read online?

Simmy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Doesn't bother me any more than when my phone, sneakers, etc. are American brands but made assembled in another country, which is to say it doesn't bother me at all.

As much as I like buying American for patriotic and sentimental reasons, Ford is a public company afterall and charged with maximizing profits for shareholders. Assembling vehicles in other countries helps maximize profits.

Plus, manufacturing plants in other countries should all have the same assembly processes and quality control as domestic plants. And plant workers in other countries are often at least as diligent (if not more) than US workers.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I currently have the Mazda CX-5 (soon to be called CX-50) with no issues at all. I believe mostly everything in it is Japanese made according to the sales sticker. My car is coming off lease in several months which made me curious with the CX-30 until I saw that the North American models are sources in MX with Indonesian parts. Japanese domestic customers have theirs made in Japan. What were the issues with the CX-30 that you read online?
I have a Hiroshima built CX-5 also, with no issues.

What I actually stated was, "I have read that there have been some quality issues with automobile manufacturing in Mexico. Honda had some issues with their Celaya, Mexico plant and Mazda with their CX-30"

A few years back, I was researching the CX-30, prior to it's release and read concerns based on Mazda's startup problems with the plant in Salamanca. Apparently, there were issues with supplier quality that resulted in substandard parts. Additionally, there were problems with getting the labor force trained due to their lack of manufacturing background. Mind you, this was a few years ago, so these issues may have been resolved. I didn't mean to infer that the CX-30 has ongoing quality problems, rather Honda and Mazda have had quality issues and challenges manufacturing in Mexico.

I could not find the CX-30 article I read, but here is an earlier article regarding some of the issues I had read elsewhere: https://www.autonews.com/article/20140310/OEM01/303109982/mazda-s-challenges-in-crucial-mexico-plant-ramp-up

But like I indicated in my earlier post, I have many Mexican-produced products that have held up extremely well.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Pretty much everything in this class is made over seas, Bronco Sport, compass, CX30, Trailblazer, Seltos, etc.

But ford has the most hourly employees out of any auto maker so at least they are trying to keep America working.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I'd be more concerned about where the parts are made.
1.5 Ecoboost is made in either Uk or Germany or Romania. (Can’t find a USA factory)
2.0 Ecoboost is made in Ohio
8 speed auto made in Michigan.
That’s the big stuff

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
1.5 Ecoboost is made in either Uk or Germany or Romania. (Can’t find a USA factory)
2.0 Ecoboost is made in Ohio
8 speed auto made in Michigan.
That’s the big stuff
The 1.5L Ecoboost is made in Chihuahua, Mexico. So is the 2.5L motor for the hybrid when it shows up.

The 2.0L Ecoboost can be from Cleveland, Ohio or Valencia, Spain.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 1.5L Ecoboost is made in Chihuahua, Mexico. So is the 2.5L motor for the hybrid when it shows up.

The 2.0L Ecoboost can be from Cleveland, Ohio or Valencia, Spain.
2.5 is made in Michigan for the most part. The hybrid part is in mexico.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't buy any new hybrid in the first 2 years of it's production anyway.
I wouldn’t buy a hybrid period. It’s probably going to be a $4000 option over the 1.5. That’s a lot of gas I can buy for the 1.5.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I wouldn’t buy a hybrid period. It’s probably going to be a $4000 option over the 1.5. That’s a lot of gas I can buy for the 1.5.
More like <$1,000 for a conventional HEV, ~$4000 for a PHEV.

For comparison, the 2020 Escape SE Sport, which has the SE features plus the hybrid engine, full digital dash, leather steering wheel and black wheels is only $1160 more money than the Escape SE with the 1.5L Ecoboost. I would assume that pricing would be similar for the Bronco Sport. We will have to wait and see

The good thing about the hybrid is that it has a naturally aspirated, 4-cylinder engine that has been around for years (Mazda L derivative) and has solid reliability. The 2.5L engine was also beefed up with forged rods and chromoly cylinder liners, both unusual for such a low output engine.

Having a CVT is a bit of a downer, but the Escape hybrid reviewers have noted that it is a good CVT and the power plant is a solid package.
Sponsored