Jaynef

Base
First Name
Jayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, 2021
I purchased a new 2021 Bronco Sport, and I have less than 14K miles on it. Ford recently installed a new engine in it, the old one had coolant leaking into the head gasket. Anyway, the best gas mileage I have ever had is 24.4 miles per gallon. I see other with over 30 MPG. No one has posted as low as mine. What's the deal?
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Those people are most likely driving the 1.5L.

I have a Badlands and get equal or less than you for MPG

What trim do you have?

OP
OP

Jaynef

Base
First Name
Jayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, 2021

What trim do you have?
I have a 1.5 as well, the base model.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Depends on many factors. Engine used, tires, city vs hwy driving in any given trip, external mods put on the vehicle. I'm getting like 16-20 just strictly in town driving stopping like 7-10 times before I get to work in a 5 min drive time on a 2.0 BL edition, so not alot of miles per gal there. Better than my v8 f150 that gets 12 or less same route. Hwy driving I can get 20-25mpg maybe more if I'm not so heavy on the gas. I also drive in normal mode often and don't use Eco mode as much as I used to.

Edit: Also if it is a new engine, you will have to break in the new engine just as if you were breaking in the vehicle brand new.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Driving habits then. How heavy of a foot do you have, highways vs city, hills vs flat, etc. Anyone can get good MPG but whats the fun in that

OP
OP

Jaynef

Base
First Name
Jayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, 2021

What trim do you have?
hmmmm. I have a 1.5 as well, the base model.

OP
OP

Jaynef

Base
First Name
Jayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, 2021
Depends on many factors. Engine used, tires, city vs hwy driving in any given trip, external mods put on the vehicle. I'm getting like 16-20 just strictly in town driving stopping like 7-10 times before I get to work in a 5 min drive time on a 2.0 BL edition, so not alot of miles per gal there. Better than my v8 f150 that gets 12 or less same route. Hwy driving I can get 20-25mpg maybe more if I'm not so heavy on the gas. I also drive in normal mode often and don't use Eco mode as much as I used to.

Edit: Also if it is a new engine, you will have to break in the new engine just as if you were breaking in the vehicle brand new.
I'm not too heavy on the gas, there is stopping and starting in traffic, but I just took a trip and there was no change in the MPG.

OP
OP

Jaynef

Base
First Name
Jayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, 2021

What trim do you have?
I have a 1.5 as well, the base model.

GoHack

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
With my Badlands, w/its 2.0L, I was getting around 25 MPG doing 70, using Semi-Synthetic, in cruise control, on a fairly level highway.
This past weekend, I changed over to Full Synthetic, and doing the same route as above, it went up to around 28 MPG doing 70.

Larryjaquins

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I get 23 mpg in town. I took a road trip to Seattle Washington and got 30 mpg going over the mountain pass.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You live in Idaho, and it's winter. If your use profile includes a lot of short trips with a cold engine you will see much lower than EPA-estimated fuel economy. Track it over the summer months when it's warmer and I suspect you'll see as good or better than average fuel economy.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I purchased a new 2021 Bronco Sport, and I have less than 14K miles on it. Ford recently installed a new engine in it, the old one had coolant leaking into the head gasket. Anyway, the best gas mileage I have ever had is 24.4 miles per gallon. I see other with over 30 MPG. No one has posted as low as mine. What's the deal?
I had a 1.5L Big Bend and a 1.5L Outer Banks. I never got 25 mpg on any fillups either. My overall calculated average was 23.8. But, that’s my driving style as I got just under 24 city and lower on highway as I routinely drove well over 80. So far I’m getting 22.3 in my 2.0L

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
2022 Badlands... mixed use around town... averaging 23-24 MPG... in "normal" mode with a light foot!

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '23 Kymco People S 150i ABS
I have a '23 OBX. I'm 78 years old and drive pretty conservatively. I did my first mileage check with 600 miles on the vehicle and got just over 24mpg. All city driving.

Last edited:

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I have a '23 OBX. I'm 78 years old and drive pretty conservatively. I did my first mileage check with 600 miles on the vehicle and got just over 24mpg.
There is no one easy answer to your mpg. There are so many variables to consider that mpg will range from 20-22 city to upwards of 34-36 hwy., even more! Driving style, terrain, altitude, temperature, cargo, passengers, etc, etc, etc. I could easily list a dozen other things that affect mpg.

I personally get an 15000 mile avg of 34.7 mpg. I'm a very conservative driver, I do the speed limit, use cruise as much as possible and believe it or not have fun driving. I really like low insurance rates, no tickets and squeezing that last tenth of a mile out of a gallon of gas. I have added a few mods to my 1.5 that have helped as well. Your engine is still tight, some more breaking in is needed to get the most out of it. All you can do is really focus on driving inputs no matter what part of the country you live in. I think you will start seeing better mpg as time goes on if everything else is still the same. Have fun!
Sponsored

Last edited: