Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
What year model is yours ? 21 here no problems.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The GM told me they will take care of it.

This may have been discussed in another post, but has anyone else experienced a flapping or buffeting sound at highway speeds on the driver side around the A pillar?
In high wind conditions, there is a noise but it sounds to be from underneath the vehicles. There is a post about that.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
In high wind conditions, there is a noise but it sounds to be from underneath the vehicles. There is a post about that.
Yeah some times that felt card board like lining under floor has flapped around at speed on some sports. Hasn't done it on mine but some times fasteners loose missing and the flimsy thing can flap around.

Sacto4475

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
I actually had this happen to me a few days ago. Driving in a residential area, maybe 20-25 mph, going straight and then heard a loud thump in the rear. It sounded like I hit something. I parked and didn't notice any significant damage to the vehicle, so I assumed that maybe I didn't engage my trailer hitch bike rack all the way in the closed position and it dropped and made a loud thud. Although now that I think about it, it sounds like I had the same exact experience that you had.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
My Bronco Sport Badlands has around 1,000 miles on it. On four occasions (so far) I have experienced a loud, violent bang noise that seems to come from the rear of the vehicle on the driver’s side.

It sounds and feels similar to hitting a very large pothole.

It has happened when turning every time. My foot has been on or just removed from the brake pedal.

My dealer has not been helpful. They simply state that everything looks OK.

Do you guys have any idea about what it could be?

I’m very disappointed. Unfortunately, I am beginning to regret this vehicle very quickly, especially because my dealer won’t help me.
Mine only did it once, but as an avid reader of these forums, I knew there was an issue with pins sliding out of place and loose screws holdinng the rear brake calipers.
I brought my Bronco in for another issue, and told them what happened. I also told them that it had only happened once, so it probably could not be repeated. I cited the issues I had read about with the loose bolts, and pins, and asked them to please check it.
I got the car back with a note on the Service order that said "Could not Duplicate".
I then called Ford Corporate Customer line, and told them the issue.
Their immediate response was. If they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it.
Thank You Ford Motor Company for concern about customer safety.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Mine only did it once, but as an avid reader of these forums, I knew there was an issue with pins sliding out of place and loose screws holdinng the rear brake calipers.
I brought my Bronco in for another issue, and told them what happened. I also told them that it had only happened once, so it probably could not be repeated. I cited the issues I had read about with the loose bolts, and pins, and asked them to please check it.
I got the car back with a note on the Service order that said "Could not Duplicate".
I then called Ford Corporate Customer line, and told them the issue.
Their immediate response was. If they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it.
Thank You Ford Motor Company for concern about customer safety.
I understand how frustrating it is when you experience a problem and the dealership isn’t able to replicate it and fix it.

Vehicles have a tendency to be on their best behavior when in the presence of a technician.

I experienced about four loud bangs. The last one was particularly violent and concerning.

Since the last one happened several months ago my Badlands has been flawless. It works perfectly without any issues.

I don’t know why it doesn’t do it anymore or why it did it to begin with.

My dealership recently performed the TSB related to brake noise, which I only experienced a little of right away in the morning, and it still works flawlessly. No brake noise at all, even on extremely cold days.

Ford Motor Company reached out to me about the issue and their representative was very helpful. It was taken seriously and they handled a lot of communication within the dealership and made sure the TSB was done.

Ford gave me their Premium Care warranty as a goodwill gesture and for peace of mind.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I understand how frustrating it is when you experience a problem and the dealership isn’t able to replicate it and fix it.

Vehicles have a tendency to be on their best behavior when in the presence of a technician.

I experienced about four loud bangs. The last one was particularly violent and concerning.

Since the last one happened several months ago my Badlands has been flawless. It works perfectly without any issues.

I don’t know why it doesn’t do it anymore or why it did it to begin with.

My dealership recently performed the TSB related to brake noise, which I only experienced a little of right away in the morning, and it still works flawlessly. No brake noise at all, even on extremely cold days.

Ford Motor Company reached out to me about the issue and their representative was very helpful. It was taken seriously and they handled a lot of communication within the dealership and made sure the TSB was done.

Ford gave me their Premium Care warranty as a goodwill gesture and for peace of mind.
I have a very likely (Plausible) theory of why it hasn't happened again, and I don't like and neither will you.
If it was one of the loose pins, or bolts that I've read about, it probably snapped off the last time it happened, so - - - now you just have to wait for the brake to fall apart, or something worse.
NOTE: That's what I asked them to check when I brought it in. But no Sir - if it doesn't happen on the test drive, it didn't happen.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm curious, what response would have been satisfactory for you in this case?
How about. We pulled the wheel and checked the brakes and everything is in place and secure?
That's what I asked them to do. I'd have done it myself, but I wouldn't know what a correctly assembled Ford brake caliper looks like, and specifically where the pin that might have dropped out, or snapped would be.
All I have to respond to your question is "WOW". So let me take a wild stab here. If your Bronco lurched enough to feel like someone hit you from behind, and Ford wouldn't look at it, You'd be confident to take it on a Road Trip ? ? ?

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a very likely (Plausible) theory of why it hasn't happened again, and I don't like and neither will you.
If it was one of the loose pins, or bolts that I've read about, it probably snapped off the last time it happened, so - - - now you just have to wait for the brake to fall apart, or something worse.
NOTE: That's what I asked them to check when I brought it in. But no Sir - if it doesn't happen on the test drive, it didn't happen.
I would hope that when the dealership did the TSB on the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago they would have noticed something like that.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I would hope that when the dealership did the TSB on the rear brakes a couple of weeks ago they would have noticed something like that.
After the demonstration of incompetence I've had on the few trips I've already made for Ford Service, they wouldn't recognize an oil leak if it was dripping on their head.
I have seriously considered trading my BSOB in even though I love it's appearance, have gotten it ceramic coated, and enforce a strict rule that there's no eating and definitely no smoking allowed.
I did a look-up on trade in value, and it's $13K lower now than it was a couple of months ago.
I don't suppose the recall for a gas leak on the engine that doesn't have an estimated fix date, and the fix is going to be a band-aid drain hose that doesn't even replace the faulty line.
Maybe I'll get a Kia. They give out a free club to address their easily tampered with ignition.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
How about. We pulled the wheel and checked the brakes and everything is in place and secure?
That's what I asked them to do. I'd have done it myself, but I wouldn't know what a correctly assembled Ford brake caliper looks like, and specifically where the pin that might have dropped out, or snapped would be.
All I have to respond to your question is "WOW". So let me take a wild stab here. If your Bronco lurched enough to feel like someone hit you from behind, and Ford wouldn't look at it, You'd be confident to take it on a Road Trip ? ? ?
You brought it in for a specific issue--a loud bang--which they could not duplicate. I've been involved in the maintenance business for a very long time; the first step to troubleshoot a problem is to observe it. If you cannot complete that critical first step then repairs are not possible.

I view the question of whether your dealership completed your requested inspection as a different issue. You didn't mention whether or not they did. Did you ask? If they told you they didn't inspect the brakes (if you have a lift you don't need to pull the wheel to inspect the brakes) did you ask why not?

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
You brought it in for a specific issue--a loud bang--which they could not duplicate. I've been involved in the maintenance business for a very long time; the first step to troubleshoot a problem is to observe it. If you cannot complete that critical first step then repairs are not possible.

I view the question of whether your dealership completed your requested inspection as a different issue. You didn't mention whether or not they did. Did you ask? If they told you they didn't inspect the brakes (if you have a lift you don't need to pull the wheel to inspect the brakes) did you ask why not?
Glad I never had maintenance done at your shop.
There's a known problem.
I had an experience that could easily have been caused by that problem.
If your company or research showed that there is an issue, you shouldn't have to replicate the issue to have it checked.
If I have a tire that's losing air, and I take it to the tire shop, they're not going to tell me they can't do anything about it until the tire's completely flat.
Your answer is what's wrong with business in general today.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
There's a known problem.
If your company or research showed that there is an issue, you shouldn't have to replicate the issue to have it checked.
If I have a tire that's losing air, and I take it to the tire shop, they're not going to tell me they can't do anything about it until the tire's completely flat.
Your answer is what's wrong with business in general today.
With respect: like everything else these days- you need to be the one driving the experience, so to speak. The question Mark S asked is relevant - did they do the inspection on the brake caliper or not? If they can't duplicate the noise, that's not going to help them narrow it down so the notation is correct. If you requested a brake inspection and it wasn't on the report, that's an entirely different issue and yes, you should have followed up on that request.

With your tire example, if they keep the car and can't find a leak and the tire doesn't go flat for them, the line on that item is going to be the same - can't duplicate.

If your shop doesn't appreciate you being an educated owner that knows to ask these things, find a different shop. Good repair shops don't mind having conversations with their customers about this stuff.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There's a known problem.
Look, I'm not trying to bust your b@11s here. The reality is there's no evidence I'm aware of to suggest the symptom you describe is related to the recent TSB involving the rear brakes. That TSB is meant to fix a noise issue that occurs when backing up at slow speeds. It's described as a moaning or whining noise, not a bang, and it has nothing to do with loose caliper bolts. There's no reason a service shop would relate your symptom with that issue. I'm not suggesting there is no issue with your car, I'm just saying it doesn't sound related to the recent TSB.

So, did you ask if they inspected the brakes?
Sponsored