Loud, violent bang from rear

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My Bronco Sport Badlands has around 1,000 miles on it. On four occasions (so far) I have experienced a loud, violent bang noise that seems to come from the rear of the vehicle on the driver’s side.

It sounds and feels similar to hitting a very large pothole.

It has happened when turning every time. My foot has been on or just removed from the brake pedal.

My dealer has not been helpful. They simply state that everything looks OK.

Do you guys have any idea about what it could be?

I’m very disappointed. Unfortunately, I am beginning to regret this vehicle very quickly, especially because my dealer won’t help me.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You said it "feels" like hitting a pothole. Can you be specific? Do you feel it in the seat/steering wheel/floor? Does it make the steering wheel turn one way or another? Are you certain you didn't actually hit a pothole or run over an object?

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
My Bronco Sport Badlands has around 1,000 miles on it. On four occasions (so far) I have experienced a loud, violent bang noise that seems to come from the rear of the vehicle on the driver’s side.

It has happened when turning every time. My foot has been on or just removed from the brake pedal.

I’m very disappointed. Unfortunately, I am beginning to regret this vehicle very quickly, especially because my dealer won’t help me.
I had this happen once and it scared the shit out of me. Felt like the whole car lifted up. I remember it distinctly as I was close to being home and I had the pups in the car. I think I chalked it up to the autohold trying to disengage or something like that. But I agree, it doesn't sound good at all and feels horrible, definitely not a healthy sound.

And similarly it felt like it was something that was going on in the rear diff.

Do you use autohold? After that, I've been using it a lot more deliberately and that seems to have helped.

I think @EscapeBronco has experienced this as well, if someone knows how to tag him, maybe he could provide more insight.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said it "feels" like hitting a pothole. Can you be specific? Do you feel it in the seat/steering wheel/floor? Does it make the steering wheel turn one way or another? Are you certain you didn't actually hit a pothole or run over an object?
It can be felt throughout the vehicle and the sound is coming from the rear. The steering wheel doesn’t move and it has happened on very smooth roads/parking lots.

I had this happen once and it scared the shit out of me. Felt like the whole car lifted up. I remember it distinctly as I was close to being home and I had the pups in the car. I think I chalked it up to the autohold trying to disengage or something like that. But I agree, it doesn't sound good at all and feels horrible, definitely not a healthy sound.

And similarly it felt like it was something that was going on in the rear diff.

Do you use autohold? After that, I've been using it a lot more deliberately and that seems to have helped.

I think @EscapeBronco has experienced this as well, if someone knows how to tag him, maybe he could provide more insight.
We don’t use auto hold and never have.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
I already have reached out and have a case number.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Yea that sucks, and I'll confirm, it happened to me at slow speeds as well. It was so violent that I stopped and got out and looked around to see if I had hit anything, nothing was around and I hadn't, so it was something in the back of the car that seemed like it turned over when it didn't want to/shouldn't have.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea that sucks, and I'll confirm, it happened to me at slow speeds as well. It was so violent that I stopped and got out and looked around to see if I had hit anything, nothing was around and I hadn't, so it was something in the back of the car that seemed like it turned over when it didn't want to/shouldn't have.
Exactly. Something is going very wrong somewhere.

We feel helpless right now. We just want it to be taken seriously and fixed.

It’s our only vehicle (one of us is legally blind) and being told to not drive it so much as a solution is not acceptable.

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
LOL, Ford Dealers. The only thing I can think of to do would be to try to replicate it and then put a GoPro near the rear suspension to try to capture it. Keep a log as to when it happens. First drive? Rain the night before? Check your rear suspension for any missing bolts. That was a problem in the past. If you're really concerned, take it to a non-dealer mechanic.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
So my experience is a bit different. Mine happens at a stop with auto stop on (engine off ) when it all the sudden feels like someone punted me in the rear. It does not make a loud noise but feels like it just got tapped in the rear.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
When I had purchased my 2014 Honda CR-V, I experienced a loud "thump" noise in the rear of my vehicle that started happening after maybe the first 500 miles - after I made the service advisor drive with me in the car, they finally heard the noise. Ended up that the rear strut was overtightened where it attached to the vehicle. I had to go back three times.

Might be worth checking to make sure "everything looks good" isn't "everything looks good and is super tight".

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention that my vehicle was returned to me with a scratch next to the drivers side door handle.

I am more than unhappy.

The bang has not happened again yet. Maybe because the last time was so violent it fixed itself. Who knows!?

In fact, it’s been flawless since then… other than the brakes groaning occasionally.

Only time will tell.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
So my experience is a bit different. Mine happens at a stop with auto stop on (engine off ) when it all the sudden feels like someone punted me in the rear. It does not make a loud noise but feels like it just got tapped in the rear.
I had that exact feeling with my 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser. They replaced the drive shaft and it was gone.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I forgot to mention that my vehicle was returned to me with a scratch next to the drivers side door handle.

I am more than unhappy.

The bang has not happened again yet. Maybe because the last time was so violent it fixed itself. Who knows!?

In fact, it’s been flawless since then… other than the brakes groaning occasionally.

Only time will tell.
Is your dealer going to fix the scratch? That should be an easy fix.

OP
OP

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your dealer going to fix the scratch? That should be an easy fix.
The GM told me they will take care of it.

This may have been discussed in another post, but has anyone else experienced a flapping or buffeting sound at highway speeds on the driver side around the A pillar?
Sponsored