BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
Just broke the 51,000 mile mark on the odometer, so thought I should report in. I have a 2021 Big Bend with the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Of course I do drive a lot. Numerous trips from my home in southeast Wisconsin across the U.P. of Michigan, Detroit, southern Indiana and Kentucky, Twin Cities, and other places I can't remember right now. I don't off-road, but I have driven in plenty of snow and ice.

To summarize, really have not had any major problems so far. Only warranty issue was a leaking shock absorber. Engine appears solid, no oil burning or oil loss so far. I do change the oil every 5-6,000 miles, which I am sure many of you will think is overkill. I got that tip from a Ford mechanic, he says the eco boost engines run hotter then your average engine, so he believes in more frequent oil changes.

I have experienced a couple problems documented on this board:

1. Engine coolant loss. Mine is not a severe as others, I have had to pour in about 2 1/2 quarts since I bought the vehicle in February of 2021. No visible leaks, no white smoke in the exhaust when starting the engine, and nothing I can see or smell in the oil. I am taking the vehicle to the dealer next week, this is not normal to just have coolant disappear. However, the engine temperature has never run above normal either. BTW, back in January, I stopped into a Ford dealer and bought a gallon of the pre-mixed coolant.

2. Brake noise when backing up. I get this only after the vehicle has sat for a few hours or over overnight. I do need new brake pads on the rear brakes, but the noise has been there basically since the beginning. My wife bought a 2021 Ford Escape about a year ago, has 17,000 miles on it, and it makes the same noise.

Looking at the maintenance schedule, it says change the transmission fluid at 150,000 miles (normal driving)? I also have a friend who re-builds transmissions for a living, he thinks that is just plain nuts.

Overall, love the vehicle. Yes, have a couple items, but I am confident I can get them resolved. Oh, and by the way, I do have an engine cover!
Sponsored

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Just broke the 51,000 mile mark on the odometer, so thought I should report in. I have a 2021 Big Bend with the 1.5 3 cylinder engine. Of course I do drive a lot. Numerous trips from my home in southeast Wisconsin across the U.P. of Michigan, Detroit, southern Indiana and Kentucky, Twin Cities, and other places I can't remember right now. I don't off-road, but I have driven in plenty of snow and ice.

To summarize, really have not had any major problems so far. Only warranty issue was a leaking shock absorber. Engine appears solid, no oil burning or oil loss so far. I do change the oil every 5-6,000 miles, which I am sure many of you will think is overkill. I got that tip from a Ford mechanic, he says the eco boost engines run hotter then your average engine, so he believes in more frequent oil changes.

1. Engine coolant loss. Mine is not a severe as others, I have had to pour in about 2 1/2 quarts since I bought the vehicle in February of 2021. No visible leaks, no white smoke in the exhaust when starting the engine, and nothing I can see or smell in the oil. I am taking the vehicle to the dealer next week, this is not normal to just have coolant disappear. However, the engine temperature has never run above normal either. BTW, back in January, I stopped into a Ford dealer and bought a gallon of the pre-mixed coolant.

2. Brake noise when backing up. I get this only after the vehicle has sat for a few hours or over overnight. I do need new brake pads on the rear brakes, but the noise has been there basically since the beginning. My wife bought a 2021 Ford Escape about a year ago, has 17,000 miles on it, and it makes the same noise.

Looking at the maintenance schedule, it says change the transmission fluid at 150,000 miles (normal driving)? I also have a friend who re-builds transmissions for a living, he thinks that is just plain nuts.

Overall, love the vehicle. Yes, have a couple items, but I am confident I can get them resolved. Oh, and by the way, I do have an engine cover!
Nice report, appreciate your time to inform us all.

Ford Bronco Sport 51,000 Mile Report - Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Edition ED93888F-57FD-4BCA-AA50-8526EA2619E5

Ford Bronco Sport 51,000 Mile Report - Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Edition 0F8FCC37-0D41-40E5-A8B8-040B4706B2CB

Ford Bronco Sport 51,000 Mile Report - Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend Edition E6187AD0-87C7-4D67-8CDE-AD457633E116

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
50,000 miles wow good on you. these things are built to be driven, they really are little tanks.
also a 1.5 here, and no issues other than the weird brake noise when backing up first thing in the morning. so i just started backing in when i get home lol.
i also do earlier oil changes, been a firm believer in fresh oil for years.
no coolant loss here tho, that's an odd one.
keep rollin along, i'm also a very happy camper!
good write up!

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
The PTU should have it's fluid drained at 30k miles. Don't listen to the scheduled maintenance. Plenty of videos on this from Ford techs. Your tranny guy is right. Also I would start looking into walnut treatment because of the TDGI.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah my 2021 is all set to go in next week. I’m expecting an answer on why or where my antifreeze is getting out. About a quart every 4k miles.
If my dealer doesn’t address it I’ll let Ford try. I’m under warranty so not worried. If the leak is not stopped I’ll sell it.

kennyroo

Big Bend
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

why does he believe that it’s nuts to change the transmission fluid at 150,000? care to enlighten ? i hear not not change it out at all as well... could cause the transmission to slip?

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I don’t buy in to it

1 VW w/ 180k
1 Toyota RAV4 170K
1 87 Ford Bronco Full size bought at 140k sold at 220k = 80k
1 Toyota Land Cruiser bought 110k sold at 180K =70k
1 Toyota Corolla bought 55k sold 200k+ =145k
03 Lariat =100K miles
Excursion = 120k

multiple other ford, AudI, leases and shorter term ownerships I wont count because they were new or very low miles sold or turned in so I won’t mention

So that’s 7 very different vehicles owned for medium to long terms driven @ 850,000 miles Combined

transmission service and flushes = ZERO
Now, some of them I picked up used, they may have had service done. I only included the miles I owned.

DEPENDING on your driving conditions, I don’t believe it is necessary. As long as it’s not leaking, feels normal, and fluid color stays consistent.

this is not my theory. I adopted it. Sometimes our OCD can get in the way of practicality. If it ain’t broke….. kinda thing.

Shell out the money if it scratches your itch.

more Bravo opinions

what I would not do, is wait to 150,000 miles. if you a flusher, then flush.
at 150k miles, vehicles are dialed. If it’s functioning normally and fluid color normal. I wouldn’t touch it. A flush may agitate a happy unit

additionally,

A/C service-recharges = ZERO
Coolant flushes = ZERO
Differential = ZERO

my whole life of owning vehicles

If it’s working normally leave it. once you break the factory seals, will Enter the “service cycle”.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I’ve burned up three differentials,
One serviced on time, died at 200,000 miles, one never serviced, it disintegrated @150,000, and one with under 50,000 miles got noisy
All these vehicles were interstate cruisers, and some city all with half ton cargo loads.
No dip stick to inspect tranny fluids,
My way is simple, because these newer vehicles have so much tech and it’s super expensive to repair or replace.
I’ll change the PTO fluid @ 50,000 and trade the vehicle before 100,000….

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigBend

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t buy in to it

1 VW w/ 180k
1 Toyota RAV4 170K
1 87 Ford Bronco Full size bought at 140k sold at 220k = 80k
1 Toyota Land Cruiser bought 110k sold at 180K =70k
1 Toyota Corolla bought 55k sold 200k+ =145k
03 Lariat =100K miles
Excursion = 120k

multiple other ford, AudI, leases and shorter term ownerships I wont count because they were new or very low miles sold or turned in so I won’t mention

So that’s 7 very different vehicles owned for medium to long terms driven @ 850,000 miles Combined

transmission service and flushes = ZERO
Now, some of them I picked up used, they may have had service done. I only included the miles I owned.

DEPENDING on your driving conditions, I don’t believe it is necessary. As long as it’s not leaking, feels normal, and fluid color stays consistent.

this is not my theory. I adopted it. Sometimes our OCD can get in the way of practicality. If it ain’t broke….. kinda thing.

Shell out the money if it scratches your itch.

more Bravo opinions

what I would not do, is wait to 150,000 miles. if you a flusher, then flush.
at 150k miles, vehicles are dialed. If it’s functioning normally and fluid color normal. I wouldn’t touch it. A flush may agitate a happy unit

additionally,

A/C service-recharges = ZERO
Coolant flushes = ZERO
Differential = ZERO

my whole life of owning vehicles

If it’s working normally leave it. once you break the factory seals, will Enter the “service cycle”.
A number of reasons to change transmission fluid:

- Does act as a lubricant, it loses the ability to lubricate over time
- Cools the transmission components
- Collects and suspends contaminants

Worn fluid reduces capability to do the above. Changing fluid once in a while is a cheaper alternative to a new transmission.

paulflhx

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I owned a 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited since new. Presently has 140k miles. The worst thing I did was change the transmission fluid at 128k miles at the insistance of the dealership and my Mopar warranty representative to keep the warranty valid. Ended up needing a new transmission. Here's why: transmission fluid is highly detergent, but loses potency over time. Your transmission gets coated with carbon etc and becomes quite happy with itself. Now add in new highly detergent transmission fluid and it breaks up the nice coating established. Those particles clog every part of the transission including the very delicate solenoids. Filters don't help here. It never shifted correctly after the fluid change. I was under a lifetime mopar max care plus warranty. Chrysler decided it was cheaper to replace with a rebuilt transmission than repair it. I waited 3 months to get the transmission. BTW I learned the above from my 4x4 shop, No Excuses Jeep, in New Egypt NJ. He knew immediately what had happened when I told him I did the fluid replacement.
A number of reasons to change transmission fluid:

- Does act as a lubricant, it loses the ability to lubricate over time
- Cools the transmission components
- Collects and suspends contaminants

Worn fluid reduces capability to do the above. Changing fluid once in a while is a cheaper alternative to a new transmission.

OP
OP
BigBend

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I forgot to mention is I replaced the Continental tires that came with vehicle. They really wore down quickly, I think I maybe made 38K miles. I also had them get punctured twice by road debris. On my other vehicles over the years, I could usually get 50K out of a set of tires.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yeah no need to change transmission fluid just let the clutch shavings and metal shavings float around in there no worries. Same with differentials just let the oil degrade get dirty out of site out of mind. So and so went 200k miles and didn't have a problem so that is proof that maintenance is not beneficial.

paulflhx

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Clutch shavings and metal shavings? "Floating around" at 150k miles? Doesn't the filter trap those? Many certified mechanics say never touch the fluid ever, as another poster mentioned. All I can tell you about my experience was that my transmission was performing perfectly prior to the fluid change and even the service manager confided that was probably the cause of my transmission problem.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Clutch shavings and metal shavings? "Floating around" at 150k miles? Doesn't the filter trap those? Many certified mechanics say never touch the fluid ever, as another poster mentioned. All I can tell you about my experience was that my transmission was performing perfectly prior to the fluid change and even the service manager confided that was probably the cause of my transmission problem.
I think that there is a big difference between regular maintenance, say every 30-40k miles, and never touching it until 120k.
Sponsored