Yokohama vs Pirelli vs Falken

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Choices, choices. :confused: I plan on staying with 225/65R17 tire size. My picks so far: Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, Scorpion All Terrain Plus and Falken WildPeak A/T Trail.

My driving pattern is 90% highway with half of that over mountain terrain, another 5% in town and last 5% over hilly gravel roads. Gravel roads may not get plowed regularly so getting to town could be problematic sometimes. I don't expect that to be a frequent occurrence though. With a lot of highway driving I value tire's impact on gas milage and quietness.

So as you can all see, I have a few conflicting priorities there and could use some help swaying me towards one of these tires. Thanks!
Sponsored

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Choices, choices. :confused: I plan on staying with 225/65R17 tire size. My picks so far: Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, Scorpion All Terrain Plus and Falken WildPeak A/T Trail.

My driving pattern is 90% highway with half of that over mountain terrain, another 5% in town and last 5% over hilly gravel roads. Gravel roads may not get plowed regularly so getting to town could be problematic sometimes. I don't expect that to be a frequent occurrence though. With a lot of highway driving I value tire's impact on gas milage and quietness.

So as you can all see, I have a few conflicting priorities there and could use some help swaying me towards one of these tires. Thanks!
I suggest you look at The Tire Rack's costumer survey and test reports. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

The Scorpion A/T+ is much higher rated than the GO15 while the Falken A/T Trail, is unrated at this time. The Falken WildPeak A/T 3W did do extremely well in their 9/21 test but do to a lack of costumer survey reports, is still unrated.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I chose the Yoko’s because I’ve already had them for two years on my Escape. They are right for me.
Btw I don’t buy tires for looks.
Tires ain’t pretty, they are tires.

Justin

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend + BB
I've only been driving the Bronco Sport for a few weeks, but I've dealt with gravel, mud, and snow both in-town and on the highway in a short while. Currently running stock sized 225/65R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on stock rims and I love it.

Tried to spin the tires a few times today after the first good dump we've had and could only break loose turning and gunning it. Slippery and sand mode in my BB seem to work well for keeping the vehicle from going squirrely, but every other mode was honestly just as good.

My daily drive is from a typically unplowed subdivision to a perhaps plowed town road and onto a, yet again, typically unplowed military base. I often visit family that's out in the country and down a long gravel driveway, and I also enjoy going on adventures down local roads and trails - although I'll admit that I haven't been too adventurous just yet.

Just to add: I'm averaging around 8L/100km with mixed driving that definitely favours "in town" most of the time, so you'd likely see slightly better mileage. Road noise is about what you'd expect, maybe a little louder, but nothing that is perceivably annoying - you can easily have a conversation still.

OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirerack is a good source, it's just hard to narrow it down based on my criteria. About the only reason I didn't mention Falken Wildpeak AT3W is cause I didn't see them on Tirerack or at my preferred local shop in size I mentioned. Have no experience with Toyo.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I have driven my new BS at highway speeds twice and the factory installed Wildpeaks are quiet and smooth.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirerack is a good source, it's just hard to narrow it down based on my criteria. About the only reason I didn't mention Falken Wildpeak AT3W is cause I didn't see them on Tirerack or at my preferred local shop in size I mentioned. Have no experience with Toyo.
Searched by tire size, 225/65/17. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=23234&width=225/&ratio=65&diameter=17&rearWidth=225/&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

As I mentioned before all tires don't show up in their survey results, due to a lack/shortage of info on some tires. But some of those same missing tires have been tested, so test results and survey results should be checked.

Toyo A/TIII has been tested and did, not so great, whereas the Falken A/T3W, tested against the same very good General Grabber ATX, did a little better than the General.

I'd buy the Cooper A/T3 4S or the Falken A/T3W but I'm not you, and have different priorities. Also I'd buy at a min. 235/65/17's. You would also have a slightly different set of choices in that size.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
SM05

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Searched by tire size, 225/65/17. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=23234&width=225/&ratio=65&diameter=17&rearWidth=225/&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

As I mentioned before all tires don't show up in their survey results, due to a lack/shortage of info on some tires. But some of those same missing tires have been tested, so test results and survey results should be checked.

Toyo A/TIII has been tested and did, not so great, whereas the Falken A/T3W, tested against the same very good General Grabber ATX, did a little better than the General.

I'd buy the Cooper A/T3 4S or the Falken A/T3W but I'm not you, and have different priorities. Also I'd buy at a min. 235/65/17's. You would also have a slightly different set of choices in that size.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was filtering Tirerack results down to snow rated only and A/T3W version wasn't showing up. I assumed it was either sold out or not offered in that size (it's available according to Falken's site). Checking out your search I see now that they must've mislabeled that tire as not having snow rating.

Also, interestingly enough, Falken's site shows 225 version to be heavier than 235 one by 2.6lb. Not sure how that makes sense. I wonder if it'd be better to get 235 version instead, cause me thinks the less weight the better gas milage, right?

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for pointing that out. I was filtering Tirerack results down to snow rated only and A/T3W version wasn't showing up. I assumed it was either sold out or not offered in that size (it's available according to Falken's site). Checking out your search I see now that they must've mislabeled that tire as not having snow rating.

Also, interestingly enough, Falken's site shows 225 version to be heavier than 235 one by 2.6lb. Not sure how that makes sense. I wonder if it'd be better to get 235 version instead, cause me thinks the less weight the better gas milage, right?
I had not noticed the weight diff in those two. So, the differences would be, slightly worse acceleration, due to taller tire but better gas mileage (?), in stop and go traffic, due to lower weight. and maybe on the highway due to slightly taller gearing.

You might also be able to pick up a set of Falken, Factory takeoffs cheap from a forum member, who has decided to get a different tire brand or size. You may even, ask TR about takeoffs, wheels or tires.

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Could be different load ratings. Higher load rated tires are a lot heavier.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
They are all very quality tires for what you are looking to do.
On a side note if I had 17s it be BFG KO2 but I'm on 18s so I have Toyo oc at3

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Could be different load ratings. Higher load rated tires are a lot heavier.
I thought that initially too, but the 235s have a higher load rating. They also have a higher speed rating. Both the 225 and 235 are 4-ply, so that isn't the difference either. I suspect a typo...

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought that initially too, but the 235s have a higher load rating. They also have a higher speed rating. Both the 225 and 235 are 4-ply, so that isn't the difference either. I suspect a typo...
Typos are possible and if it's really important to someone, ??? could be posted to the "Hello from Falken Tire" thread. I have been known to call TR with ??? and they sent someone to the warehouse to take measurements.
Sponsored