Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I live in Ohio's snowbelt. I will use the slippery mode if there is snow on the road. If it's really bad then I turn on the 4wd lock. I don't use the rear differential lock because my husband said it was for off roading and we to never turn that on unless he tells me so I'm too scared to use it lol.
You could really throw him a curve ball and read the manual. Heh.

Seriously, the warnings about using rear locker are the same as those for the 4WD lock, so as long as you follow the same use rules (in the manual) you'll be fine. And even if you DO accidentally forget either of these locks before getting on dry pavement you won't explode the drive train. You'll just be adding some unnecessary wear to the clutches until you turn off the locks. You'll hear them chattering to remind you.
Sponsored

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You could really throw him a curve ball and read the manual. Heh.

Seriously, the warnings about using rear locker are the same as those for the 4WD lock, so as long as you follow the same use rules (in the manual) you'll be fine. And even if you DO accidentally forget either of these locks before getting on dry pavement you won't explode the drive train. You'll just be adding some unnecessary wear to the clutches until you turn off the locks. You'll hear them chattering to remind you.
Good to know. I've read it in the past or a description of what it is and still didn't understand šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Good to know. I've read it in the past or a description of what it is and still didn't understand šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø.
Here's all you really need to remember from the manual:

Four-Wheel Drive Lock (If Equipped)

The four-wheel drive lock increases performance by preventing the front and rear axles from disconnecting. You can activate and deactivate the four-wheel drive lock on the fly by pressing the button on the drive mode control. It also engages based on certain selected drive modes. See What Is Drive Mode Control.

Note: The four-wheel drive lock is not intended for use on dry pavement. Using the lock on dry pavement can produce excessive noise, increase tire and vehicle wear.

Rear Differential Lock (If Equipped)

This feature provides additional traction on loose or steep terrain, or should your vehicle become stuck. You can activate and deactivate the rear differential lock feature while moving within the operating speed range by pressing the button on the drive mode control. The feature disengages when the vehicle speed exceeds a set value and it re-engages when the vehicle speed goes below a set value. It also engages based on certain selected drive modes. See Selecting a Drive Mode - 1.5L EcoBoostā„¢.

The rear differential lock is for use in mud, rocks, sand or off-road conditions where you need maximum traction. It is not for use on dry pavement.

Note: This feature is for off-road use only and is not for use on dry pavement. Using the rear differential lock feature on dry pavement can produce excessive noise, and increase tire and vehicle wear. Operating your vehicle in these conditions could subject your vehicle to excessive stress, which may result in damage not covered under your warranty.

Your husband is correct that the rear diff lock should only be used off-road, but if you get stuck on a snow-/ice-covered road I would certainly try engaging ALL the 4WD features to get unstuck before calling a tow truck. Just don't forget to unlock it after you are moving again.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
my wife only drives it in NORMAL

BUT I use
ECO when Iā€™m feeling cheap or dirty
SPORT when Iā€˜m listening to ..uhh well sports..duh
MUD/RUTS when Iā€™m in a rut
SAND when Iā€™m feeling shifty
ROCK/CRAWL when I canā€™t walk

Now, I only use SLIPPERY when I drive out of the car wash OR if I need to sneak out in the middle of the night

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ, 1987 Porsche 944, 2023 RZR XP 1000
Lots of good responses. Slippery should clamp down your traction and stability control limits in addition to dampening your throttle response, so you should feel more stable on crappy roads. If you're rocking out in deep snow or want to channel your inner Ken Block (RIP), throw it in sand mode and let her rip (this applies to both Base/BB/OB and BL/FE).

Here's all you really need to remember from the manual:

Your husband is correct that the rear diff lock should only be used off-road, but if you get stuck on a snow-/ice-covered road I would certainly try engaging ALL the 4WD features to get unstuck before calling a tow truck. Just don't forget to unlock it after you are moving again.
Going down a tangent from OP's question, but definitely agree here. If you're on your own and unfamiliar, I would suggest Mud/Ruts mode as well if stuck (per owner's manual). Ford's Engineers tuned the GOAT modes to help people who don't have lots of off-road experience, so it should give a solid baseline of settings. Add the locker if you're still struggling for traction. As Mark also mentioned, it's clutch based so lower risk of damage if you forget it, plus it can and will automatically disengage while vehicle speed is higher than like 25mph or something. And if you use Mud/Ruts + Locker to get unstuck, you likely won't forget to go back to Normal because the engine will be revving extra high, and when you do select Norm/Slippery it'll reset all your drivetrain settings to the base setting for that mode and disengage your locker automatically.

Of course, my biggest recommendation is always to just practice with the different settings in a controlled environment, ideally with someone who has experience. If you can't make it out to Off Roadeo, Find a local ORV park and start at low speeds and just see how the vehicle behaves. Low speed = low risk, low damage. Happy trails!
Sponsored