What kind of kayak racks should I purchase?

marvel_bro

Big Bend
First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2021
Looking for some advice as to what kayak racks I should purchase. My big bend came with roof racks, they are a bit small.

Thanks! V
Sponsored

Stitch50

Base
First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport / Ram 1500
I was wondering the same thing! My trucks a/c blew out, so in 90 degree weather would love to mount the yak on the bronco. Never had roof racks before though, so I don’t know where to start.

Looking for some advice as to what kayak racks I should purchase. My big bend came with roof racks, they are a bit small.

Thanks! V

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I was wondering the same thing! My trucks a/c blew out, so in 90 degree weather would love to mount the yak on the bronco. Never had roof racks before though, so I don’t know where to start.
My other vehicles came with roof racks. My Bronco didn't. I ordered from the dealer so I could use my points. They said a week. It's been over a month.... And I hate to order elsewhere because I don't know what all I should get. Sigh...

kman779

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My other vehicles came with roof racks. My Bronco didn't. I ordered from the dealer so I could use my points. They said a week. It's been over a month.... And I hate to order elsewhere because I don't know what all I should get. Sigh...
If you are just waiting for a call and haven't reached out to your dealer yet, you should. I had ordered through the dealer and waited about a month before finally going in to ask about my accessories. The items I ordered arrived two weeks earlier and they decided not to notify me.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Rack(S)? I was just shopping for this today. The roof holds only 150lbs or 100lbs with a sunroof, which isn't a lot of wiggle room. Did you get the stock crossbars? I weighed those on my scale at 12lbs. I found a lot of kayak carriers from 20lbs to 30lbs. A kayak is about 50lbs. If you want to put a pair you quickly get to 150lbs. For a pair, I'd focus on a system that weighs 20lbs or less to get the weight down as much as possible.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
If you are just waiting for a call and haven't reached out to your dealer yet, you should. I had ordered through the dealer and waited about a month before finally going in to ask about my accessories. The items I ordered arrived two weeks earlier and they decided not to notify me.
Thanks. Yup. Already had one call in. Getting ready to make my second call.

Last edited:

Kraken

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
One of the main reasons I bought a Bronco Sport was to start kayaking, so I'm not an expert by any means. I have Malone folding racks on mine and some cheap crossbars I got at Cabela's when I got the kayak and everything. They're $99 most places, easy to install and fold away. And it also came with different size bolts to fit various size crossbars. I've driven a bunch on the freeway and haven't had my kayak fall off yet, so they seem to work so far.

Ford Bronco Sport What kind of kayak racks should I purchase? IMG_20210529_121337280_HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What kind of kayak racks should I purchase? IMG_20210326_203614097_HDR

FairFrank

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
One of the main reasons I bought a Bronco Sport was to start kayaking, so I'm not an expert by any means. I have Malone folding racks on mine and some cheap crossbars I got at Cabela's when I got the kayak and everything. They're $99 most places, easy to install and fold away. And it also came with different size bolts to fit various size crossbars. I've driven a bunch on the freeway and haven't had my kayak fall off yet, so they seem to work so far.

Ford Bronco Sport What kind of kayak racks should I purchase? IMG_20210529_121337280_HDR

Ford Bronco Sport What kind of kayak racks should I purchase? IMG_20210326_203614097_HDR
Thank you for sharing. Is it enough space for 2 kayaks here? Are they made of aluminum? I'd prefer DIY options instead of some popular rack like these

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
It depends on how many boats you're going to be hauling. If you're only loading up a single boat I recommend saddles like these:

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/products/sport-leisure/water-sports/kayak-carriers/nautic-570-kayak-carrier-side-loading_570

These are bullet proof and come with some of the best straps on the market. My kayak rarely comes even a little loose even on long, 4+ hour, trips. If you load a single kayak vertical you can run into issues in high wind areas.

J cradles and other similar solutions are good for multiple kayaks. You'll have more points of contact up on the crossbars to keep things stable. I don't have a recommendation for these as I've never found ones I particularly like.

I recommend crossbars with T-slots.:

https://yakima.com/products/jetstream

These are my favorite due to them not requiring cutting when using the T slots.
Sponsored