Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport
Wow! On Sunday, I drove by my local Ford dealer to lay eyes on big brother, and there was a police undercover unit on the lot. They informed me that no one was allowed on the lot during closed hours, the reason was that a vehicle has been stolen from the lot. I didn't ask what vehicle, I assumed had to be a Bronco, no other vehicle is generating so much enthusiasm at the moment.
Sponsored

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
People usually steal cars out of necessity or to sell for parts. Car thieves will pick a car they know will generate the most amount of money in parting out. If I had to guess I'd wager on it being a f150

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yep not many vehicles being produced and these are hot. Could have been anything and I'm sure info will come out. Best advice if you have to leave your sport outside, keep the key fobs as far away as possible. They use proximity software to pick up the RFID signal. Once they scan it...they have full access to the car.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Wow! On Sunday, I drove by my local Ford dealer to lay eyes on big brother, and there was a police undercover unit on the lot. They informed me that no one was allowed on the lot during closed hours, the reason was that a vehicle has been stolen from the lot. I didn't ask what vehicle, I assumed had to be a Bronco, no other vehicle is generating so much enthusiasm at the moment.
Got to be real stupid to steal a new Ford . Everyone new Ford can be tracked remotely very accurately ( from my use of the Ford pass app I think it is accurate to within 5-10 yards) I left my vehicle this morning in my dealers parking lot. GPS tracking now shows it was moved into the building.

I would expect Ford and/or the dealer to be able to track any vehicle in their inventory.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Dealer here had a big Bronco 4 door and a 2 door in their inventory and they're sold already apparently. They were parked in front of the dealership when I drove by Saturday though.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Got to be real stupid to steal a new Ford . Everyone new Ford can be tracked remotely very accurately ( from my use of the Ford pass app I think it is accurate to within 5-10 yards) I left my vehicle this morning in my dealers parking lot. GPS tracking now shows it was moved into the building.

I would expect Ford and/or the dealer to be able to track any vehicle in their inventory.
You underestimate their ability to wipe features. Criminals are smart and well prepared. As said earlier, they mostly part it out as soon as they can. Pieces are more valuable than the car. It's likely offline and stripped before it's even reported stolen

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Popular mechanics
First tip in the article explains how it works. The cop who lives next door suggested keeping keys in a metal box, using RFID cloth, or keeping keys as far from the driveway as possible if you have FOBs.
Mike
What do you think about leaving a key fob inside an RFID blocking pouch inside the vehicle in a locking center console safe ?
I am previously left my keys in the vehicle and used the pin pad on the door to unlock the vehicle. I really like the lock on the door .

the area I live in is low crime
We do have some auto “burglary”. I use the quotes because 100% of vehicle theft or theft of property from vehicles the vehicle was left unlocked and or with the keys in the ignition

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Mike
What do you think about leaving a key fob inside an RFID blocking pouch inside the vehicle in a locking center console safe ?
I am previously left my keys in the vehicle and used the pin pad on the door to unlock the vehicle. I really like the lock on the door .

the area I live in is low crime
We do have some auto “burglary”. I use the quotes because 100% of vehicle theft or theft of property from vehicles the vehicle was left unlocked and or with the keys in the ignition
I'd say if you leave keys inside and rely on the keypad, an RFID sleeve or pouch would be a good idea. I'd for sure test it at home where you have a second FOB but I don't see why that wouldn't help. The fabric is pretty cheap. If you have a metal safe in the console (I know Ford offered the option) that might be enough.
And yep I am with you. We live in suburbia with relatively low crime/theft....but it's happening. Not daily not all over but it's that one time. As I said before, my 79 bronco was stolen so...been there delt with that.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
If you can hide a key inside well enough to block the RFID, then won't it also prevent the car from starting since it's looking for an RFID key to be present?

In my experience car theft is the least likely reason people bust into a car. If you leave a jacket on the seat, or 6 cents on the dash, they'll go after that. I don't know what I left showing in my Mustang, but they got in, popped the trunk with the convenient trunk release Ford put on the running board and stole the stuff hidden in there. They tossed the rest of the car and among the other stuff they took was a pen. Police managed to recover the pen, as it was left in another car blocks away...

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
If you can hide a key inside well enough to block the RFID, then won't it also prevent the car from starting since it's looking for an RFID key to be present?

In my experience car theft is the least likely reason people bust into a car. If you leave a jacket on the seat, or 6 cents on the dash, they'll go after that. I don't know what I left showing in my Mustang, but they got in, popped the trunk with the convenient trunk release Ford put on the running board and stole the stuff hidden in there. They tossed the rest of the car and among the other stuff they took was a pen. Police managed to recover the pen, as it was left in another car blocks away...
Yes for sure that's the point of blocking the FOB. But say, and I don't know any specific reason, you went for a hike or jog and having the key on you was unwanted. Hide it in a sleeve and take it out when it's time to leave?
Agreed as well. We have a spot called heroin heights and methopolis. A stretch of government housing where over time addicts found their way and use proximity parking lots as meal time for drug money. Smash and grab is the name of their game. Exactly as you describe.
Other areas are steal parts and cars. The "movie" gag coming out to find your car on bricks and rims missing....yep I've seen it.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
"Interestingly, despite GM's OnStar system having the capability to disable stolen vehicles, it wasn't used in this case. Procedures state that the feature can only be activated once a police report has been submitted to OnStar, making the system somewhat less useful in heat-of-the-moment situations like these. "
Ummm...doesn't that make diabling feature pretty much useless?? So instead of slowing and running the vehicle to a controlled stop, you allow a high speed chase to end in carnage side swiping dozens of cars because the police couldn't file a report with ONSTAR doing 110 in pursuit...OK, great tool.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Doesn’t the bronco sport mark your last location? I get notifications in maps after I lock the car that it has marked the last location.
Sponsored