Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Hey Guys:

I've had something happen twice now and wanted to check into concerns with other equipment finding their way into others possession.

I have a 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands with the Class II Trailer Tow Package.

I don't have any immediate towing needs (in a few years hope to get a Seadoo), so I purchased a Ford Bronco Sport Hitch Cover like this one:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-trailer-hitch-cover-rubber-with-horse-logo-bronco/p/HCVR27/?year=2023&gclid=CjwKCAjw8-OhBhB5EiwADyoY1cGbTtiaiFLyTBq3boz4i2L8OQhzaAbUm190CZRz73FU5oMkYHkpOBoCZy0QAvD_BwE

This was right after I recieved the vehicle in January/February. Within a month, I noticed it was gone...

I didn't even put it on, it was put on by the dealership, so while I realized that someone likely took it, I decided that maybe it was possible that due to cold weather/elements it had fallen off (note, since then I've learned how it is put on and that isn't very likely).

Anyway, I ordered another and within a week of installation again it has "gone missing."

The reason I'm writing (I think we all get that today's society is pretty screwed), is that I'm looking to have 4 Rigid 360 4" lights installed like these:
https://www.amazon.com/RIGID-DRIVE-LIGHTS-BACKLIGHT-36119/dp/B07ZHMXH4X/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=rigid+360+4+inch+lights&qid=1681509882&sprefix=Rigid+4"+Lig,aps,179&sr=8-9&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

I park outside in an area of very low crime (short of theft apparently) and was wondering if anyone had any feedback for how likely it would be for the Rigid ligts to find their ways to new owners.

Much thanks for any feedback/advice.

RR
Sponsored

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
If someone wants them, they will take them. But lights are a little harder to take than a hitch cover.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I bought a hitch cover with a locking pin. It's not like, a keyed lock or anything, but is a bit more of a deterrent since it requires an allen-wrench type tool. Been a few months parking in public lots for work and shopping and it's still there.

Ford Bronco Sport Theft from Vehicle 20230227_165504

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Maybe just get a plain hitch cover without the Bronco on it. I'm still using the one from my 2007 Escape, not worth stealing I guess.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I park outside in an area of very low crime (short of theft apparently) and was wondering if anyone had any feedback for how likely it would be for the Rigid ligts to find their ways to new owners.

Much thanks for any feedback/advice.

RR
I think just about anything you attach to your vehicle using hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) will be an adequate theft deterrent in low-crime areas. If you're truly worried about losing the lights you can get tamper-resistant attachment hardware such as these. Anything you do to make a thief's job more difficult will be a deterrent. Once they realize how hard it is to take the lights off they'll just move on to an easier target.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Pretty sad that someone stoops to steal a hitch cover or anything for the that matter. I guess planning to put on their stolen vehicle.

OP
OP
RogueRodney

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Team:

Thanks so much for all the posts/responses.

I completely agree at how pathetic it is to STEAL a $20 item. I know it could just be kids, but I can't see why they would want it.

I live in the North Texas area around Frisco, McKinney, Allen. It is a pretty affluent area (I'm not all that, I drive a Bronco Sport), but there are a ton of Fully Size (Fully Maxed) Bronco's, Wranglers, Range Rovers, and Porsche SUV's (saw one modded for off roading at a Dunkin Donuts).

It pisses me off that someone would stoop to stealing a $20 item. More so when I know that it likely went to a full sized Bronco that I can't afford.

(Similar story, I had a woman in a brand new Porsche SUV key my 2010 Honda Pilot because she had parked bad and had trouble getting into her car. It was all caught on a Security Camera and of course the cops did nothing about it. I had even insured that she had plenty of room to get in. Cops said they could see she was doing it, but couldn't swear in court that she was the one that had done it. Didn't even talk to her.)

Anyway, appreciate the community and suggestions.

Was going to be irate if the Lights I went on credit to buy found their ways to new homes.

Mark S. That is EXACTLY what I'm going to get, appreciate the suggestion.

Much thanks and Happy Trails.

RR

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
I think just about anything you attach to your vehicle using hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) will be an adequate theft deterrent in low-crime areas. If you're truly worried about losing the lights you can get tamper-resistant attachment hardware such as these. Anything you do to make a thief's job more difficult will be a deterrent. Once they realize how hard it is to take the lights off they'll just move on to an easier target.
A set of security bits is 11 bucks at Amazon. So while it may deter the average looky-loo, any one with intent will show up with the security set and a power tool. Or if they did have the security bits they will come back with them. 11 bucks to steal a 400 dollar set of lights. No brainer. Some people are just scummers.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
A set of security bits is 11 bucks at Amazon. So while it may deter the average looky-loo, any one with intent will show up with the security set and a power tool. Or if they did have the security bits they will come back with them. 11 bucks to steal a 400 dollar set of lights. No brainer. Some people are just scummers.
Yup. If someone wants to steal something there's really no way to stop them. I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of avionics in the plane I built, but no lock on the canopy. Why? Because I'd rather someone just take the avionics than cut a hole in the acrylic canopy before taking them.

The idea with the tamper resistant hardware is just to make it as difficult as possible to remove it. In low crime areas most thefts are opportunity crimes, not planned affairs.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Sorry about your hitch cover! Someone stole my plain, black, no frills plastic hitch cover that was like $6, so I'm not sure even the design matters.

I'm replacing it with a $5 plain, black, no frills plastic hitch cover that has holes drilled so I can use my locking hitch pin on it.

Completely frustrating that some people just take what they want while the rest of us have to pay double.

I agree with Mark - hardware is probably a good deterrent and if you can get "odd" hardware, even better.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
We need to have Ford include the trunk monkey option:

Sponsored

Last edited: