TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
I remember when Lexus was fitted that coupe with a 'Mark Levinson' system (was that back in 99?) and I wanted that (idea) badly, almost badly enough to buy the Lexus. I didn't quite understand how this worked yet.
Do you remember when Subaru was running with Mcintosh systems?
My first thought was McIntosh and Subaru? Well, it was a Clarion with a nice face.
Truthfully, I have two minds on this. I always want a better system in my car, one that's satisfying in both quality and power. I occasionally get that moment where I want to crank it up and I don't want any crispy, distorted unpleasantries ruining a musical moment.
I think the only way to get the very best system that you can really enjoy is to just outsource a post market stereo. Pick your speakers, a reasonable sub and a good amp. In my last car, a Jeep, I opted for the Beats Sound system and while it wasn't horrible, it was completely limited and you really didn't get a lot of kick or volume out of it- not that I really expected it to be any better than the lousy Beats headphones.
I meant to get around to a stereo of my own design (that wasn't the Jeep UConnect) but the car got totaled in a flood and here I am with my Ford stereo. I'm definitely looking to (at least) do some of the good work the primary authors of this thread tried and succeeded with.
Most of today's head units are pretty capable...it's all the stuff after it that is lacking. As I got older, I started replacing vehicles every 2 years, so investing in better sound was no longer a priority - or worth the spend.
Sponsored