SiriusXM Traffic subscription

rtanner310

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is this something I need to specific activate with Sirius? Or does the vehicle come preloaded with it? I haven’t noticed any traffic in my navigation. Purchased a fully loaded OB.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Is this something I need to specific activate with Sirius? Or does the vehicle come preloaded with it? I haven’t noticed any traffic in my navigation. Purchased a fully loaded OB.
You get a five-year SiriusXM Travel Link subscription with the Co-Pilot360 Assist+ package.

mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I do believe you have to activate it still. I had to add the BS to my account via its radio ID and it started working.

Ford Bronco Sport SiriusXM Traffic subscription 1633748916345

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Fusion Hybrid, '20 Escape Hybrid
Make sure you're running the latest software release as well.

mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Make sure you're running the latest software release as well.
Yes, this too. Mine did not work until the latest update. All the info subscriptions said "Unavailable" and the update fixed it all.

It can also take a few to several minutes of the BS fully running (as in not just remote started) with a clear view of the sky (not under anything as it's fully satellite-based to my knowledge) for it to download all the info and display traffic. I generally have a short work commute and sometimes traffic info doesn't pop up until I'm almost home or to work, lol.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
it's fully satellite-based to my knowledge
SirusXM (and both of the originally-separate companies) use (+used) terrestrial repeaters to mitigate some of the "urban canyon" reception problem one sees with a truly satellite-only system.

If you have a decent, quasi-unobstructed view of the required specific section of sky, you could theoretically use a satellite-only antenna for reception (versus hybrid satellite + terrestrial antenna). The reality in most more urbanized environments is that a clear view of the required specific section of sky is spotty-at-best.

Unclear if they use the terrestrial system for out-of-band-data like traffic information, but TBH it'd be the most logical choice from a systems-design / bandwidth-preservation perspective for sending the more detailed, hyper-localized payloads that "local traffic information" includes. Why burn more precious satellite transmit bandwidth (and signal geo coverage) for something only relevant to vehicles in a specific major-metro geo?

Additionally, the out-of-band-data (e.g. everything except audio) is also likely sent out cyclically, rather than continuously, so the full "local traffic information" burst for your specific location might arrive (as a hypothetical example) every 60 to 120 seconds interspersed with other data-type bursts (time-slot based serial interleaving), or even possibly be staggered across multiple partial-bursts (different more-parallelized interleaving technique) so that each data-type could be provided more frequent, but incremental updates.

BroncoSportVA

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport