Scratched black piano trim

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
A little thread necromancy here.
For those that care, this is why a good polish is the best for piano black plastics.
The car has over 12k km on it, a lot of gravel, and this is the trim.

Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim 6B231A18-230D-4AA6-8951-3358E11623AA

Last edited:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Scratched the black piano trim when I rubbed a small oak branch rather than high center. The paint got rubbed, too. But, isn't scratched. I've seen some threads about this trim coming from the factory scratched, but has anyone dealt with removing scratches? I'm still in northern New Mexico, will deal with it when I get home.
I'm working on that. Gotta find something to try it on in case of swirling patterns.
Also looking into clear plastic vinal adhesive to cover.
Lots of small branches here too.
I know there are wraps for the pillars costing $250+
I could probably find the link if you want
Try Novus 1&2, stay away from 3 very abrasive and could cause some serious damage. Available on Amazon.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim PXL_20210918_151225631

younglefthander

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport / Maverick
Here's one for ya. Just picked this up 2 weeks ago. I noticed this when I got home. Vehicle was built in August. Pretty amazing the kind of scratch that can happen in transport or at the dealer. No one notices it but I know it and would love to correct it. I can do a full detail but have never done a pillar like this. Last thing I want to do is make it worst. This is the driver door pillar.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim Pillar
Any tips?

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
It is always best to over remove things. I would use an angle grinder and cut a good few inches around the edge of the trim to preserve it in its most pristine condition. This also allows for context as to where exactly on the Ute the trim once sat. That’ll do ya.
Or try a 400 foot mountain.

Group_44

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum,80 Triumph TR8, 69 Jag XKE 2+2
Try Novus 1&2, stay away from 3 very abrasive and could cause some serious damage. Available on Amazon.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim PXL_20210918_151225631
I've used the Novus products to remove scratches from a helmet face shield and oxidation on a soft top rear window with good success . Might be worth a try.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Here's one for ya. Just picked this up 2 weeks ago. I noticed this when I got home. Vehicle was built in August. Pretty amazing the kind of scratch that can happen in transport or at the dealer. No one notices it but I know it and would love to correct it. I can do a full detail but have never done a pillar like this. Last thing I want to do is make it worst. This is the driver door pillar.
Ford Bronco Sport Scratched black piano trim Pillar
Any tips?
I'm finding that a clay "cloth" is tedious but might be effective. Haven't tried a clay bar. I'm still working on it but it doesn't seem to make its own scratches as long as you don't lean into it. I've realized that I'm gonna have to just accept that there are going to be scratches.

Spartan007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
As long as it's not too deep you can buff it out, mine came with a few marks when I took delivery. Buffed it all out, then weeks later I start seeing marks again even though I hand wash with clean microfiber towels. I've given up on it for this year, when I give it the spring detail after the winter I'll buff it out again and probably wrap it.
what did you use to buff it out?
Sponsored