AlohaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
After reading and watching a ton of reviews, I wanted to put my thoughts in now that I've driven on/off-road for a decent number of miles.

OFFROADING

Mindblowing how good even the BB is. I used to own a raised Wrangler with giant tires and did some off-roading with that, along with off-road trips with friends, so I have some general experience. Every single thing I throw at the BB is handled with aplomb, and goat modes make it even more capable. After taking it out to Ocotillo Wells and Otay a bunch of times trying to get gnarly with it, my opinion now is that the only thing holding the sport back is clearance. I'll put it this way, if you're shopping for a sport, full size, or competition: if you have to ask the question "do I need the full size bronco?", then you don't. The sport is so capable that you'll only need the full size if you are a serious offroader. I do wish there were more clearance, but even stock I never felt stuck. I'll likely throw a lift kit and bigger tires on it at some point for fun.

HANDLING

Feels good. Not stupendous, but yeah I didn't buy a lambo did I? I can still whip pretty hard into turns and it doesn't give me that "Uhh am I gonna flip?" moment. Pretty responsive, and a delicious turning radius. Also thank you car-jesus for the invention of backup cameras.

MPG/GAS

I use premium and find two differences. 1) I get 1-2 more mpg, and 2) the transmission response is better/tighter/quicker/etc. I didn't have the funds to buy the massively over sticker BL at the time, so I was bummed with the smaller BB engine. It felt serviceable and nothing more. Using premium changed that; there's just enough kick to be satisfied, and of course more so if I use sport mode. Regarding MPG, it varies wildly depending on what I do. Freeway with eco mode? 34MPG. City driving in normal? 21-23, depending. In the end the marketing seems correct though, with an average of about 25-27MPG. SoCal's traffic of course murders my MPG so perhaps other users have better numbers. But from what I've seen this is a car with a massively driving-dependent MPG — which I suppose is cool, since the MPG is mostly in your hands. In the end I think I'm breaking even using premium, and even if it's a little bit of an added cost, if you have the smaller engine it's totally worth it for the oomph.

SOUND

I'm a musician. This was important. The BB is solid. Not mindblowing, but to be honest I've tested a ton of cars' sound systems in my audiophile quest for perfection, and cars just ain't it. Acoustically cars are just bad for perfect listening; bad positioning of listener to speakers, too many refractive surfaces, etc etc. The sport does sound great for a car, and adjustments to the sound can make all the difference. I listened to the upgraded sound system while testing an OB model and was unimpressed; I don't think it's worth upgrading for. If you're desperate for bass, just buy a subwoofer.

INTERIOR

At first I was salty about not being able to swing the upgraded interior, but now I'm glad. The combination of futuristic, minimalistic, and practical design fits the idea of the Bronco Sport very well. It's just enough lavishness while still staying true to being rugged.

People complain about the seats, but I just don't see it. If you're a massive and/or tall person, perhaps, but that would be an issue with most cars. The seats don't feel like a dream, but I've never felt like my body was suffering from them. If your thighs hurt, make the seat lower; that will also help with the slightly awkward sun visor that doesn't go as far forward as some may need.

Ergonomically designed everything, feels intuitive where to put my phone, keys, wallet, drinks, etc. Never felt awkward.

Another joy of the BB model is NOT having the bigger/fancier screen in the dash. I love technology but man, I want my car to be a car. The size of the SYNC3 screen in the BB is just big enough to be easy to use while not becoming this massive distraction. Have you driven a Tesla? What is this massive laptop doing in my car? So distracting, no thanks.

OTHERS

Did you know you can push that stop/hold button next to the e-brake and just leave it on so you hold every time at a stoplight? Dumb me didn't really understand it's function, so I thought you had to press it every time. For years I would e-brake at stoplights, so I thought this was cool. But little did I know you can just leave it on and it stops you every time automatically. To be honest this is my lowkey favorite feature.

The back is just long enough so you can put down the seats and sleep as a 5'9" person; if you're taller you gotta angle yourself or push up the front seats. Pretty comfy though.

I surf so the glass opening is fun, and also the keypad is a lifesaver for the "where in the hell do I stash my keys" surfing moment. Haven't even touched my keys for months, I just use the keypad.

BADS

Don't stand on the car. I was used to older cars/Wrangler so I was hoping you could be more rough with it. I climbed to the top of the car to clean it and immediately dented the roof. I popped it back, but yeah, not that kind of car.

Sometimes my collision detection goes off for no reason. Only happened a few times, but weirds me out when it does.

I've since adjusted my driving for when and how to stop somewhere, given the engine auto stop feature. It feels kinda random when it turns on and off, and I truly wonder if this technology does anything valuable. It doesn't bother me now, but it's something you have to get used to.

SYNC3 is sometimes laggy. Not enough to be an actual complaint, mind you, and I wouldn't worry about it, but in today's age of super fast computers and phones it's kinda like come on man.

Sometimes my aux lights in the front (the horizontal beams) stay on. idk why. I'll come back to the car and they'll be on, even though I went into the settings and set them to turn off. It's only happened for short trips though, so I guess the timer is still at work with them.

People talk about the dangers of buying a first year model so I'm listing it under bad, but the warranty seems pretty comprehensive. Nobody wants to get screwed, but as a not-rich person I don't feel worried about it.

SUMMARY

This car is, holistically speaking, close to perfect. Offroads like a mother fucker, looks like a sleek Land Rover, ergonomic interior with just enough features, and given what it's providing you with offroad capability, a respectable MPG. Regarding trims, BB and BL seem to be the only worthwhile ones, personally. Base has some key features missing (no LED fog lamps, no push start, no remote start, no rubberized cargo flooring, no lights on the sun visor mirror, no easy clean fabric), and OB to me seems like a lot of fancy trim that's not really that fancy when you consider the competition. Do what you gotta do and buy what you like, but that's how I feel about it.

Basically: the Bronco Sport is categorically better than it has any right to be.
Sponsored

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Great review! My dealer had a Base in the showroom when I was there, and I almost wonder why they bother given how much more you get for what seems to me to be little cost increase to go to BB. I suppose there’s aways a market for the absolute lowest cost option, but even the Base is hardly a stripper compared to past vehicles. Skipping tinted glass just kinda makes it look cheap, but other than that I mean it offers alloy wheels, AC, a lot of things which were once options. Though the couple looking at it while I was there commented to their salesman that it was just a little bit too base & stripped out.

But just watching the lot by me, it seems BB & BL are where it’s at, neither one is ever on the lot. Ordered & sold before they have a chance to sit around. I wish the BB had the larger digital screen in the instrument cluster like the OB & BL, that is a nice feature. But really the BB offers all you’d need. I liked the OB, and wonder if it might find more of a market if it offered the 2.0L as an option. It seems to fill the price gap well between BB & BL, but you might well be right on what’s most important to buyers. Either you’re price/value conscious enough & choose the BB. Or you want it all & choose the BL. I wonder what the actual sales mix is.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Good review I agree with a lot of you what you said.
Ford has some tweaks to the next model year that they make a few changes to, but for now this is a great overall vehicle.
The main gripe would be the cheap plastics in the interior, I have 3 kids and they have completely destroyed the right rear door panel.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Thanks for the write up!

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Great review! I definitely have some different opinions on a few things having all of the options with the FE. The first thing is having the better interior I really appreciate. The leather with soft cloth combination is extremely nice and seems more comfortable than the base model I sat in. The leather steering wheel is another must as the cheap plastic one is horrible. The sound system from B&O is substantially better than the standard one. I enjoy the larger screen but that's very much a personal preference. And having auto-start is extremely nice if you're coming from a hot or cold day. I'm not sure if the BB has the rubber floors but after being out at the beach/camping being able to just vacuum and wipe everything down is super nice. Plus the webbing and zippered pockets on the back of the seats are very useful for gear being at quick access. I store my walkie-talkies, GPS, leatherman, and flashlight on the straps and not having to dig around for them makes it convenient.
The biggest difference I've seen is in off-roading. While the BB can go off-roading the lower clearance, lack of goat mode options, no skid plate, and smaller engine definitely work against the lower trim levels. I have been all around So-Cal as well, Otay, Lake Elsinore, Black Mountain, Laguna, and I have yet to have anything it couldn't take. (I've had it for a year in December and have 15,000 miles in mine just as a point of reference)

Just want to give an idea of the benefits of the upper trims comparatively. The BS regardless of trim level is IMO the most all around capable vehicle you can get off the lot for the price.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice! I took my BB back at 7500 miles and traded it in an OB, BB had many issues, OB has been flawless now at 3700 miles.

Spartan007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
After reading and watching a ton of reviews, I wanted to put my thoughts in now that I've driven on/off-road for a decent number of miles.

OFFROADING

Mindblowing how good even the BB is. I used to own a raised Wrangler with giant tires and did some off-roading with that, along with off-road trips with friends, so I have some general experience. Every single thing I throw at the BB is handled with aplomb, and goat modes make it even more capable. After taking it out to Ocotillo Wells and Otay a bunch of times trying to get gnarly with it, my opinion now is that the only thing holding the sport back is clearance. I'll put it this way, if you're shopping for a sport, full size, or competition: if you have to ask the question "do I need the full size bronco?", then you don't. The sport is so capable that you'll only need the full size if you are a serious offroader. I do wish there were more clearance, but even stock I never felt stuck. I'll likely throw a lift kit and bigger tires on it at some point for fun.

HANDLING

Feels good. Not stupendous, but yeah I didn't buy a lambo did I? I can still whip pretty hard into turns and it doesn't give me that "Uhh am I gonna flip?" moment. Pretty responsive, and a delicious turning radius. Also thank you car-jesus for the invention of backup cameras.

MPG/GAS

I use premium and find two differences. 1) I get 1-2 more mpg, and 2) the transmission response is better/tighter/quicker/etc. I didn't have the funds to buy the massively over sticker BL at the time, so I was bummed with the smaller BB engine. It felt serviceable and nothing more. Using premium changed that; there's just enough kick to be satisfied, and of course more so if I use sport mode. Regarding MPG, it varies wildly depending on what I do. Freeway with eco mode? 34MPG. City driving in normal? 21-23, depending. In the end the marketing seems correct though, with an average of about 25-27MPG. SoCal's traffic of course murders my MPG so perhaps other users have better numbers. But from what I've seen this is a car with a massively driving-dependent MPG — which I suppose is cool, since the MPG is mostly in your hands. In the end I think I'm breaking even using premium, and even if it's a little bit of an added cost, if you have the smaller engine it's totally worth it for the oomph.

SOUND

I'm a musician. This was important. The BB is solid. Not mindblowing, but to be honest I've tested a ton of cars' sound systems in my audiophile quest for perfection, and cars just ain't it. Acoustically cars are just bad for perfect listening; bad positioning of listener to speakers, too many refractive surfaces, etc etc. The sport does sound great for a car, and adjustments to the sound can make all the difference. I listened to the upgraded sound system while testing an OB model and was unimpressed; I don't think it's worth upgrading for. If you're desperate for bass, just buy a subwoofer.

INTERIOR

At first I was salty about not being able to swing the upgraded interior, but now I'm glad. The combination of futuristic, minimalistic, and practical design fits the idea of the Bronco Sport very well. It's just enough lavishness while still staying true to being rugged.

People complain about the seats, but I just don't see it. If you're a massive and/or tall person, perhaps, but that would be an issue with most cars. The seats don't feel like a dream, but I've never felt like my body was suffering from them. If your thighs hurt, make the seat lower; that will also help with the slightly awkward sun visor that doesn't go as far forward as some may need.

Ergonomically designed everything, feels intuitive where to put my phone, keys, wallet, drinks, etc. Never felt awkward.

Another joy of the BB model is NOT having the bigger/fancier screen in the dash. I love technology but man, I want my car to be a car. The size of the SYNC3 screen in the BB is just big enough to be easy to use while not becoming this massive distraction. Have you driven a Tesla? What is this massive laptop doing in my car? So distracting, no thanks.

OTHERS

Did you know you can push that stop/hold button next to the e-brake and just leave it on so you hold every time at a stoplight? Dumb me didn't really understand it's function, so I thought you had to press it every time. For years I would e-brake at stoplights, so I thought this was cool. But little did I know you can just leave it on and it stops you every time automatically. To be honest this is my lowkey favorite feature.

The back is just long enough so you can put down the seats and sleep as a 5'9" person; if you're taller you gotta angle yourself or push up the front seats. Pretty comfy though.

I surf so the glass opening is fun, and also the keypad is a lifesaver for the "where in the hell do I stash my keys" surfing moment. Haven't even touched my keys for months, I just use the keypad.

BADS

Don't stand on the car. I was used to older cars/Wrangler so I was hoping you could be more rough with it. I climbed to the top of the car to clean it and immediately dented the roof. I popped it back, but yeah, not that kind of car.

Sometimes my collision detection goes off for no reason. Only happened a few times, but weirds me out when it does.

I've since adjusted my driving for when and how to stop somewhere, given the engine auto stop feature. It feels kinda random when it turns on and off, and I truly wonder if this technology does anything valuable. It doesn't bother me now, but it's something you have to get used to.

SYNC3 is sometimes laggy. Not enough to be an actual complaint, mind you, and I wouldn't worry about it, but in today's age of super fast computers and phones it's kinda like come on man.

Sometimes my aux lights in the front (the horizontal beams) stay on. idk why. I'll come back to the car and they'll be on, even though I went into the settings and set them to turn off. It's only happened for short trips though, so I guess the timer is still at work with them.

People talk about the dangers of buying a first year model so I'm listing it under bad, but the warranty seems pretty comprehensive. Nobody wants to get screwed, but as a not-rich person I don't feel worried about it.

SUMMARY

This car is, holistically speaking, close to perfect. Offroads like a mother fucker, looks like a sleek Land Rover, ergonomic interior with just enough features, and given what it's providing you with offroad capability, a respectable MPG. Regarding trims, BB and BL seem to be the only worthwhile ones, personally. Base has some key features missing (no LED fog lamps, no push start, no remote start, no rubberized cargo flooring, no lights on the sun visor mirror, no easy clean fabric), and OB to me seems like a lot of fancy trim that's not really that fancy when you consider the competition. Do what you gotta do and buy what you like, but that's how I feel about it.

Basically: the Bronco Sport is categorically better than it has any right to be.
Thanks for the great review! I am the proud owner of a BB as well and have been wondering how well it would perform offroad. I am a novice and have never really done any trailing or offroading (which is why I bought a BS, I would like to start adventuring with the family). What type of terrain have you taken it on (gravel, sand, hilly, rocky, any water fording?). I put on 235 A/T tires but no lift or any other mods. Thanks for any info!

OP
OP

AlohaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the great review! I am the proud owner of a BB as well and have been wondering how well it would perform offroad. I am a novice and have never really done any trailing or offroading (which is why I bought a BS, I would like to start adventuring with the family). What type of terrain have you taken it on (gravel, sand, hilly, rocky, any water fording?). I put on 235 A/T tires but no lift or any other mods. Thanks for any info!
I've taken it on everything except river fording. I never had any problems and I'm driving stock everything, including tires. The rule is better safe than sorry with offroading, but that only means don't be reckless. Explore gingerly at first, try things out, and you'll gain confidence.

Reactions: MJE

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Great review! I definitely have some different opinions on a few things having all of the options with the FE. The first thing is having the better interior I really appreciate. The leather with soft cloth combination is extremely nice and seems more comfortable than the base model I sat in. The leather steering wheel is another must as the cheap plastic one is horrible. The sound system from B&O is substantially better than the standard one. I enjoy the larger screen but that's very much a personal preference. And having auto-start is extremely nice if you're coming from a hot or cold day. I'm not sure if the BB has the rubber floors but after being out at the beach/camping being able to just vacuum and wipe everything down is super nice. Plus the webbing and zippered pockets on the back of the seats are very useful for gear being at quick access. I store my walkie-talkies, GPS, leatherman, and flashlight on the straps and not having to dig around for them makes it convenient.

Just want to give an idea of the benefits of the upper trims comparatively. The BS regardless of trim level is IMO the most all around capable vehicle you can get off the lot for the price.

The only things listed that the BB doesn't have is the leather seats, B&O sound system, larger instrument cluster screen and rubber floors. The base doesn't have the other things but BB and up does (leather steering wheel is a free option). I would love those things but FE and BL were out of my price range and BB had everything important.

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
Great common sense review! I too have a BB and so far no regrets! It does what I need and like you said just fancy enough without going overboard.

Aleta51

Badlands
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71 crew cab

OFFROADING

HANDLING

MPG/GAS

SOUND

INTERIOR

OTHERS

BADS

SUMMARY

Thanks so much for the great and informative review.. I currently have a loaded Chevy Silverado it has everything, heated seats, heated steering wheel , Bose sound system
 it’s awesome
 But the gas situation is starting to kill me ?so I originally ordered Outer Banks back in September and then started researching and realized I really would like the bigger engine so changed it to the badlands. It is scheduled to be built on December 6. I’m really excited to get it. I am pretty picky about music and I haven’t had a moon roof for many ,many, years
 so I did the upgraded package which was pretty expensive but I figure if I’m making a payment, might as well make a payment for some thing that I absolutely love.. I live in Maine so winters here can be pretty tough for driving. I feel like everyone here should have all wheel drive or the four wheel option. This will be my first Ford. I grew up with the whole.. “
Fixed Or Repaired Daily” “ Found On Road Dead “ etc
 I’m kind of a little bit nervous to steer away from the GM family. My boyfriend swears by GMC’s he’s on his third Sierra not because something happened to it , but because he likes to upgrade his vehicle every three years he drives less than 10,000 miles a year and it’s always a Diesel and it’s always loaded ? He has given me nothing but a ton of crap about getting a Ford? But I really, really , REALLY hate the way all new small SUVs and crossovers look exactly the same, and they are so rounded which I really hate I love the boxiness of the BS.. I’m very excited I really pray that I get it before the end of the year but realistically hoping to get it the beginning of the year. I had to order a 2022 so hopefully any of the little quirks and problems with the first year vehicle are ironed out , and the 2022 is good to go. ? Thanks again. Your review made me excited again to get it !

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Great review! My dealer had a Base in the showroom when I was there, and I almost wonder why they bother given how much more you get for what seems to me to be little cost increase to go to BB. I suppose there’s aways a market for the absolute lowest cost option, but even the Base is hardly a stripper compared to past vehicles. Skipping tinted glass just kinda makes it look cheap, but other than that I mean it offers alloy wheels, AC, a lot of things which were once options. Though the couple looking at it while I was there commented to their salesman that it was just a little bit too base & stripped out.

But just watching the lot by me, it seems BB & BL are where it’s at, neither one is ever on the lot. Ordered & sold before they have a chance to sit around. I wish the BB had the larger digital screen in the instrument cluster like the OB & BL, that is a nice feature. But really the BB offers all you’d need. I liked the OB, and wonder if it might find more of a market if it offered the 2.0L as an option. It seems to fill the price gap well between BB & BL, but you might well be right on what’s most important to buyers. Either you’re price/value conscious enough & choose the BB. Or you want it all & choose the BL. I wonder what the actual sales mix is.
I feel the same about the image cluster. I wonder if this is something you can upgrade at a Ford dealer?

Reactions: MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I feel the same about the image cluster. I wonder if this is something you can upgrade at a Ford dealer?
Possibly? I mean anything is possible, whether or not it’d be cost effective or they’d do it might be another question. For what they might charge to change it out, by the time you have parts & labor, it might almost eat up the couple K difference to move to the OB.

I’m glad there’s so much standard, but it seems there are a few more items yet like the instrument cluster, where they could just make it ‘standard’ & save the cost of 2 separate parts. I mean that’s really the reason you can’t buy crank windows anymore, the cost of 2 separate options negates the savings for the few who wouldn't’ choose it. You’d think instrument cluster would be similar, you could offer one option and then have that cheap enough to use on all trims.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
Thanks so much for the great and informative review.. I currently have a loaded Chevy Silverado it has everything, heated seats, heated steering wheel , Bose sound system
 it’s awesome
 But the gas situation is starting to kill me ?so I originally ordered Outer Banks back in September and then started researching and realized I really would like the bigger engine so changed it to the badlands. It is scheduled to be built on December 6. I’m really excited to get it. I am pretty picky about music and I haven’t had a moon roof for many ,many, years
 so I did the upgraded package which was pretty expensive but I figure if I’m making a payment, might as well make a payment for some thing that I absolutely love.. I live in Maine so winters here can be pretty tough for driving. I feel like everyone here should have all wheel drive or the four wheel option. This will be my first Ford. I grew up with the whole.. “
Fixed Or Repaired Daily” “ Found On Road Dead “ etc
 I’m kind of a little bit nervous to steer away from the GM family. My boyfriend swears by GMC’s he’s on his third Sierra not because something happened to it , but because he likes to upgrade his vehicle every three years he drives less than 10,000 miles a year and it’s always a Diesel and it’s always loaded ? He has given me nothing but a ton of crap about getting a Ford? But I really, really , REALLY hate the way all new small SUVs and crossovers look exactly the same, and they are so rounded which I really hate I love the boxiness of the BS.. I’m very excited I really pray that I get it before the end of the year but realistically hoping to get it the beginning of the year. I had to order a 2022 so hopefully any of the little quirks and problems with the first year vehicle are ironed out , and the 2022 is good to go. ? Thanks again. Your review made me excited again to get it !
. First On Race Day.
Sponsored