Removable roof possible?

Broncolution

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
So I’ve been searching the forum and I remember someone removing the bronco sport roof, for what purpose I can’t remember.

What I want to figure out is if it removes easily? Would it interrupt anything electronically? Obviously the ones with the powered moonroof will have a couple of extra steps because of the drain and electronics.

The entire reason for this would be able to trade out roofs with others locally to change the look of your sport. So those that want a black or grey roof with their base or BB is able to do so or in the same respect have the ones with the badlands and OB Able to have a color matched roof to their bodies. I can’t be the only one wanting this option.

I know there are companies that wrap and am not wondering nor am I interested in this.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The roof structure provides roll over protection for the occupants. Vehicles that come from the factory with a soft top or removable hard top typically include structural components other than the roof to protect the occupants. Take a look at Jeeps and the full-sized Bronco and you'll see these vehicles are factory-equipped with roll bars.

I believe you would need credible engineering expertise to make a Bronco Sport with a removable top that provides adequate roll over protection for the occupants.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
If I’m understanding right, you’re talking about removing the whole roof on the Sport. While it would certainly be possible for a body shop to repair, I think by the time you got done that much labor to ‘trade’ it would be easier & cheaper, not to mention safer, to just have a body shop paint your roof the color you’d prefer. Uneducated guess to be sure, but the roof has to be such an integral part of the body structure, there’d be no easy removing/swapping it.

Even without the moonroof, there has to be wiring run up there for the mirror & antenna, if not anything for the hatch.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I'm very handy with a k-12 extrication saw....I'll gladly remove your roof at no charge and we can learn from there if it was a great idea. I'd suggest instead....BUY A BRONCO THEY ALREADY DO THAT

OP
OP

Broncolution

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Thanks for reply’s, I understand about the structural integrity being an issue and wasn’t looking to cut anything with a reciprocating saw or a band saw 13mikeh lol. If it is not doable without being a safety issue then that’s the answer.

Adam, it actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea if it was possible without affecting the integrity of the body/frame. I for one would like to be able to have a color matched top OB or BL but as it’s not possible from factory orders I wanted to ask the community if at all possible.

Mark, understood and agree.

MJE, you understood correctly. Just didn’t know if there was an option without modifying structure.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Thanks for reply’s, I understand about the structural integrity being an issue and wasn’t looking to cut anything with a reciprocating saw or a band saw 13mikeh lol. If it is not doable without being a safety issue then that’s the answer.

Adam, it actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea if it was possible without affecting the integrity of the body/frame. I for one would like to be able to have a color matched top OB or BL but as it’s not possible from factory orders I wanted to ask the community if at all possible.

MJE, you understood correctly. Just didn’t know if there was an option without modifying structure.
Ummm... Paint it.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

https://www.boronextrication.com/2021/05/30/2021-ford-bronco-sport-body-structure/

Yeah I think you were hoping it’s an easily swapped sheet metal panel overtop of structural pieces. While this link shows part #7 as the roof panel, it really appears formed along with everything else to make up the whole unibody. Also even if there was an easy way to swap that panel, the ‘roof’ color carries over onto side body panels so you wouldn’t probably gain your desired effect anyways. People have had their BB roofs painted black though on here for example, but whether or not that‘s a reasonable cost to try depends on your budget & rates where you’re at.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's an interesting article, thanks for sharing! Something that caught my eye:

Lastly, the fender wells were made from advanced steel and required us to completely cut the hinge pillar and deep behind the front tire to lift the dash.
This shows just how much the overall structure relies on the attachment between the different parts. After reading this article I'm even more disinclined to cut away welds in the wheel well to accommodate larger tires.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

I honestly don't think it's a bad idea, but it's not feasible in current configurations. My son works for an engineering firm who designs and builds a lot of these components. He is working in quality engineering on some of the projects. He inspects upwards of 150+ weld points on some parts. It is so dynamic it's unreal.
Based on the four door wrangler it's possible...but that's a whole different monster. They'd be better off creating a whole new branch of the bronco line say a bronco scout? Just tossing names for the sake of it. Kind of a sport sized body with removable top...not sure it's financially sound.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
Yeah.... How about we don't hack off the roof of a unibody vehicle because we think it would look cool?

You want a removable roof, you buy a vehicle designed, engineered, crash tested with a removable roof. You don't hack apart a unibody.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yeah.... How about we don't hack off the roof of a unibody vehicle because we think it would look cool?

You want a removable roof, you buy a vehicle designed, engineered, crash tested with a removable roof. You don't hack apart a unibody.
I sincerely think it was an out loud thought process but yeah it goes so many ways to sideways.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
I sincerely think it was an out loud thought process but yeah it goes so many ways to sideways.
Just trying to emphasize how terrible of an idea this would be.

Especially in the current market. It literally makes no sense to even try this unless you're bored and loaded. Just sell the current Bronco Sport and buy one equipped as you wish, then be happy with it.
Sponsored