Reliability and Recalls

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I’ve never put much faith in Consumer Reports, I sold furnaces for 20+ years, and some of their furnace ratings were out to lunch.
As with any first year model, there will be growing pains, but I’m prepared for anything. My dealer has always been excellent for anything that come up on any of my previous Fords. From looking at our Sport, the fit and finish is really good, kinda better than I expected.
Consumer Reports much like the BBB is paid by companies to make their products/services appear better than they are.
Sponsored

AnotherBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
While there may not be big issues with the BS, it just doesn't look finished. The dealers are expecting to get top dollar for a vehicle they know nothing about with no history. As with any first year vehicle, it will only get better. For the price of the BS BL/BL there are many SUV's that can go on a dirt road.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
While there may not be big issues with the BS, it just doesn't look finished. The dealers are expecting to get top dollar for a vehicle they know nothing about with no history. As with any first year vehicle, it will only get better. For the price of the BS BL/BL there are many SUV's that can go on a dirt road.
To be fair, ANY car can go on a "dirt road". Hell a Corvette or Ferrari can drive down a gravel road, if one was so inclined. But there are VERY FEW suvs/cuvs in the Badlands price range that can do what it can do off-road...when you look at the dual clutch AWD system, ground clearance, breakover angles and the suspension upgrades even over the lower models.

I completely agree though that if you are only looking for an urban grocery getter with all the bells and whistles...and don't give two hoots about the look or design but just want reliability and functionality on asphalt and winter driving...I'd take an Escape Titanium or a Mazda CX-5 Signature over the Bronco Sport anyday.

For me the BS Badlands was the perfect combination of looks, power and utility for my lifestyle and there's nothing else out there like it.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
To be fair, ANY car can go on a "dirt road". Hell a Corvette or Ferrari can drive down a gravel road, if one was so inclined. But there are VERY FEW suvs/cuvs in the Badlands price range that can do what it can do off-road...when you look at the dual clutch AWD system, ground clearance, breakover angles and the suspension upgrades even over the lower models.

I completely agree though that if you are only looking for an urban grocery getter with all the bells and whistles...and don't give two hoots about the look or design but just want reliability and functionality on asphalt and winter driving...I'd take an Escape Titanium or a Mazda CX-5 Signature over the Bronco Sport anyday.

For me the BS Badlands was the perfect combination of looks, power and utility for my lifestyle and there's nothing else out there like it.
My experience with my BL so far: If you don’t ever plan to take it somewhere more rugged than a gravel road. Don’t get a BS and definitely don’t get a Badlands. Don’t get me wrong, I love mine, but for the price you can get a far better compact road SUV with AWD. The suspension is soft, the gas mileage is poor, you can surely get a nicer interior for the price.
However, the off road chops are serious. No it’s not a dedicated rock crawler where you will be searching for the toughest route, but it really impressed me going over rocks that would have put a stop to any Subaru or similar soft roader. Having spent years owning a Polaris RZR Turbo, I’ve only once or twice been off roading somewhere harder that what my BL can do. I haven’t taken it on mud yet, but I don’t expect to be disappointed.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Fore me the BS Badlands was the perfect combination of looks, power and utility for my lifestyle and there's nothing else out there like it.
You mean except for the Cherokee Trailhawk which does more for the same price.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience with my BL so far: If you don’t ever plan to take it somewhere more rugged than a gravel road. Don’t get a BS and definitely don’t get a Badlands. Don’t get me wrong, I love mine, but for the price you can get a far better compact road SUV with AWD. The suspension is soft, the gas mileage is poor, you can surely get a nicer interior for the price.
However, the off road chops are serious. No it’s not a dedicated rock crawler where you will be searching for the toughest route, but it really impressed me going over rocks that would have put a stop to any Subaru or similar soft roader. Having spent years owning a Polaris RZR Turbo, I’ve only once or twice been off roading somewhere harder that what my BL can do. I haven’t taken it on mud yet, but I don’t expect to be disappointed.
I'm 100% with you. Like many of us, if I had a bottomless wallet and Jay's Garage...I would have a Mazda CX-5 for around town, an Escalade for family road trips, and a full size Bronco for the bush. Given that I can only afford one new vehicle (and only have space for one in my garage!) I had to pick the best of all worlds...and the Badlands with that peppy 2.0 ticked almost all the boxes. The biggest suffering is in the back seat...so we'll still have to use the wife's CX-9 for family road trips.

It's like the ultimate dual-sport option for my lifestyle. I'd also love a GSX-R, a dirtbike and a massive bagger like an HD Ultra Classic or Gold Wing...but given that I can't afford and store three bikes I have to find a little bit of everything in one. So my Badlands will be the four-wheeled equivalent to a BMW GS1200 or Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. Give up a little everywhere, to get a lot in a single package.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except that Jeep has severely cramped headroom for guys 6'3", a long-in-the-tooth design and it's a Chrysler. They'll never be able to convince me that their quality is anywhere near up to snuff.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
As I get into my second month of waiting for the BL + BL I've been checking out the Cherokee Trailhawk a bit more. There are some great deals in my area and I can walk in a buy one today. We don't have a car at the moment so the wait is getting hard and waiting until June is a long way off still. With a mechanical rear locker, low transfer case and tow rating of 4200lbs the Cherokee is interesting for sure. I like the exterior look of the Bronco Sport more but I'm starting to think more about the Cherokee. I think I'm going to go test drive one at least

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Except that Jeep has severely cramped headroom for guys 6'3", a long-in-the-tooth design and it's a Chrysler. They'll never be able to convince me that their quality is anywhere near up to snuff.
I ain't going to argue with the need of headroom, so yeah if you're over 6 ft it's probably not the right car for you.. even with the seat at the lowest there's only a inch or two above my head and I'm 6 ft.
As I get into my second month of waiting for the BL + BL I've been checking out the Cherokee Trailhawk a bit more. There are some great deals in my area and I can walk in a buy one today. We don't have a car at the moment so the wait is getting hard and waiting until June is a long way off still. With a mechanical rear locker, low transfer case and tow rating of 4200lbs the Cherokee is interesting for sure. I like the exterior look of the Bronco Sport more but I'm starting to think more about the Cherokee. I think I'm going to go test drive one at least
When I get home tonight I'll post the things I don't like it owning it.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Ok after another long road trip, 6 hours, I've compiled my list of mostly nitpics and one real complaint.

The transmission is terrible in automatic and fine in sport. If someone is a road performance person this will really put them off the vehicle. It downshifts in automatic like it's trying to figure out how each time. I leave it in sport when driving in mountains and it's not an issue for me.

On to the nitpics in no particular order.

The lane keep assist is useless.

The blind spot lights are hard to see

It doesn't have a car approach warning on the lights. My Crosstrek had this and it was handy to know when a car was approaching behind you fast.

I'd prefer the storage area was rubberized instead of carpeted.

The interior everywhere you touch it is soft touch except down by the door where your left knee might rest, it is hard plastic.

No option for the 2.0 turbo in this year's Trailhawk. I think I still would have gotten the V6 but I know a lot of people would prefer the turbo. I'd have liked to have test driven both and made a decision. Oddly the turbo is still available in the Trailhawk in Canada.

City gas mileage is bad but highway is surprisingly good so that's sort of a mixed bag. My overall average, because I do a lot of road trips, is about 25mpg. If you drive mostly city you're probably going to be down in the mid teens.

The car is entirely LED lights except for the overheads which I had to replace with LEDs.

Useless storage area light.

You should go adjust the temperature with a knob instead of a button.

End nitpicks...

I highly suggest you do a lot of highway driving on your test drive to make sure that transmission doesn't drive you nuts.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
I highly suggest you do a lot of highway driving on your test drive to make sure that transmission doesn't drive you nuts.
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the Cherokee Trailhawk. I'll let you know what I think after I test drive one.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the Cherokee Trailhawk. I'll let you know what I think after I test drive one.
Oh those are just a negatives I can post a longer list of stuff I like about it LOL.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Well, I just got a couple warning lights about the powertrain and hill start assist at only 450 miles. I guess it’s off to the shop for me.

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
Well, I just got a couple warning lights about the powertrain and hill start assist at only 450 miles. I guess it’s off to the shop for me.
check out my post here https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/almost-left-me-stranded-with-only-206-miles-on-it.2171/post-38801

That’s exactly what mine did when it went on the total fritz and quit with ALL the alarms going off. Per the repair ticket it had trans fluid in the loom cable. Not saying it’s this, but seems I’m the first bronco sport to pave the way here on a bigger failure and with the amount of people beginning to post these electrical/assist gremlins I’m curious if were looking at a bigger overall flaw.

Reactions: Jrl

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
check out my post here https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/almost-left-me-stranded-with-only-206-miles-on-it.2171/post-38801

That’s exactly what mine did when it went on the total fritz and quit with ALL the alarms going off. Per the repair ticket it had trans fluid in the loom cable. Not saying it’s this, but seems I’m the first bronco sport to pave the way here on a bigger failure and with the amount of people beginning to post these electrical/assist gremlins I’m curious if were looking at a bigger overall flaw.
Mine hasn’t stopped yet, but the errors do seem like they are unrelated (and therefore could be a wiring issue).
Sponsored