Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I live in central Illinois (read flat land). Some friends are going to go mudding and I got invited. I have a outer banks sport and my friends said it will do fine.

Two questions:
1) will it do fine?
2) what GOAT mode should I use? OB does not have mud so I was not sure if snow or sand is best.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I live in central Illinois (read flat land). Some friends are going to go mudding and I got invited. I have a outer banks sport and my friends said it will do fine.

Two questions:
1) will it do fine?
2) what GOAT mode should I use? OB does not have mud so I was not sure if snow or sand is best.
It really depends on how deep the mud is and your tires. Your car has limited ground clearance, and as soon as you're deep enough for anything underneath to touch the mud you're done. Further, your 4WD system has an open differential in the rear, so if one wheel loses traction the only way to get traction to the other wheel is for the system to apply brakes on the spinning wheel. This can really limit the amount of power going to the wheels at a time when you NEED power.

Beyond that, the most critical thing is your tires. If you have the stock tires that come on the OB then I would not take your car in the mud. Mud is one of the biggest challenges for off-road vehicles, and most people who go mudding have tires made specifically to drive in mud.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
stock tires wont get you far.
but, since you have a few buddies with you, try it out! see how you do, and have a tow point ready prior incase you need a tug.
^ This...and take pictures and let us know how it goes!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Depending on the depth and consistency of the mud the stock tires may not be your friend.
If the mud is only the wet surface type with a solid base below you'll have fun sliding around, otherwise do what you can and if you get stuck you have friends to help.
I hope you have the tow package so there is something to connect to if you do get stuck.
Above all else, take it easy and have fun.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It really depends on how deep the mud is and your tires. Your car has limited ground clearance, and as soon as you're deep enough for anything underneath to touch the mud you're done. Further, your 4WD system has an open differential in the rear, so if one wheel loses traction the only way to get traction to the other wheel is for the system to apply brakes on the spinning wheel. This can really limit the amount of power going to the wheels at a time when you NEED power.

Beyond that, the most critical thing is your tires. If you have the stock tires that come on the OB then I would not take your car in the mud. Mud is one of the biggest challenges for off-road vehicles, and most people who go mudding have tires made specifically to drive in mud.
Even with AT3s I had sketchy time in the mud during rain.

When it started to rain the trail I was on almost instantly turned into clay river, no problem driving forward. Then for some reason I needed to go around something I turn wheel the whole way to the right but BS was still swimming / hydroplaning on mud following the ruts. Eventually I found some traction and was able to get out onto some less wet mud...I got out and tires were completely packed and looked smooth.
Fun time tho

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I agree , stock street type Tires will not be the greatest for Mud , but that also depends on what depth of Mud . Take Traction control off & run in Slippery GOAT mode . good luck , momentum can be your friend in most cases .

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
We had 8 inches of snow and then it got 60 degrees. So even the seasoned people said it was a no go because too much water. So we went on some trails and stuff. My friend drove first and gave instructions and then I took over. It was fun splashing around and sliding on gravel.

Thanks for all the responses!

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
It's surprising how well it handles off road even without having a BL

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
So even the seasoned people said it was a no go because too much water.
Sounds like you all made the right decision. I would rather be looking at a mud puddle wishing I was in it than sitting in a mud puddle wishing I wasn't.
Sponsored