Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So, I’m thinking about this for next year. From all I have seen, including having owned an OB with the tow… is that the curt looks like it sticks out significantly father and decreases the departure angle?

the OEM seems to mostly maintain it? It would not be good out here in AZ to reduce that too much.

if anyone has some definitive info to that point I would appreciate so I can consider in my research. (Edited typo)
Sponsored

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
I bought the curt. Easier installation did not have to remove any part other than lower the exhaust about six inches. Curt is a class 3 with stronger weld support. I would think putting on a bike rack and hitting some off the pavement swales May end up putting more strain on the hitch than 200lbs so class 3 it was.
How long did it take to attach the hitch. Looking at getting one.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
depends on your skill level & accommodations
recommend viewing install videos
installed curt hitch a few weeks back
nice weather / driveway install
tools laid out ready to go
wood blocks with shims for exhaust pipe support
lowered muffler/exhaust pipe by removing successive shims
bolts easier than I thought
most difficult part
aligning hitch with bolts by myself
again balancing act with blocks and shims
my application 2-3 hours
retired no hurry for anything these days

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Would you please explain this to my wife? :crackup:
router, table saw, mitre saw
power cords and saw dust
slow steady drizzle of rain
ahhhhshit.jpg
no prob we've done this before
stream of rain now coming from brim of hat
glance to my left
pair of sneakers
not mine
uh oh
peripheral view
umbrella
Kong
ummm yeah
it's raining
well that explains why everything's wet
time to come in Kong
shit, I never get to have any fun

this is why we're still alive Mark
if it weren't for Mrs
posthumous would be part of our nomenclature
the art of pushing up daisies

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Drivetrain and suspension. Not necessarily the unibody; it's not the hitch/receiver.

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
Well I'm going to say two hours on a nice day taking my time and listening to music enjoying working on my Bronco. But in reality it would be sub 1 hour. You get the advantage of not removing the rear crash support bar and replacing with the tow bar OEM. You take two 10 mm screws out that hold each of the muffler supports and then you use a strap to support the muffler as it hangs down. E-trailer has a step by step video on the curt bar installation. Also no disassembly of the side panels AND for what it is worth the rear access to the recovery hole and threaded post is unaffected. Could still be used if needed.

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Well I'm going to say two hours on a nice day taking my time and listening to music enjoying working on my Bronco. But in reality it would be sub 1 hour. You get the advantage of not removing the rear crash support bar and replacing with the tow bar OEM. You take two 10 mm screws out that hold each of the muffler supports and then you use a strap to support the muffler as it hangs down. E-trailer has a step by step video on the curt bar installation. Also no disassembly of the side panels AND for what it is worth the rear access to the recovery hole and threaded post is unaffected. Could still be used if needed.
Thanks for the feedback. I did the job and it was not complicated. Less involved than the other hitch in which the bumper comes off! Helped to place jack stands on each side to give more clearance to work. The video was an asset.

Jockey

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Area 51
I have a Badlands model with factory tow and I see the ratings are 220lbs tongue and 2200lbs trailer weight.

The Curt model for the BS (CMF13474) is rated at 525lbs tongue and 3500lbs trailer weight.

Curious on why they are so far apart on the ratings and if the factory hitch is underrated or if it's purely the design. I understand that the tow rating from Ford was reduced (compared to the Escape) due to the suspension.

Hitch design or reserved ratings?
Ford Bronco Sport OEM tow hitch vs aftermarket (Curt) 1659884227826
Ford Bronco Sport OEM tow hitch vs aftermarket (Curt) 1659884247838
I have a Badlands model with factory tow and I see the ratings are 220lbs tongue and 2200lbs trailer weight.

The Curt model for the BS (CMF13474) is rated at 525lbs tongue and 3500lbs trailer weight.

Curious on why they are so far apart on the ratings and if the factory hitch is underrated or if it's purely the design. I understand that the tow rating from Ford was reduced (compared to the Escape) due to the suspension.

According to CURT, you need to use the vehicles rating, not the hitch rating when loading up trailer etc. So Bronco Sport Badlands 2200 LB Limit. 225 LBs Tongue weight based on Ford Specs on vehicle. Lower Models are 2000 LBS Towing max.

OP
OP
Dark

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
According to CURT, you need to use the vehicles rating, not the hitch rating when loading up trailer etc. So Bronco Sport Badlands 2200 LB Limit. 225 LBs Tongue weight based on Ford Specs on vehicle. Lower Models are 2000 LBS Towing max.
Yea that's been covered already.

Jockey

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Area 51
Yea that's been covered already.
Cool. I just installed Curt from U-Haul and T-One connectors. Looks pretty good. I wanted more towing capacity, but unfortunately can't have it with BS. I was hoping to tow my 2020 Polaris Slingshot. Trailer plus Sling over the 2200 lbs ! May get the 2024 Electric/Hybrid Bronco. That can tow 3500 !
Sponsored