OEM tow hitch vs aftermarket (Curt)

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a Badlands model with factory tow and I see the ratings are 220lbs tongue and 2200lbs trailer weight.

The Curt model for the BS (CMF13474) is rated at 525lbs tongue and 3500lbs trailer weight.

Curious on why they are so far apart on the ratings and if the factory hitch is underrated or if it's purely the design. I understand that the tow rating from Ford was reduced (compared to the Escape) due to the suspension.

Hitch design or reserved ratings?
Ford Bronco Sport OEM tow hitch vs aftermarket (Curt) 1659884227826
Ford Bronco Sport OEM tow hitch vs aftermarket (Curt) 1659884247838
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
IMO, it’s only because it’s considered a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver. The Ford design does not appear to be any less substantial. As you said, it’s all in the suspension, not the class of the hitch or the HP of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Dark

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, it’s only because it’s considered a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver. The Ford design does not appear to be any less substantial. As you said, it’s all in the suspension, not the class of the hitch or the HP of the vehicle.
And that’s what I’m hoping is the case. The 220lb tongue weight limits me quite severely BUT I wouldn’t be hauling anything at great lengths with that much hanging off the hitch.

The OEM hitch looks to have more reinforcements which is why I figured it’s ratings were on the cautious side.

OP
OP
Dark

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's not necessarily what the topic is about (despite my reference to the suspension in the OP). Its about the differences, if any, between the two hitches in relation to their weight ratings.
I think it is germane, mainly because I don't think Ford's tow limit for the BS is based on the hitch. Curt sets limitations for their hitches, not for the vehicles they're mounted on. Ford's tow limit for the Escape with a 2.0L, which is based on the same C2 platform as the BS, is 3500 lbs.

OP
OP
Dark

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it is germane, mainly because I don't think Ford's tow limit for the BS is based on the hitch. Curt sets limitations for their hitches, not for the vehicles they're mounted on. Ford's tow limit for the Escape with a 2.0L, which is based on the same C2 platform as the BS, is 3500 lbs.
Exactly! If the limitation is not structural then that’s the information I like to hear. Completely understanding that the vehicle isn’t truly rated for towing such weights in stock form BUT I have less concern if I need to transport something over 220lbs on a hitch rack a few miles away.
While I wouldn’t expect much R&D from Curt there is a liability involved with providing a rating of their hitch for a particular vehicle and my guess is they are blanketing the rating across the chassis (escape/bs).

Magnato1

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a Badlands model with factory tow and I see the ratings are 220lbs tongue and 2200lbs trailer weight.

The Curt model for the BS (CMF13474) is rated at 525lbs tongue and 3500lbs trailer weight.

Curious on why they are so far apart on the ratings and if the factory hitch is underrated or if it's purely the design. I understand that the tow rating from Ford was reduced (compared to the Escape) due to the suspension.

I don’t think the difference is due to the hitches. It’s due to Ford’s rating for the BS. I think a big factor in that rating is the fact that the BS is unibody, rather than having a sturdy steel frame to mount the hitch to. I think if you start pushing anything over 220, you might bend/tweak something. The hitch will be fine, the unibody, maybe not.

jimharrison1950

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend HOT PEPPER RED

It has nothing to do with the hitch as much as the vehicles rating.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think the difference is due to the hitches. It’s due to Ford’s rating for the BS. I think a big factor in that rating is the fact that the BS is unibody, rather than having a sturdy steel frame to mount the hitch to. I think if you start pushing anything over 220, you might bend/tweak something. The hitch will be fine, the unibody, maybe not.
I don't believe it's the unibody frame; the Escape is built on the same unibody frame (Ford's C2 platform) as the Bronco Sport, and with a 2.0L it's rated for a max trailer weight of 3500 lbs and 350 lbs tongue capacity.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Escape_Oct15.pdf

For the all models other than the Badlands the limited towing capacity has to do with the engine. I believe for the Badlands it has to do with the suspension and/or twin-clutch rear diff. My reasoning is based on Ford's limitations for the Maverick (again, same C2 platform). You can get a Maverick 2.0L with a 4K towing package that offers 4,000 lb max trailer weight, but you cannot get the 4K towing package with the new Tremor package. The Tremor package--which includes a 1-inch suspension lift, softer springs, and a twin-clutch rear diff--reduces the max trailer weight to 2,000 lbs.

OP
OP
Dark

Dark

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has nothing to do with the hitch as much as the vehicles rating.
from the factory, yes, that has been established already.

the question is why Curt is claiming far greater ratings on their hitch for the Bronco Sport (which folks are going to go off of).

GVWR plays a roll but the 500+lb tongue rating is a massive improvement.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the question is why Curt is claiming far greater ratings on their hitch for the Bronco Sport (which folks are going to go off of).
Curt's ratings are for its hitch. Ford's ratings are for its vehicles. Curt's website states "[t]railer hitch weight ratings are limited to vehicle manufacturer's stated capacities."

In short, Curt's hitch is no more durable than Ford's OEM hitch. The limitation listed in the Owner's Manual is based on the vehicle, not the hitch.

Last edited:

Magnato1

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't believe it's the unibody frame; the Escape is built on the same unibody frame (Ford's C2 platform) as the Bronco Sport, and with a 2.0L it's rated for a max trailer weight of 3500 lbs and 350 lbs tongue capacity.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Escape_Oct15.pdf

For the all models other than the Badlands the limited towing capacity has to do with the engine. I believe for the Badlands it has to do with the suspension and/or twin-clutch rear diff. My reasoning is based on Ford's limitations for the Maverick (again, same C2 platform). You can get a Maverick 2.0L with a 4K towing package that offers 4,000 lb max trailer weight, but you cannot get the 4K towing package with the new Tremor package. The Tremor package--which includes a 1-inch suspension lift, softer springs, and a twin-clutch rear diff--reduces the max trailer weight to 2,000 lbs.
Interesting. This is good to know. Thanks!

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
from the factory, yes, that has been established already.

GVWR plays a roll but the 500+lb tongue rating is a massive improvement.
I bought the curt. Easier installation did not have to remove any part other than lower the exhaust about six inches. Curt is a class 3 with stronger weld support. I would think putting on a bike rack and hitting some off the pavement swales May end up putting more strain on the hitch than 200lbs so class 3 it was.
Sponsored