AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
real world review here ... base model no sunroof ... on thule roof bars ... our smittybuilt rtt is about 120 lbs. driving with it is no worries. easily sleep 2 adults (we are both 6'2 and 170 lbs) and a 150 lbs dog up there. sets up / takes down in like 3 minutes. super cozy and retains heat quite well. we did almost 10,000kms with it this summer alone, no issues, not one. we def got our use out of it this summer, cleaned it up, dried it out, and it now sleeps safely in the shed for the winter .....
we added a 3 inch memory foam to it.
would def buy another one, we get alot of questions about it anywhere we set up so we like that aspect.
Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions 3A2A7EF7-08BD-45CD-88AF-963CEF2D5AEE

Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions 624E173C-AB29-485B-A562-2FFA60C3F551

Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions C964612F-36CC-4B15-AD24-6CAFE99A4C76
Sponsored

Lil

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Which online sites are trustful for me to buy a car for a travel?

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
The difference in the dynamic limit is based on the fact the moonroof, with the glass and mechanism to open/close it, adds weight to the top of the vehicle compared to the standard roof. This document from NHTSA describes the testing required to demonstrate a vehicle's resistance to rollover while maneuvering. Any weight you add to the top of a vehicle will make it more prone to rollover. Ford has determined the maximum you can add to keep the Bronco Sport within acceptable rollover resistance limits is 150lbs, but the weight of the moonroof has to be subtracted from the limit.
Thank you for pointing this out. I did not read in whole the NHTSA document but the analysis of this thread makes perfect sense.

I also read the brochure and know the limit of the moon roof model BS is lower than non-moon roof. I always thought that doesn't exactly make sense as far as vertical load structural limit (#1) The only reason why I see is that the side structure of the passenger cabin is not exactly vertical. So the sloping angle of this structure causes a moment (#2) force which requires roof structure (#3) to resist. if the moon roof structure is not as strong as the regular roof; therefore, the weight limit is less. This, I don't believe is the case.

Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions 1666274538931

The only other possibility the moon roof model has less dynamic is the uplift force during acceleration and deceleration. A hard stop or crash will cause significant uplift force on the roof rack with weight on top. and why the moon roof model will have less capacity for this......nah....that can't be. The lateral (side) force when stopping hard...nah...that can't be either.

So, I think I'm comfortable loading 600 lbs static weight on the roof. just don't bounce on your RTT :crackup:

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
real world review here ... base model no sunroof ... on thule roof bars ... our smittybuilt rtt is about 120 lbs. driving with it is no worries. easily sleep 2 adults (we are both 6'2 and 170 lbs) and a 150 lbs dog up there. sets up / takes down in like 3 minutes. super cozy and retains heat quite well. we did almost 10,000kms with it this summer alone, no issues, not one. we def got our use out of it this summer, cleaned it up, dried it out, and it now sleeps safely in the shed for the winter .....
would def buy another one, we get alot of questions about it anywhere we set up so we like that aspect.
3A2A7EF7-08BD-45CD-88AF-963CEF2D5AEE.jpeg

624E173C-AB29-485B-A562-2FFA60C3F551.jpeg

C964612F-36CC-4B15-AD24-6CAFE99A4C76.jpeg
Thanks for the pics. Sounds like it would hold my 245 lbs with no issues. A couple questions, you mentioned it retains heat well, what are the coldest temps you have used it in? During the summer do you leave it attached during times when you are not using it (ie day to day activities)?

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pics. Sounds like it would hold my 245 lbs with no issues. A couple questions, you mentioned it retains heat well, what are the coldest temps you have used it in? During the summer do you leave it attached during times when you are not using it (ie day to day activities)?
So i am fortunate enough that my girlfriend is as tall as me, and stronger than me lol. We take it off when not in use, so we only throw it up when we are ready to go camping. After measuring to make sure it's square on the roof, there are only 8 washers & nuts to bolt down. Maybe takes 15 mins from tossing it up, measuring, and securing so no big deal.

This fall we were up in the rocky mountains of BC, and a few nights it went to below 0 Celsius, pretty cold up in higher altitudes. So in those cases there was frost and some light snow on the outside when we woke up. We just take a lot of blankets, and a towel for inside condensation. Now I wouldn't camp in -20 haha, but it does retain some heat.

We paid $1,800ish Canadian on amazon and it came on a pallet in 3 days.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Airing out apres-camp at home. Sleeps 2 adults comfortably, rooftop weight with tent and rack hardware about 119 lbs. on a BS BL/BL with moonroof! No worries, you need to drive cautiously with all this stuff mounted up anyway -- if you haven't rolled it over, then you're all-set. The static limit is 600 lbs. and getting nowhere near close to that ever. Sets up in 3'45" flat. The only downside -- and that was temporary -- was the ladder. It took some convincing to get my companion up and down (esp. for middle-of-the-night "restroom" breaks) but in actual practice -- "a piece of cake." A steal at $800 US never used (new retail would have been $1999 US in today's dollars. As great as this thing is, I'm not paying that).
Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions 296742420_10219449139211107_2146695754488410160_n

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tRex - nice setup. Ours seem pretty similar however your ladder i like way more. And we tried for months to find a used one but to no avail. The rtt camping experience is pretty great.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
So i am fortunate enough that my girlfriend is as tall as me, and stronger than me lol. We take it off when not in use, so we only throw it up when we are ready to go camping. After measuring to make sure it's square on the roof, there are only 8 washers & nuts to bolt down. Maybe takes 15 mins from tossing it up, measuring, and securing so no big deal.

This fall we were up in the rocky mountains of BC, and a few nights it went to below 0 Celsius, pretty cold up in higher altitudes. So in those cases there was frost and some light snow on the outside when we woke up. We just take a lot of blankets, and a towel for inside condensation. Now I wouldn't camp in -20 haha, but it does retain some heat.

We paid $1,800ish Canadian on amazon and it came on a pallet in 3 days.
Maybe I missed it and if I did I apologize for asking, what is the brand and model of your unit?

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JohnRubinsky

Big Bend
First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
3A2A7EF7-08BD-45CD-88AF-963CEF2D5AEE.jpeg

624E173C-AB29-485B-A562-2FFA60C3F551.jpeg

C964612F-36CC-4B15-AD24-6CAFE99A4C76.jpeg
I have a bronco sport and I'm looking into getting a RTT (probably the one from Rough Country) but to be honest I would like the tent to open towards the back not to the sides, I have that taller crossbars so my tent would be sitting maybe 2in higher than yours. Would I be able to open the trunk? Even if it doesn't open all the way up, just about 80%, that would be ok. But would I have enough clearance for the ladder with the trunk open? Would it work? Thanks
Sponsored