UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2021 Tesla MYLR
It has been decades since we camped and don't want to sleep on the ground anymore. What are the limitations with getting an RTT on a BS? We have a badlands BS with the moonroof. Are the weight limits based on the factory rails/rack that can be overcome by getting an aftermarket rack or rail set, or is it a structural issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
OP
OP
UncleRenty

UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The weight limits are structural, I believe.
Okay, so the static limit is 450 because the structural beam that would be on the room was taken out for the moonroof. Neat.

Thanks for your help!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Okay, so the static limit is 450 because the structural beam that would be on the room was taken out for the moonroof. Neat.

Thanks for your help!
There are two weight limits: static and dynamic. The static weight limit applies when the vehicle is not moving, and is structural. According to Ford, the static limit is 600 lbs, not 450 lbs. The dynamic weight limit applies when the vehicle is in motion, and it's based on rollover characteristics. The higher your vehicle's center of gravity the more prone to roll over. For 2021, the dynamic limit is 100 lbs/150 lbs with/without a moonroof. For 2022 it's 110 lbs/150 lbs. I have no idea why the dynamic limit changed for 2022.

OP
OP
UncleRenty

UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two weight limits: static and dynamic. The static weight limit applies when the vehicle is not moving, and is structural. According to Ford, the static limit is 600 lbs, not 450 lbs. The dynamic weight limit applies when the vehicle is in motion, and it's based on rollover characteristics. The higher your vehicle's center of gravity the more prone to roll over. For 2021, the dynamic limit is 100 lbs/150 lbs with/without a moonroof. For 2022 it's 110 lbs/150 lbs. I have no idea why the dynamic limit changed for 2022.
I am just validating this and called Ford. I know the dynamic 110 lb limit with the moonroof, but the static limit is the one I am looking for now. Waiting to get a reply from them directly since Ford isn't clear on this. With the regular Bronco it is listed right on the spec sheet, but it isn't on the BS.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am just validating this and called Ford. I know the dynamic 110 lb limit with the moonroof, but the static limit is the one I am looking for now. Waiting to get a reply from them directly since Ford isn't clear on this. With the regular Bronco it is listed right on the spec sheet, but it isn't on the BS.
Check out page 4 of this brochure. Says 600 lb static and 150 lb dynamic limits, then specifically calls out a reduction in dynamic limit for moonroof, but says nothing about a different static limit. It doesn't make sense there would be a lower static limit for the moonroof. To protect the occupants, the roof has to hold some percentage of the vehicle's weight in the event the car rolls over. It doesn't seem logical that Ford would add a moonroof if it compromised passenger protection--that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

OP
OP
UncleRenty

UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, but if the difference in the dynamic load limit is based on the removal of the mid crossmember, then you could assume that the static load would be affected as well. They have forwarded the question to their tier 2 support and are contacting engineering to figure it out. Still on hold.

OP
OP
UncleRenty

UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For instance, the manual says the following:
Ford Bronco Sport New to overlanding/camping RTT questions 1666018383597

1) This is old information since the 2022 model should hold 110lbs
2) This is wrong information. The BS does not have a panoramic roof - the Escape does, which shares the same overall platform, but the moonroof itself is not the same as the panoramic roof, which is a static roof that does not retract.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, but if the difference in the dynamic load limit is based on the removal of the mid crossmember, then you could assume that the static load would be affected as well. They have forwarded the question to their tier 2 support and are contacting engineering to figure it out. Still on hold.
The difference in the dynamic limit is based on the fact the moonroof, with the glass and mechanism to open/close it, adds weight to the top of the vehicle compared to the standard roof. This document from NHTSA describes the testing required to demonstrate a vehicle's resistance to rollover while maneuvering. Any weight you add to the top of a vehicle will make it more prone to rollover. Ford has determined the maximum you can add to keep the Bronco Sport within acceptable rollover resistance limits is 150lbs, but the weight of the moonroof has to be subtracted from the limit.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
Check out page 4 of this brochure. Says 600 lb static and 150 lb dynamic limits, then specifically calls out a reduction in dynamic limit for moonroof, but says nothing about a different static limit. It doesn't make sense there would be a lower static limit for the moonroof. To protect the occupants, the roof has to hold some percentage of the vehicle's weight in the event the car rolls over. It doesn't seem logical that Ford would add a moonroof if it compromised passenger protection--that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Its possible that the dynamic number is lower on vehicles with the moonroof just because of the weight of the moonroof itself and for no other reason.

OP
OP
UncleRenty

UncleRenty

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference in the dynamic limit is based on the fact the moonroof, with the glass and mechanism to open/close it, adds weight to the top of the vehicle compared to the standard roof. This document from NHTSA describes the testing required to demonstrate a vehicle's resistance to rollover while maneuvering. Any weight you add to the top of a vehicle will make it more prone to rollover. Ford has determined the maximum you can add to keep the Bronco Sport within acceptable rollover resistance limits is 150lbs, but the weight of the moonroof has to be subtracted from the limit.
I say we roll with that then. Ford support was literally no help. They referred to the manual and said that the max capacity for the roof (static or dynamic) is 100lbs, and that the panoramic roof is the same as the moonroof. I am kind of done with this. I spent over an hour on the phone and they told me wrong information. I'm not sure if this is incompetence, literally just not caring, or having too many disparate groups working on the same thing and no one talking to each other. It is this kind of thing that makes people think that Ford doesn't know what they are doing.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its possible that the dynamic number is lower on vehicles with the moonroof just because of the weight of the moonroof itself and for no other reason.
If that were the case then both the dynamic AND static limits would be lower for cars with a moonroof. The dynamic limit isn't about structure.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
If that were the case then both the dynamic AND static limits would be lower for cars with a moonroof. The dynamic limit isn't about structure.
I was just thinking that if the dynamic number is to limit the rollover possibility when carrying a load on the roof racks then it would only make since that it would be lower on the models with a moonroof. Obviously the moonroof glass weighs more than the regular roof and since it is at the top of the vehicle it also makes since that one with the moonroof might have a slight higher chance of rollover vs. once with a regular roof. If that's the case then have that extra 50 lbs up there just adds to the effect. The static number would not change because the attachment points are the same no matter which roof you have, that's the one that I think is more about structure, the dynamic is more about safety.

But as with anything we could all be wrong and its just the Ford engineers messing with us so we have something to talk about.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just thinking that if the dynamic number is to limit the rollover possibility when carrying a load on the roof racks then it would only make since that it would be lower on the models with a moonroof.
Gotcha--I misunderstood your last post. I said the same thing as you in my previous post here. I'm certain the lower dynamic limit is related to the weight of the moonroof installation.

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
Gotcha--I misunderstood your last post. I said the same thing as you in my previous post here. I'm certain the lower dynamic limit is related to the weight of the moonroof installation.
Ahhh the forest for the trees. Sorry about that must have read it when I half asleep and dreaming of the day I can actually drive mine. LOL
Sponsored