fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Well, it's been a week since I've taken delivery and I've already put about 800 miles on her for her first camping trip. This week's destination was the Bonneville Raceway in Utah for a quick muck-about followed by a drive over the Nevada border out to a non-guided tour of Goshute Caves. It was about a 4 hour drive from my house to the trailhead which gave me plenty of seat time to really dig in to the "qUiRks and fEaTuReS" of the first new car I've ever owned.

Background: My daily driving setup used to be a 2016 Focus ST for my commuter/fun car, my camper/offroader/roadtripper was a 2003 Nissan Xterra and I also currently STILL have a 2003 NB2 Miata. Long story short, I wrecked the Xterra (RIP ?) traded in the ST for the Bronco and I still have the miata.

In anycase, my driving experience has mostly been with 5+ year old cars (with the exception of the ST which was only 2 years old when I bought it) so stepping into the modern automotive world is legitimately a SHOCK.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220108_183214667~2

So, starting with first impressions after having driven for 4 hours straight, let me tell you that compared to my Xterra, it did NOT feel like a 4 hour trip. I cannot believe how much pain and suffering I was going through to pursue my favorite outdoor hobby with that old thing. The xterra would wander and flop all over the road making the trip an exhausting babysitting marathon, the effort it took to get up to speed and the amount of complaining it did really sucked any confidence I might've had in it's abilities (though it never left me stranded) and while I loved that thing, every trip in it was stressful, draining and anxiety riddled.

Not so with the Sport! The drive is comfortable, composed. The steering is direct and planted, it never gets upset even after going over bumps at high speed and takes so much less focus to manage. The intelligent cruise control is a wonder and a burden off my back. It was so easy and pleasant the whole trip that I'm now reevaluating my previous "range" for weekend getaways. I would caution that if you're thinking of buying a Sport (or any new vehicle for that matter) without 360+ to strongly reconsider, it's THAT game-changing.

The only quirk I noted with the lane centering system was that at high speeds it tended to sway ever so slightly within the lanes. Not all the time, but sometimes it would just slowly ping pong. Not bad enough to be worried about it, just a little thing I noticed.

Other thoughts:

- Seats are much more comfortable than I was expecting based on others descriptions in this forum
- Heated seats get WAAAY hot, goddamn
- Power is plentiful and easy to tap into, although it is all down low in the RPMS which gives the throttle a "on/off" feel if you know what I mean
- Copilot lets you (responsibly) enjoy the scenery the same as your passengers, which, being the person who always drives because you have the most seats/ground clearance out of all your friends is just really nice when you've typically had to keep your eyes on the road.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_004340882

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_032659548

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_005421417

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_002246877~2

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_034855793~2

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220108_231718988~2

We took two cars for this trip and it was really cool to compare the two. We eventually got to a dirt road which quickly turned into a half frozen half muddy nightmare. The CX5 with us barely made it, but to it's credit, it DID make it, but not without much complaint from the car itself. You basically had to just turn off traction control and pin it through every muddy spot in order to make it.

The Bronco on the other hand could go through any obstacle at whatever speed it wanted. I feel like with a lift (we were scratching bellies the whole time) the sport would essentially be unstoppable.

As much as I'd like to report more on the off-road capabilities, truth be told it wasn't challenged that much at all, which is to say that to the Sport it was just another dirt road.

I'll be headed down to Moab for my second trip hopefully next weekend. I'm thinking of doing Fins n'things, so if any of you out there have any thoughts on whether that's a good idea or not, let me know!

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_042919947

Anyways, I'll keep posting my trips in this thread, I want to use this as an actual journal so I have some kind of archive of all my trips. Hope to see you guys out on the trails!
Sponsored

Seebs

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badland/2013 Mustang Convertible
Well, it's been a week since I've taken delivery and I've already put about 800 miles on her for her first camping trip. This week's destination was the Bonneville Raceway in Utah for a quick muck-about followed by a drive over the Nevada border out to a non-guided tour of Goshute Caves. It was about a 4 hour drive from my house to the trailhead which gave me plenty of seat time to really dig in to the "qUiRks and fEaTuReS" of the first new car I've ever owned.

Background: My daily driving setup used to be a 2016 Focus ST for my commuter/fun car, my camper/offroader/roadtripper was a 2003 Nissan Xterra and I also currently STILL have a 2003 NB2 Miata. Long story short, I wrecked the Xterra (RIP ?) traded in the ST for the Bronco and I still have the miata.

In anycase, my driving experience has mostly been with 5+ year old cars (with the exception of the ST which was only 2 years old when I bought it) so stepping into the modern automotive world is legitimately a SHOCK.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220108_183214667~2

So, starting with first impressions after having driven for 4 hours straight, let me tell you that compared to my Xterra, it did NOT feel like a 4 hour trip. I cannot believe how much pain and suffering I was going through to pursue my favorite outdoor hobby with that old thing. The xterra would wander and flop all over the road making the trip an exhausting babysitting marathon, the effort it took to get up to speed and the amount of complaining it did really sucked any confidence I might've had in it's abilities (though it never left me stranded) and while I loved that thing, every trip in it was stressful, draining and anxiety riddled.

Not so with the Sport! The drive is comfortable, composed. The steering is direct and planted, it never gets upset even after going over bumps at high speed and takes so much less focus to manage. The intelligent cruise control is a wonder and a burden off my back. It was so easy and pleasant the whole trip that I'm now reevaluating my previous "range" for weekend getaways. I would caution that if you're thinking of buying a Sport (or any new vehicle for that matter) without 360+ to strongly reconsider, it's THAT game-changing.

The only quirk I noted with the lane centering system was that at high speeds it tended to sway ever so slightly within the lanes. Not all the time, but sometimes it would just slowly ping pong. Not bad enough to be worried about it, just a little thing I noticed.

Other thoughts:

- Seats are much more comfortable than I was expecting based on others descriptions in this forum
- Power is plentiful and easy to tap into, although it is all down low in the RPMS which gives the throttle a "on/off" feel if you know what I mean
- Copilot lets you (responsibly) enjoy the scenery the same as your passengers, which, being the person who always drives because you have the most seats/ground clearance out of all your friends is just really nice when you've typically had to keep your eyes on the road.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_004340882

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_032659548

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_005421417

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_002246877~2

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_034855793~2

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220108_231718988~2

We took two cars for this trip and it was really cool to compare the two. We eventually got to a dirt road which quickly turned into a half frozen half muddy nightmare. The CX5 with us barely made it, but to it's credit, it DID make it, but not without much complaint from the car itself. You basically had to just turn off traction control and pin it through every muddy spot in order to make it.

The Bronco on the other hand could go through any obstacle at whatever speed it wanted. I feel like with a lift (we were scratching bellies the whole time) the sport would essentially be unstoppable.

As much as I'd like to report more on the off-road capabilities, truth be told it wasn't challenged that much at all, which is to say that to the Sport it was just another dirt road.

I'll be headed down to Moab for my second trip hopefully next weekend. I'm thinking of doing Fins n'things, so if any of you out there have any thoughts on whether that's a good idea or not, let me know!

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220109_042919947

Anyways, I'll keep posting my trips in this thread, I want to use this as an actual journal so I have some kind of archive of all my trips. Hope to see you guys out on the trails!
Thanks for this great travelogue. I wish you many more wonderful adventures with family and friends in your new ride. Love the shot of the Badlands with the stars shimmering above. Impossible to duplicate that photo here along the RI coastline where I live, though the stargazing and meteor-watching can be very fulfilling when the fog leaves us alone (e.g., on winter nights, mostly!).

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Thanks for this great travelogue. I wish you many more wonderful adventures with family and friends in your new ride. Love the shot of the Badlands with the stars shimmering above. Impossible to duplicate that photo here along the RI coastline where I live, though the stargazing and meteor-watching can be very fulfilling when the fog leaves us alone (e.g., on winter nights, mostly!).
Thanks Seebs, bring your bronco out west and get a gander at the milky way belt with your naked eyes sometime!

Broncoguy90

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

Other thoughts:

Sounds like an awesome adventure, my man! Definitely keep them coming! Moab would be a dream come true for me, I’ll have to live vicariously through you in the meantime (curse you lousy pandemic!)

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Seats are much more comfortable than I was expecting based on others descriptions in this forum
I ordered the Premium Package but rather liked the cotton seats in my Big Bend. Glad to hear that the leather ones worked out. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Sounds like an awesome adventure, my man! Definitely keep them coming! Moab would be a dream come true for me, I’ll have to live vicariously through you in the meantime (curse you lousy pandemic!)
I'll hit a trail or two in your honor until you're able to get yourself out here ?

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
I ordered the Premium Package but rather liked the cotton seats in my Big Bend. Glad to hear that the leather ones worked out. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I've had no issues whatsoever. When I first got my Focus ST I was morbidly obese (weird choice of car at the time, I know) and those recaro seats have MASSIVE bolstering which I couldn't really fit in it until I lost all the weight. The Bronco's seats are a blessing compared to the ST's, I had zero mid-back pain after the trip which has almost never happened in a car before.

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Had a little post workout exploration sesh up the canyon near my house, the auto bright headlights are a revelation! It didn't even shrug in the unplowed snow, what an absolute beast.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220112_003356217~2

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220112_005746882~2

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Great write up! Looks like you had a lot of fun.

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Ran out to a place called little moab today outside of Utah Valley. Ground clearance appears to be the only hurdle, but that is very fixable. Only grabbed a quick video and a few pics, but she killed it. I've been out there a ton and it was able to do everything my Xterra did and a whole hell of a lot more comfortable.

Ford Bronco Sport My 2022 Badlands camping trip and photo journal PXL_20220115_212854895-01

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
Great pictures! What telescope camera combo did you use to get that moon picture.

OP
OP
fistpumpbruh

fistpumpbruh

Badlands
First Name
Karson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST st3
Great pictures! What telescope camera combo did you use to get that moon picture.
I have a Celestron StarSense Explorer telescope and I used my Pixel 6 Pro held up to the eyepiece lol. Took a while to steady my hand but I got it eventually.

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Miata GT 97 f150 21 BS BL
I use a Meade smart phone adapter PN 608007. Should work with any 1-1/4 eyepeice. I agree with your assessment of the BS BL performance. It gets me to where I want to go. Also, to those who don't like the auto head lights. Huh!! Although the Sport works well on curvy roads, the Twistee's in the Black Hills are reserved for my 06 Miata.
Sponsored