First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
This might sound weird butā€¦ I like this? I know I know ā€œwe should be able to get anything we wantā€ and all, but an example: when I was car shopping competitors to the BS, I went to build out a RAV4 - thereā€™s like 10 different trim levels, and then each trim has like 5 different sets of features inside them, not to mention extras and all of that. Itā€™s an almost overwhelming level of selection that can make it hard for the average person to pick what they want. ā€œParadox of choiceā€ and all that. If Ford chooses to go with less trims/options but puts the things people want in them, it makes it easier to pick and sell.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Itā€™ll be fine. In the future, if you want a new vehicle, you may be ordering and waiting instead of picking what is on a lot.

(you only need to listen to the first line but ā€¦)

Last edited:

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
This might sound weird butā€¦ I like this? I know I know ā€œwe should be able to get anything we wantā€ and all, but an example: when I was car shopping competitors to the BS, I went to build out a RAV4 - thereā€™s like 10 different trim levels, and then each trim has like 5 different sets of features inside them, not to mention extras and all of that. Itā€™s an almost overwhelming level of selection that can make it hard for the average person to pick what they want. ā€œParadox of choiceā€ and all that. If Ford chooses to go with less trims/options but puts the things people want in them, it makes it easier to pick and sell.
I totally agree. Though, the F-150 is kind of in the same boat Ford wise. There's like 8 trims with a 100 + packages, features, etc ...though, it makes a bit more sense in a truck.

With the OPs post regarding the Corsair: if the 2.3L was obviously not selling, why would Ford keep putting the motor in to just sit on the lot???

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Simplifying trims/options makes sense. I was looking at the new CX-50 on Mazda's site and there's like 10 poorly-named trims to shop; maybe this gives the sales department something to do / ample upsell opportunities?

What's annoying, though, is Ford removing bits and bobs without telling anyone. Or downgrading components, like replacing the folding headrests.

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Simplifying trims/options makes sense. I was looking at the new CX-50 on Mazda's site and there's like 10 poorly-named packages to shop; maybe this gives the sales department something to do / ample upsell opportunities?

What's annoying, though, is Ford removing bits and bobs without telling anyone. Or downgrading components, like replacing the folding headrests.
F.M.C. , Great company but complacency is what they have to much of . They have sort of forgotten the end user and have catered to some dealers to much, not all dealers but they need to weed out the bad ones . My two cents. People need to be more informed going into dealers , read ,join forums like this one . Be smarter. Be informed. Rant over .

Ford Bronco Sport Missing parts, less options, cheaper features.....its only going to get worse 47975F57-6F6A-4EFD-99EF-FE22C26A7535

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
It seems to make sense to me. Iā€™m a huge fan of car ordering given this is the 2nd time Iā€™ve done it now. But it does involve a wait. Otherwise if you have only a few of only the most common configurations on the lot, thatā€™s going to satisfy most of your customer base that wonā€™t wait for an order. To me this just fits in with what theyā€™ve been saying about trying to transition to a build to order model.

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
While I DON'T agree with removing little features within a model year as we've seen - reducing the number of order combinations also yield a lower price point they are able to achieve. Of course we won't get a big of a price break as Ford will by simplifying, but still - this is happening across all industries to reduce costs and streamline throughput and quality.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Mixed bag IMO. If you shop Hyundai the models have one option other than color. The rest of the "options" are all DI equipment like do you want the cargo mat or grocery net in the trunk.
On the other end, look at how FCA lays out Jeep Renegades. There are more trims than I can remember plus special editions and the build tool is not representative of what sits on dealer lots because the window stickers have option packages like "Cold Weather" or "Preferred Equip group 3a".
I like where the Bronco Sport is at. 4 trims and basically you have the trim package or you don't. Do some research and you'll know what to expect in a vehicle. Remember corporations aren't going to "simplify" things so you have a better experience. It's to increase profits.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Remember corporations aren't going to "simplify" things so you have a better experience. It's to increase profits.
true, but the first one very often leads to the second one

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Simplifying trims/options makes sense. I was looking at the new CX-50 on Mazda's site and there's like 10 poorly-named trims to shop; maybe this gives the sales department something to do / ample upsell opportunities?

Agreed...but my money is on Ford choosing what:
1) commands the most sales
2) see 1) commands the most profits
3) see 1)2) it's what people buy.
The objective and origin of Ford is mass production and streamline systems. Classic Henry Ford and the model T...you can order any color so long as it's black. The motto was to streamline production and efficiency while keeping cost at a minimum. That ideal hasn't changed since it's inception. Cheaper better faster is desirable.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Itā€™s all such bullshit.
The right way to buy is to kick the tires, choose an engine, standard should always be an option, choose a color, A/C always, CD player and drive it off the lot.
All these packages are over priced all the time.
Smoke and mirrors. Not my cup of tea.
I had to walk to school, Up Hill !
Both ways, In the Rain.
Iā€™m made up of Puppy dog tails not wussy comfy fried foods.
I am Not a Fat and Happy American !
My BASE model has options Iā€™ve never needed.
Iā€™d gladly trade em all for a Six Speed Stick Shift in a Heart Beat.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Itā€™s all such bullshit.
The right way to buy is to kick the tires, choose an engine, standard should always be an option, choose a color, A/C always, CD player and drive it off the lot.
All these packages are over priced all the time.
Smoke and mirrors. Not my cup of tea.
I had to walk to school, Up Hill !
Both ways, In the Rain.
Iā€™m made up of Puppy dog tails not wussy comfy fried foods.
I am Not a Fat and Happy American !
My BASE model has options Iā€™ve never needed.
Iā€™d gladly trade em all for a Six Speed Stick Shift in a Heart Beat.
Sounds like you need a base model bronco with manual transšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ I rode my bike...up hill, both ways, in the snow. Lived on one side of a valley and middle school was on the otheršŸ˜‰

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
true, but the first one very often leads to the second one
Other than the folding headrests and maybe the LED temperature controls, I would argue the other items donā€™t provide a better experience. The engine cover, starter button LED, and the passenger insulation panel are only an issue because they never said they were stopping them until they did. Iā€™m happy to get the leather steering wheel standard on my Badlands in exchange for the engine cover and passenger panel. Since the Escape had headrests that had to be removed to fold the seats, I was used to it.

I think the big take away (pun intended) is if Ford said what they were removing in the 2022 guide like they did for the items they added, nobody would be too wound up.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Sounds like you need a base model bronco with manual transšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ I rode my bike...up hill, both ways, in the snow. Lived on one side of a valley and middle school was on the otheršŸ˜‰
or a Toyota Tercel.
Sponsored