Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I live in a hilly/mountainous area and I have towed near the edge regarding capacity. The issue of primary concern is braking rather than uphill. I've seen a lot of jackknifed boat trailers behind Tacomas and like, and some compact SUVs, usually on a downhill curve with a decreasing radius. They go into the curve too fast, brake hard, resulting in weight transfer forward. The trailer lifts and pushes the rear of the vehicle off the road, resulting in a jackknife.
This can be avoided with technique, primarily not driving down twisty mountain roads too aggressively and braking hard in the corners, opting to brake prior to entering the corner, and accelerate out of the corner. That helps greatly with weight distribution and control.
Then there is the option of electric trailer brakes with hitch pressure control...
Sponsored

Siciliano

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang Convertible; 1986 Suzuki Jimny
Thought I'd share my Badlands with a Draw Tite tow bar. The trailer weighs around 1600 lbs. Been using a 4-pin connector and things have been good. Going to upgrade to a 7-pin with a Curt wireless brake controller.

Ford Bronco Sport It’s towing! Curt hitch installed and towing trailer 896179B3-2E9B-485B-8753-6331A3051D42

Ford Bronco Sport It’s towing! Curt hitch installed and towing trailer 21D9160C-33BE-4F2D-BA95-5BD1E54AA275_1_201_a
I just want to tow a mountain bike, are there any options that don't require cutting it up?

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
definitely cut it. The main reason I haven’t looked too much into a hitch. That cutout around the hitch looks terrible.
My dealer did a good job on my cutout. Guess you should check out their cutouts on other BS if you can.
Sponsored