Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I wouldn’t worry about the technical aspect of it. The system works. It’s that simple.

I guess I might have concerns if I lived in one of the crime-ridden cities, but I live in a small town.
I had a car stolen in a town that was so small you had to know what side of the street it was on! (the town, not the car)
Sponsored

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
When I bought my Badlands, the salesman was telling me I could lock my keys in the car if I was going to the gym, for example, and didn't want to take my purse and keys with me. He said I could use the code on the side to open it. This doesn't seem like the best idea to me. A thief could easily break a window and take off with my baby. Or would entering the vehicle without unlocking it disable it from starting?

I'm curious to know if anyone is actually doing this or what other use cases do you have for using the code to unlock? This would be a cool feature if I could feel confident that the risk is minimal.
Eh, I don't really agree with you, and your experience is anecdotal and entirely dependent on where your live, etc. A thief is a thief, and if they broke in to steal your stuff and realize they can steal the car, you're basically just giving them that option. Not only that but if they do decide to not steal your car, but they still steal the FOB, then what do you do? If there's paperwork with your address in the vehicle, now the thief knows where you park your car, they could sell the FOB and address to someone who DOES steal vehicles.

To me it's just an unnecessary risk. I see people in my neighborhood complaining about how their car was "broken into". Then you ask them, "How did they get in? Did they pop the lock? Did they break the window?" You wouldn't believe how many of them say, "I leave my car unlocked at night and park outside". I see it as inviting trouble, but then again I used to live in South Africa where some people resorted to putting flamethrowers on the sides of their vehicles to avoid theft, and if you drive down the wrong road, people throw bricks from an overpass to kill you and take everything you have.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eh, I don't really agree with you, and your experience is anecdotal and entirely dependent on where your live, etc. A thief is a thief, and if they broke in to steal your stuff and realize they can steal the car, you're basically just giving them that option. Not only that but if they do decide to not steal your car, but they still steal the FOB, then what do you do? If there's paperwork with your address in the vehicle, now the thief knows where you park your car, they could sell the FOB and address to someone who DOES steal vehicles.

To me it's just an unnecessary risk. I see people in my neighborhood complaining about how their car was "broken into". Then you ask them, "How did they get in? Did they pop the lock? Did they break the window?" You wouldn't believe how many of them say, "I leave my car unlocked at night and park outside". I see it as inviting trouble, but then again I used to live in South Africa where some people resorted to putting flamethrowers on the sides of their vehicles to avoid theft, and if you drive down the wrong road, people throw bricks from an overpass to kill you and take everything you have.
And, that explains why you "used to live in South Africa"?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I had a car stolen in a town that was so small you had to know what side of the street it was on! (the town, not the car)
Dang teenagers goin' for a joy ride...

BTW, me old Gaffer called them "poke and plum" towns. Because if you poke your head around the corner you're plum out of town.

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
I have a console vault, so I can actually lock up the fob if I wanted to leave it inside. What's the process for doing that so the vehicle doesn't refuse to lock when it senses a key inside?

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I have a console vault, so I can actually lock up the fob if I wanted to leave it inside. What's the process for doing that so the vehicle doesn't refuse to lock when it senses a key inside?
If you use the keypad to lock your BS it won’t care if the key is inside. In fact mine often locks itself if I walk away and leave the FOB on the console. Seems odd but there you go.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It is my understanding that generally, the system used by thieves actually records the code sent by the FOB when locking the car (someone standing close by).
Neighbor works for local SWAT...sold his dodge. They have a pad that takes seconds to pick up the code, no fob required according to him. The local dodge dealer had to hire additional security to patrol at night. Can't remember what it's called but it's pretty serious.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you use the keypad to lock your BS it won’t care if the key is inside. In fact mine often locks itself if I walk away and leave the FOB on the console. Seems odd but there you go.
I lock with MY fob with wifes fob inside. It still wont open unless I use fob or keypad.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I feel like it would be hard to get away with stealing a BS. Well the act itself seems pretty simple but as soon as you try to sell that engine cover...you are done.

Ford Bronco Sport Intentionally locking the keys in the car Screenshot_2022-05-10-20-20-31-07_f85a9dcae275ee1e0920d804e6924647

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
"According to reports from local media, the thieves target the most expensive vehicles around Stellatins’s plant in Sterling Heights and are doing this regularly for the past few months. The scenario is well familiar and comes straight from the Gone in 60 seconds movie. Only this time, instead of stealing the keys, the thieves use software to emulate the key fob signals and drive off the vehicles."
My son destroyed his key by accident. I bought a replacement off Amazon. Local key guy with no working fob, tapped in, reset the fob frequency just incase there was another fob out there (we bought it used) and bam...two new keys with a computer set to the new code in about ten minutes...taking his time to make sure they worked. And...it's a dodge.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've never used this feature but I guess that using the keypad in public and walking away from the car is like letting people know that you keep the FOB inside...
Is possible to lock the car with the cell phone using Ford Pass with FOB inside?

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
We've been using the keypad security code on our Mountaineer and Expedition for years. No problem at all. I'm sure I will use it on the BS as well. It's a great feature that I use whenever I'm out running by myself. I haven't looped the key through my shoelaces in a long, long time!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks everybody for the tips & tricks. I must try & experiment with this a bit more. What happens with 2 fobs on the go & leaving 1 in the car. How does it work to use the keypad to lock the keys in the car. The keypad is one of those things I can’t figure out why everybody else hasn’t copied yet. Everybody who’s had a Ford with one it seems loves it. I used it all the time on my F150. Of course it should be obvious, but don’t lock the fob in the car in a visible place.
Sponsored