How difficult is a Bank 1 O2 replacement?

Skraider

Big Bend
First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a bad O2 sensor (Bank 1) and cannot find any videos or pictures on if it’s difficult to access.

I have found the diagrams for the exhaust system but it doesn’t provide me much reference to see if anything is in the way for a repair.

Wanting to see if it’s something I can do or if I really need to take it in.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Skraider

Big Bend
First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What year? How do you know it's bad? No warranty left?
2021 - Throwing a P0420 code.

Not sure if it’s entirely bad but if it’s an easy swap I wanted to start there to see if it fixes the check engine light and code.

No warranty left for the O2 sensor but catalytic converter is still covered by the 8/80k.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I have replaced a few oxygen sensors on various cars but not the BS. Suggest that you get an oxygen sensor socket at Harbor Freight or other auto store. Those are helpful. To really check the oxygen sensor, you need to get a OBDII scanner that displays graphics on the operation of the sensor. Some cars have two oxygen sensors and it would be a shame to change out the wrong one. If you do not want to use the Ford part, get the OEM variety with the correct connector so that it just plugs into the same harness as the original. The others require crimping of the new oxygen sensor to the old connector. Also use a dab of anti-seize on the threads unless the part already has some.

Last edited:

beaudointl

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a bad O2 sensor (Bank 1) and cannot find any videos or pictures on if it’s difficult to access.

I have found the diagrams for the exhaust system but it doesn’t provide me much reference to see if anything is in the way for a repair.

That is a catalyst efficiency code which is usually indicated when sensor 2, after the converter, starts switching. It should be a relatively steady signal if the converter is working properly. Would be worth it, if possible, to have somebody with a scan tool that can graph sensor operation to check the signals coming from the sensors. If it is a converter issue, you certainly want to get that taken care of with warranty. Good luck, keep us posted.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4

I had my BB’s replaced under warranty last time. Took it in together with a recall, but dealer completed them in less than 2hrs.
Sponsored