Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
I think the intercooler is first in line. I think that's whats bent in the picture. Until you take it apart you won't see much. Check under the car for leaks, turn on the a/c, check coolant level. If the intercooler is damaged the engine will not run as it should, losing metered and pressurized air. I wouldn't sweat the grill shutters personally.
Sponsored

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I hit a Pronghorn back in May and really only saw the same as you, Active Grille Shutters but I also had the Adaptive Cruise light come on and say it wasn't working. Ended up taking it to collision shop as part of insurance claim and they showed me all the damage that was done behind the grille that you cant see. Radiator supports, 360+ unit (between the active shutters left & right.). Didnt think it was that bad until they took the front end off. My .02 is for you to get it checked out.

Edit: original estimate was approx $1800. Supplemental ended up being another $2500 on top of that.
Took it for another drive last night, no issues. No leaks in the driveway, ran A/C for duration of the drive. Nothing out of sorts. Dealer says he wouldn't worry but still recommended bringing it in to have it looked at.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I think the intercooler is first in line. I think that's whats bent in the picture. Until you take it apart you won't see much. Check under the car for leaks, turn on the a/c, check coolant level. If the intercooler is damaged the engine will not run as it should, losing metered and pressurized air. I wouldn't sweat the grill shutters personally.
No leaks, A/C ran fine, car was perfectly operational including temps were completely regulated. No additional warning lights. I think I might be in good shape TBH. Still will have it evaluated by dealer this week.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I hit a deer going 45 in my 2002 Dodge Stratus about 15 years ago. I thought all I'd done is busted the headlight; at that speed however, mechanic told me I had pretty much stripped all the gears out of my transmission. Thus that was the death that car. Definitely have a trusted mechanic go through your entire vehicle, not just where you think there could be damage. My transmission got me home that night. It did not get me to work the next day.

P.S. - Glad you are okay!
Luckily I took it out last night to go to a Super Bowl party, everything ran great the whole time. No leaks, let the car run and used A/C. Literally nothing out of the ordinary. Still will have it looked at!

Thank you!!!

CallMeBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Grey Badlands
Took it for another drive last night, no issues. No leaks in the driveway, ran A/C for duration of the drive. Nothing out of sorts. Dealer says he wouldn't worry but still recommended bringing it in to have it looked at.
Mine had no leaks as well and I was able to drive it back home over 500 miles after I hit it with no issues (other than no cruise control ). It wasnt until after they took off the front bumper did they find all the hidden damage. Def take it in to be looked at.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Mine had no leaks as well and I was able to drive it back home over 500 miles after I hit it with no issues (other than no cruise control ). It wasnt until after they took off the front bumper did they find all the hidden damage. Def take it in to be looked at.
Sheesh, I am just hoping I got lucky here. I think after this, I might be adding something to the front just to avoid this in the future. Live in PA, have been here my whole life. Deer have always been an issue but never directly. This is my first run in.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey everyone,

I was coming home last night on the interstate, went to pass a tractor-trailer on the right that was going 5 under the speed limit, was driving beside him, and saw a deer (who had been hit just a minute or so before I got there) laying in the fast line. I just shut my eyes and braced myself.

The car was fine; tough evening, but I got home and noticed there was minimal front-end damage. It looks like the only real issue here (right now) is the Active Grille Shutters on one side were completely destroyed. I can't tell by the picture, but I'm also a little worried about radiator damage. I had about 25 mins left on my drive when I hit the poor guy. I kept an eye on the temp gauges, and everything was okay; everything ran and sounded fine the rest of the way.

I have a 2021 Sport Big Bend. Here's the damage. I was wondering:

1) Is it necessary to take care of the Active Grille Shutters immediately?

2) Does anyone think there is additional damage here I should be worried about that goes beyond cosmetic and could affect overall performance and routine operation?

TIA.

Ford Bronco Sport Hit a deer: Looking for advice on damage IMG_0995
Hey everyone, wanted to give you all an update (if you're still following)!

Had it appraised at ~$1,600 by my dealer. I went thru insurance and they only offered $450 but needed to do a supplemental claim. It is being fixed currently and the total to fix everything was $1,900.

It needed a new front bumper, new reflectors on both sides, fog lamp assembly on both sides, support assembly, and new intercooler.

Thankful that I also got a Bronco Sport as my rental!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Can't wait to have Juice back.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hey everyone,

I was coming home last night on the interstate, went to pass a tractor-trailer on the right that was going 5 under the speed limit, was driving beside him, and saw a deer (who had been hit just a minute or so before I got there) laying in the fast line. I just shut my eyes and braced myself.

The car was fine; tough evening, but I got home and noticed there was minimal front-end damage. It looks like the only real issue here (right now) is the Active Grille Shutters on one side were completely destroyed. I can't tell by the picture, but I'm also a little worried about radiator damage. I had about 25 mins left on my drive when I hit the poor guy. I kept an eye on the temp gauges, and everything was okay; everything ran and sounded fine the rest of the way.

I have a 2021 Sport Big Bend. Here's the damage. I was wondering:

1) Is it necessary to take care of the Active Grille Shutters immediately?

2) Does anyone think there is additional damage here I should be worried about that goes beyond cosmetic and could affect overall performance and routine operation?

TIA.

Ford Bronco Sport Hit a deer: Looking for advice on damage IMG_0995
Make sure if there is any fur, blood etc, leave it on so your insurance adjuster sees it. My insurance company, GEICO, won't raise the premium if they confirm that you hit an animal.
Also, having lived in deer country (upstate NY) for many years hitting deer happened quite frequently. Some advice from experience. If a deer runs in front of your car, slow down if you can but hold onto the wheel and hit. Don't swerve. People who do swerve can run off the road, hit other cars or obstacles. A neighbor ran into a ditch and flipped his car. A high school student in our town hit a tree. He and his two passengers were killed. Stay safe.

Last edited:

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey everyone, wanted to give you all an update (if you're still following)!

Had it appraised at ~$1,600 by my dealer. I went thru insurance and they only offered $450 but needed to do a supplemental claim. It is being fixed currently and the total to fix everything was $1,900.

It needed a new front bumper, new reflectors on both sides, fog lamp assembly on both sides, support assembly, and new intercooler.

Thankful that I also got a Bronco Sport as my rental!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Can't wait to have Juice back.
You are lucky in more ways than one.

That is a very inexpensive repair bill.
Hopefully it will be good as new once completed.

You should also buy a Lotto ticket, lol.

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Our collision on Feb 9 that destroyed our CX-5 started out as a deer strike. We hit it at around 10mph, and it trashed the bumper, grill, forward collision sensors, condenser and a bunch of other stuff. $4000 CDN in front end damage alone.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
A lot of deer around here and that is why I have a nudge bar.
That nudge bar ain’t gonna be much help. That bar is more cosmetic than anything. The deer would have to be small and you not going very fast. Plus you will have to hit on the bar. And I don’t think the BS mount for it will stand up to the impact. You will have damage, and probably more than you think.

I have an F250 that I hit a deer with. Granted it was a very large doe. I was going 55. It broke all the plastic in the bumper and dented the right side metal out of shape and creased it in 4 places.

The repair estimate was 2500 bucks. My deductible is 500.

So it now sports a Ranch Hand legend bullnose bumper with a 4 inch intergraded schedule 40 pipe and welded diamond plate.

I’m not planning on hitting one again, but the bumper will prevent any damage other than entrails having to be washed off.

Check out the YouTube video about Ranch Hand. Sure I paid for It out of pocket, but now I have much more protection. And we have some very big deer, elk and antelope around here.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
You are lucky in more ways than one.

That is a very inexpensive repair bill.
Hopefully it will be good as new once completed.

You should also buy a Lotto ticket, lol.
Cannot disagree. Only have to pay $500 because of my insurance. I'll play a lotto ticket! Anything to get out of work tomorrow.

OP
OP
awhitebronco

awhitebronco

Big Bend
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Our collision on Feb 9 that destroyed our CX-5 started out as a deer strike. We hit it at around 10mph, and it trashed the bumper, grill, forward collision sensors, condenser and a bunch of other stuff. $4000 CDN in front end damage alone.
Sorry to hear that! I hit the one on the interstate at a minumum 60 MPH. I thought I was going airborne if I'm honest.
Sponsored