Help! BRONCO SPORT HESITATION IN REVERSE FOLLOWED BY SLAMMING INTO GEAR.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Bronco Sports are 4 wheel disc brakes
I know that. I didn't know about the parking brake, which seems to use the disc caliper (after additional research) Many vehicles with 4-wheel disc brakes use a drum brake integrated with the rotor for the parking brake. Cheers!
Sponsored

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Mines doing this worse now. If I go from reverse to drive there’s a good 2-3 second delay before it shifts and then won’t move when you apply throttle and then it’ll shift hard. Even just shifting while parked there is a pronounced delay for the trans to shift.
This happened today to me where I had to quick turn around and then wasn’t able to go forward even giving it throttle. It left me dead for a few seconds. Gave it throttle nothing, let of tapped the brake and then bang it shifted.
I was already in gear when it did this.

If I’m completely parked and shift there is a delay before shifting. You can turn the dial to drive and you do not get individual clicks/shifts setting your in feeling from trans.

So shift into gear and the light lights up the R/D marker. And then it’s still another 2 seconds before it actually engages. You have to physically wait for the clunk to go anywhere.

You ever see old people back out of a spot and takes them forever to shift into drive. That’s my BL all the time. Have 10k miles and trans feels like 150k.

But operating as intended per Ford’s fucks.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
I know this was with a 2020 Escape but I had something similar happen. Same symptoms. But what I noticed is sometimes the vehicle would set the e-brake when putting it in park. But I would have the hesitation backing up even when it didn’t

Turns out the vehicle thought it was on an incline even when it was level.

The dealer calibrated the sensor and my hesitation went away. I think it was a sensor associated with the anti lock brake system.

I’m not sure if this is the same issue you folks are seeing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoGuy80

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
For the OP, does the engine seem to bog down a little before slamming into gear? I know on my F250 with rear drum brakes, if I set the parking brake with wet pads, the pads will sometimes stick/freeze to the drums in cold weather. If/when the pads release when trying to back, it feels like the trans slammed into gear (when in fact it was in gear all along). Do the BS use a rear drum parking brake? I've actually had to get the heat gun out to thaw the drums so the wheel would release and roll! Just throwing stuff out there. Cheers!

I originally thought it was due to it being cold and the RPM's were higher vs a warm engine. Not the case, it did it no matter the temp or RPMs. Dealership checked fluids, etc. I ended up trading it in for something else.
Sponsored