Help! BRONCO SPORT HESITATION IN REVERSE FOLLOWED BY SLAMMING INTO GEAR.

BroncoGuy80

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Hello Everyone. Several weeks ago I put my Bronco Sport into reverse and it hesitated and then jumped into reverse. It has since done it weekly. It's a loud slam and jump, it will knock your foot off the brake. I took it to the dealership, they kept it all day, ran test and attempted to duplicate the issue, they found nothing. It's not parked on a hill during reverse. This issue does not happen in drive, only reverse. I do find if I let the car warm up for about 5 minutes, the issue seems not present itself as often but it could be merely coincidence. I called the ford customer service and they suggested a second opinion from a different Ford dealership. I have a 2021 base model Bronco Sport with 23,900 miles.

Has anyone else had this issue or have an idea what it might be?
Sponsored

Last edited:

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
My car started doing this just recently. I always use the e-brake to avoid putting tension on the transmission. It’s happened twice already where I’m backing out of my driveway and approx 30ft later it starts to hesitate in reverse to the point where the vehicle is almost completely stopped. I haven’t experienced it slamming into gear just yet maybe because I usually stop and put it into drive. 28k miles. Just one issue after another!! Wow.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Hello Everyone. Several weeks ago I put my Bronco Sport into reverse and it hesitated and then jumped into reverse. It has since done it weekly. It's a loud slam and jump, it will knock your foot off the brake. I took it to the dealership, they kept it all day, ran test and attempted to duplicate the issue, they found nothing. It's not parked on a hill during reverse. This issue does not happen in drive, only reverse. I do find if I let the car warm up for about 5 minutes, the issue seems not present itself as often but it could be merely coincidence. I called the ford customer service and they suggested a second opinion from a different Ford dealership. I have a 2021 base model Bronco Sport with 23,900 miles.

Maybe handbrake issues , back brakes may be sticking in reverse?

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Maybe handbrake issues , back brakes may be sticking in reverse?
That’s what I was thinking at first but then how do you explain slamming into gear?

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I’m talking about broncoguy80’s post. They mentioned their vehicle slamming into gear after experiencing hesitation.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m talking about broncoguy80’s post. They mentioned their vehicle slamming into gear after experiencing hesitation.
I am no help on that one.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/rpm-fluctuations.4933/

I posted this video a while back of my RPMs being jumpy when you lightly tap the throttle. Do you experience this as well? Maybes it’s related to this same issue who knows. Thanks.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
For the OP, does the engine seem to bog down a little before slamming into gear? I know on my F250 with rear drum brakes, if I set the parking brake with wet pads, the pads will sometimes stick/freeze to the drums in cold weather. If/when the pads release when trying to back, it feels like the trans slammed into gear (when in fact it was in gear all along). Do the BS use a rear drum parking brake? I've actually had to get the heat gun out to thaw the drums so the wheel would release and roll! Just throwing stuff out there. Cheers!

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
For the OP, does the engine seem to bog down a little before slamming into gear? I know on my F250 with rear drum brakes, if I set the parking brake with wet pads, the pads will sometimes stick/freeze to the drums in cold weather. If/when the pads release when trying to back, it feels like the trans slammed into gear (when in fact it was in gear all along). Do the BS use a rear drum parking brake? I've actually had to get the heat gun out to thaw the drums so the wheel would release and roll! Just throwing stuff out there. Cheers!
Bronco Sports are 4 wheel disc brakes

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
There’s a pronounced delay shifting between reverse and drive or the other way. And if you’re on an incline or decline even with foot on the brake there’s a bigger delay then the engagement clunk.
Is bad if you have to back into Street because it has that hesitation then clunk. Takes way to long to engage the gear.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
According to the Owner's Manual, to shift gears you should do the following:
  1. Fully press and hold the brake pedal when shifting out of park (P).
  2. Rotate the outer ring of the transmission selector clockwise from park (P), until the desired gear illuminates on the transmission selector.
  3. Release the brake pedal and the transmission remains in the selected gear.
For those experiencing these issues, have you looked at the selector to make sure the selected gear is illuminated before stepping on the accelerator pedal?

@21Broncosaurus , can you provide details about your hesitation? Hesitation can mean the engine is not producing power, the transmission is not transferring power to the wheels, or something else is causing the car to slow down. Is the car slowing or not responding while you are stepping on the accelerator? If so, is the RPM changing? If the car doesn't accelerate when you step on the pedal but you can hear the RPM increasing then your transmission is slipping. If the car doesn't accelerate when you step on the pedal and the RPM isn't changing then it's most likely not the transmission. I would suspect either the engine isn't responding to the pedal or something else such as the parking brake is preventing the car from accelerating.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  2. Rotate the outer ring of the transmission selector clockwise from park (P), until the desired gear illuminates on the transmission selector.
For those experiencing these issues, have you looked at the selector to make sure the selected gear is illuminated before stepping on the accelerator pedal?

@21Broncosaurus , can you provide details about your hesitation? Hesitation can mean the engine is not producing power, the transmission is not transferring power to the wheels, or something else is causing the car to slow down. Is the car slowing or not responding while you are stepping on the accelerator? If so, is the RPM changing? If the car doesn't accelerate when you step on the pedal but you can hear the RPM increasing then your transmission is slipping. If the car doesn't accelerate when you step on the pedal and the RPM isn't changing then it's most likely not the transmission. I would suspect either the engine isn't responding to the pedal or something else such as the parking brake is preventing the car from accelerating.
I would also check to make sure that your auto shut off is disconnected , just a thought as I read your post .

Ford Bronco Sport Help! BRONCO SPORT HESITATION IN REVERSE FOLLOWED BY SLAMMING INTO GEAR. AD8EF107-AFD8-4EE5-9DA9-1DE4C33D2D3F

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

When the issue occurs the engine does not bog down. It’s still in gear and still producing power. The vehicle slows down as if I was holding onto the brake and accelerating at the same time. The vehicle just doesn’t want to move without giving it more throttle. Next time it occurs I’ll have to play with the brake pedal and e-brake to make sure that isn’t the culprit.
Sponsored

Last edited: