Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I'm not that tall, but I sit just high enough that if I put the visor down it blocks a significant part of my vision. I can't see traffic lights at all.

With it up, there is so much windshield above my vision area that I'm blinded by the glare. Am I alone on this?

Has anyone tinted about the top 3-4" of the windshield? How?

Does it look okay? I'd love to see photos.

Tom
Sponsored

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
No, my wife hates that the sun visor doesn't go all the way to the windshield when you swing it down like her 99 Explorer did. She has the seat in the highest setting & has a problem when driving into the sun. Let us know if you do anything & how it works out.

enjuhner357

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS OB
Depending on your state of residence, you may be able to legally install tint down to the AS1 line. I would place safety above aesthetics and do it tastefully. Match the front driver and passenger side windows to factory and the top portion down to the AS1 line (pending legality).

I will add that some states have permissible tint percentage laws and will check during annual inspection. North Carolina is that way. Virginia is not. I have only been pulled once living in VA for a decade because of my tint on that vehicle, 30% with black cloth interior; VA legal is 50%. Cop let me go after realizing I was not running drugs on I-95. Guess they were profiling similar vehicles.

One way around tint laws is, or used to be, a doctor's note citing medical reasons that your eyes are sensitive to direct sunlight. A few of my friends with glasses were able to work this and legally were able to get 5%. Too dark and potentially dangerous in my opinion, but they thought it looked "cool."

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/02/how-dark-are-you-allowed-to-tint-your-front-windshield/

Edit, based on your profile info:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ybovsth4iugyabqzmyetzikd))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-709

https://www.criminaldefenselawcenterwestmichigan.com/michigan-window-tinting-law/

Last edited:

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
You can adjust the seat vertically up and down to get the right height to where you want your line of sight to be. Also the visors don't have to be flipped ALL the way down...flip them halfway down if it is blocking too much.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Depending on your state of residence, you may be able to legally install tint down to the AS1 line. I would place safety above aesthetics and do it tastefully. Match the front driver and passenger side windows to factory and the top portion down to the AS1 line (pending legality).

I will add that some states have permissible tint percentage laws and will check during annual inspection. North Carolina is that way. Virginia is not. I have only been pulled once living in VA for a decade because of my tint on that vehicle, 30% with black cloth interior; VA legal is 50%. Cop let me go after realizing I was not running drugs on I-95. Guess they were profiling similar vehicles.

One way around tint laws is, or used to be, a doctor's note citing medical reasons that your eyes are sensitive to direct sunlight. A few of my friends with glasses were able to work this and legally were able to get 5%. Too dark and potentially dangerous in my opinion, but they thought it looked "cool."

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/02/how-dark-are-you-allowed-to-tint-your-front-windshield/

Edit, based on your profile info:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ybovsth4iugyabqzmyetzikd))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-709

https://www.criminaldefenselawcenterwestmichigan.com/michigan-window-tinting-law/
I have a sunstrip and it goes below the AS1 line. Didn't notice it went lower until I went to wash the car a few weeks after getting it installed. Was wondering if it would be an issue come inspection time.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a sunstrip and it goes below the AS1 line. Didn't notice it went lower until I went to wash the car a few weeks after getting it installed. Was wondering if it would be an issue come inspection time.
Picture please

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
What is the AS1 line? Never mind, I just did a Google search & found out.

Reactions: MJE

enjuhner357

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS OB
You probably shouldn't have any trouble. Others have told me they will slip their inspectors a few crips bill$ to slide them through on things that would typically fail the vehicle.

on a similar inspection topic, certain counties and municipalities in Virginia check emissions, where others do not. I think Caroline County is one of those that does not care; Fairfax definitely cares and sets up emission measuring equipment on the roads where you almost cannot avoid once you've committed to that direction/roadway, i.e. interstate on-ramps. They present it as a convenient drive through option...more easy to catch offenders in my opinion.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
You probably shouldn't have any trouble. Others have told me they will slip their inspectors a few crips bill$ to slide them through on things that would typically fail the vehicle.

on a similar inspection topic, certain counties and municipalities in Virginia check emissions, where others do not. I think Caroline County is one of those that does not care; Fairfax definitely cares and sets up emission measuring equipment on the roads where you almost cannot avoid once you've committed to that direction/roadway, i.e. interstate on-ramps. They present it as a convenient drive through option...more easy to catch offenders in my opinion.
My last car was bought new from a dealer in MD, so I had to take it to get inspected once my tags were transferred. Took it to a local shop, less than 5 minutes after I gave them the key they told me they were done. I don't think they actually inspected anything, but saw it was a brand new car and just checked all the boxes. I'll be taking my BS there when it's due next month :D

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
No, my wife hates that the sun visor doesn't go all the way to the windshield when you swing it down like her 99 Explorer did. She has the seat in the highest setting & has a problem when driving into the sun. Let us know if you do anything & how it works out.
I have a small black pillow I set on the dash when driving into the sun. I can reach it so I move it a little as my compass heading changes. That and my polarized on both sides of the lenses sun glasses work for me.
It only happens now and then.
Sponsored