Forest Service Maverick (And other Ford Fleet options)

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I just chatted with my Forest's fleet manager who spent some time at our District office today. Turns out, Ford dominated our fleet orders this fiscal year because they have the most competitively priced vehicles. He showed up in this:
Ford Bronco Sport Forest Service Maverick (And other Ford Fleet options) 20220804_112139

Ford Bronco Sport Forest Service Maverick (And other Ford Fleet options) 20220804_112942

He also told me before he left that another individual on our Forest has a full size Bronco on order, and we can also order Sports. Ford cuts us a killer deal price-wise (our Forest paid 21k for this Maverick XLT Hybrid) and fleet vehicles are coded with a special priority which moves them to the front half of the build line. My Forest Service truck is due for a replacement this year...got my gears turning. šŸ˜‰
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I just chatted with my Forest's fleet manager who spent some time at our District office today. Turns out, Ford dominated our fleet orders this fiscal year because they have the most competitively priced vehicles. He showed up in this:
Ford Bronco Sport Forest Service Maverick (And other Ford Fleet options) 20220804_112139

Ford Bronco Sport Forest Service Maverick (And other Ford Fleet options) 20220804_112942

He also told me before he left that another individual on our Forest has a full size Bronco on order, and we can also order Sports. Ford cuts us a killer deal price-wise (our Forest paid 21k for this Maverick XLT Hybrid) and fleet vehicles are coded with a special priority which moves them to the front half of the build line. My Forest Service truck is due for a replacement this year...got my gears turning. šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m thinking full size for sure except that pushes me one more back!

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Washington State Parks has some Mavericks. I saw one at Ocean Shores on one of my trips.
Also, I enjoyed the hospitality of the Forest Service while backpacking in Olympic National Forest this week. Maybe it's the weight loss and improved health, or maybe it's the Bronco, but I'm actually using my Bronco for its designed purpose.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Washington State Parks has some Mavericks. I saw one at Ocean Shores on one of my trips.
Also, I enjoyed the hospitality of the Forest Service while backpacking in Olympic National Forest this week. Maybe it's the weight loss and improved health, or maybe it's the Bronco, but I'm actually using my Bronco for its designed purpose.
Probably both. Iā€™m not quite so adventurous to go backpacking, but day hikes certainly. So I havenā€™t taken the Bronco anywhere a Subaru would fear to tread, but still, thereā€™s lots of adventure to be had with the Sport even on the beaten path.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably both. Iā€™m not quite so adventurous to go backpacking, but day hikes certainly. So I havenā€™t taken the Bronco anywhere a Subaru would fear to tread, but still, thereā€™s lots of adventure to be had with the Sport even on the beaten path.
This was the first backpacking trip (simple 3 mile overnighter) in over 25 years. I'm behaving like the person I want to be, and I think the Bronco is part of it. Tomorrow I may bag ass early from work, head into the Olympics, and get a few miles under my feet.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
This was the first backpacking trip (simple 3 mile overnighter) in over 25 years. I'm behaving like the person I want to be, and I think the Bronco is part of it. Tomorrow I may bag ass early from work, head into the Olympics, and get a few miles under my feet.
That sounds like a great way to start the weekend! Yes, incredible isnā€™t it, what a profound impact a vehicle can have on our lives. Nothing holding you back from going before (unless some trailheads were on unimproved roads) but now you have a desire to get out & explore. Iā€™m working on this too. I expected to get out a lot more with the Bronco & go/do/see more places, but still early yet to prove that out for me.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Anyone know if the Forest Service still buys new rigs in that lovely "puke green," or have they switched over to white?

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know if the Forest Service still buys new rigs in that lovely "puke green," or have they switched over to white?
We only buy in white now. Green vehicles would resell for less $$ when they were decommissioned and sent to auction. That's the only reason we switched to white.

I really miss the puke green. Made us easier to identify.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We only buy in white now. Green vehicles would resell for less $$ when they were decommissioned and sent to auction. That's the only reason we switched to white.

Does the FS buy vehicles or get them from GSA like other agencies?

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the FS buy vehicles or get them from GSA like other agencies?
Mix of both. Getting them from other agencies/other forests are called "holdovers." They're meant to be a placeholder vehicle until we can get the newest model in to replace them. GSA also has a leasing program kind of like renting a vehicle, but that option is expensive and almost exclusively used for fire and emergency services.

We generally buy as soon as we predict a need, like hiring a new position or as the mileage on a vehicle gets close to requiring a replacement. It's an art form which is why each forest has a fleet manager. Orders are placed through GSA then sent to the manufacturer.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mix of both. Getting them from other agencies/other forests are called "holdovers." They're meant to be a placeholder vehicle until we can get the newest model in to replace them. GSA also has a leasing program kind of like renting a vehicle, but that option is expensive and almost exclusively used for fire and emergency services.

We generally buy as soon as we predict a need, like hiring a new position or as the mileage on a vehicle gets close to requiring a replacement. It's an art form which is why each forest has a fleet manager. Orders are placed through GSA then sent to the manufacturer.
That's way more complex than the Navy. We buy a few things like cranes and motorhomes because of treaty requirements (can't let GSA foul up meeting our obligations), but all of our normal vehicles are GSA plates.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands

Ah, that explains it. I worked for the USFS many years ago during what must have been the puke green -> white switchover. My team ordered a new F-150, my boss expected it to be white. A puke green F-150 shows up, which was fantastic because my boss absolutely hated that color. :crackup:

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, that explains it. I worked for the USFS many years ago during what must have been the puke green -> white switchover. My team ordered a new F-150, my boss expected it to be white. A puke green F-150 shows up, which was fantastic because my boss absolutely hated that color. :crackup:
I live in a small town and you'll occasionally see a handful of puke green vehicles bopping around town. The legacy is still alive and well. It's just not me driving one.

What did you do for the agency? Glad you got to experience the puke green trucks while you were in.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
What did you do for the agency? Glad you got to experience the puke green trucks while you were in.
Temp work, everything from helping the range management program to cleaning up trails to field mapping. Was a fun few years, the puke green F-150 served us well. Best work truck dollar for dollar then and now.
Sponsored