Dperry285

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco sport
I just received my 23 obx and was wondering does eco mode actually help your mpg, what does it do change transmission shift points?
Sponsored

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
IIRC, that's exactly what it does.

I don't use it as my mileage is fine with me. I looked at it today and the dash said 29.6 MPG and a little over 200 miles on this tankful. It's about 60% town and 40% freeway driving.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The idea is to reduce throttle response and shift sooner to keep the engine revā€™s down and hopefully improve your gas milage. People have posted various results. I keep mine in normal mode normally! šŸ˜Ž

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have been trying out eco mode this week and I dont think its as good as normal around town. On the highway it keeps it in high gear a lot more so it probably will help highway miles per.......

Scott_Anderson_

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Cactus Gray
Iā€™ve been trying to figure this out myself. Iā€™ve been averaging 24.9 mpg driving in eco mode, but itā€™s also 100% city driving, commuting to and from work in hilly areas.

There is a bit of lag in eco mode, but I notice it far less with 91 Octane. Thatā€™s a completely different discussion, though.

Iā€™m still really new to the game. Havenā€™t owned my badlands for even a month. Iā€™m curious to hear what you find in your case. Keep us posted!

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I drive in eco mode when driving on the highway to work every day. I think there might be a small increase in gas mileage by decreasing the sensitivity of the gas pedal and by shifting to a higher gear sooner. I'll range between 29 to 31 MPG.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Unless you are constantly accelerating/decelerating on the highway, ECO mode will not provide any improvement in fuel economy. It's primary use is around town, where you are constantly stopping and going. The amount of energy required to accelerate mass is directly related to the force of acceleration applied. The more rapidly you accelerate--think shorter 0-60 times--the more fuel you will use to do it. That's why ECO mode's primary strategy to improve economy is a reduction in throttle response. In ECO mode you will accelerate at a much more leisurely pace than in NORMAL mode, unless, of course, you step harder on the accelerator pedal. In addition, the transmission upshifts at a lower RPM, because the engine burns less fuel at lower RPM.

On the highway you are cruising along at a relatively constant speed with the transmission already in the highest gear, providing little opportunity for ECO mode to do its thing. If your highway driving includes a lot of two-lane roads with frequent passing you MAY see some gains with ECO mode. But generally speaking, if you are accelerating to pass you are demanding max, or close to max power (pedal close to the floor), and ECO mode cannot improve economy it that situation.

Unfortunately, the reduced throttle response and early upshifts the enable ECO mode to improve economy around town results in lackadaisical acceleration that many are unwilling to endure.

Bassfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
So, yes and no..it does help on the highway..but be mindful. If your in hilly country..not going to help much..and cause very lazy throttle.

fog53

Big Bend
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Only time I use ECO is highway speed with speed control, not sure if it helps or not, never compared a cross county trip using it as opposed to not using it.

Renee Soss

Outer Banks
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
A lot of city type driving. Always use ECO mode. I know accelerating hard eats up fuel. I am slow to accelerate and when I see stopped traffic (red light), I just let off the accelerator and let it "roll in". I love my BS OBX Cyber Orange!

Ford Bronco Sport Eco mode 20230222_091548

CyberSparky

Outer Banks
First Name
Delone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 1995 Ford Bronco, 1981 Ford Bro
A lot of city type driving. Always use ECO mode. I know accelerating hard eats up fuel. I am slow to accelerate and when I see stopped traffic (red light), I just let off the accelerator and let it "roll in". I love my BS OBX Cyber Orange!

Ford Bronco Sport Eco mode 20230222_091548
Wow, yours shows 470m to E on a full tank? Best mine shows is 310m to E with a full tank of 91. I just hit 13k miles though. Maybe that's why? I do remember it was alot more optimistic about fuel range earlier in it's life.

WunWun

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm getting about 29mpg, local and highway, on my Big Bend. Same engine. Never used Eco since I am perfect happy with my mileage and performance.
I have to ask how so many people are getting that high of gas mileage. I have a Badlands and I know my engine is a bit bigger, but I am still at 19 mpg. I reset the mpg when I purchased the vehicle, but have not been able to break 20 yet. Any suggestions?

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Nah, eco-mode allows the speed to drop too much on the highway before downshifting. Our 1.5l 3-Squirrel protests too heavily when lugged, so it stays in Normal until things get slippery.

Renee Soss

Outer Banks
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Nah, eco-mode allows the speed to drop too much on the highway before downshifting. Our 1.5l 3-Squirrel protests too heavily when lugged, so it stays in Normal until things get slippery.
When I get on interstate 75, I put the cruise control on at 80 mph. Only stop to get gas or bathroom. About 600 miles between St. Petersburg area to Franklin, NC. I get about 27 mph ECO mode. Does well keeping set cruise control (unlike my Jeep Renegade and it drove me nuts; would set cruise at 82 mph to keep it about 80/81 mph.) I have the 3 cylinder / 1.5 litter engine. Good enough for me.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl