Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I was wondering about disconnecting the battery when installing the Pedal Max!!I got it today and the instructions say to disconnect the positive battery cable and now after reading what you posted!! I'll make sure i do that when i install mine thanks for the information!!
Always disconnect the neg cable first!! Not sure why they said to POS cable
Sponsored

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Not sure i read the instructions again and it does say disconnect positive cable!! So you only disconnected the neg cable or both?
I just always disconnect the Neg cable first, it's what they (used to) teach in fire training for motor vehicle accidents

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I just always disconnect the Neg cable first, it's what they (used to) teach in fire training for motor vehicle accidents
Thanks for the tip on removing the Negative Cable i did that Monday when i installed the Pedal Max!!And i didn't loose any presets on the Stereo and the time on the clock stayed right!!And i didn't have any unwanted Lights Come on on the dash Win Win!!

ChuckG

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I had the same thing happen this week to my 2022 Outer Banks with about 11,000 miles. Car would not start. The shifter dial was flashing on P. The brake felt like something was stopping me from pressing it when I tried to start. The dash was cycling through every error messages. Could not shut off the electronics and couldn't get a Ford Servce Advisor who would talk to me. Finally pulled the battery cable off. Fortunate to be in my driveway when this happened. Had just returned from a short errand. Will carry a 1/2 inch socket in the car from now on.

Has Ford found a solution to this issue? The local Ford service shop has not returned any of my calls - even to the manager. I now call them the Ford No-Service Shop.

Afraid to let my wife drive the car now.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I had the same thing happen this week to my 2022 Outer Banks with about 11,000 miles.. The shifter dial was flashing on P. The brake felt like something was stopping me from pressing it when I tried to start. The dash was cycling through every error messages. Could not shut off the electronics and couldn't get a Ford Servce Advisor who would talk to me. Finally pulled the battery cable off. Fortunate to be in my driveway when this happened. Will carry a 1/2 inch socket in the car from now on.

Has Ford found a solution to this issue? The local Ford service shop has not returned any of my calls - even to the manager. I now call them the Ford No-Service Shop.

Afraid to let my wife drive the car now.
I had something that sounds similar. The braking was very unpredictable and hard to operate, it was basically a death trap to drive. The dash cycled through about 5 error messages every time I started it. Got it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the brake master cylinder module. It was under warranty and has been 100% since they fixed it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There's always the chance you will get a small spark when disconnecting either battery cable--that's not what you're worried about. The main reason you disconnect the negative first is because most cars use a negative ground. That is, the negative terminal is connected directly to the vehicle frame. You can touch a wrench to the negative terminal and any metal part of the vehicle at the same time with no danger, because they are already connected by the battery cable. If, however, the negative terminal is connected to the battery you can generate a MASSIVE spark--due to short circuit--if your wrench slips and accidentally touches the positive terminal and any metal part of the vehicle at the same time. If you disconnect the negative terminal first you eliminate the chance of an accidental short circuit.
Sponsored