canfig

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Left Target store today and turned on my seat heater as it was cool, damp and raining. Stopped at intersection and dash lights went dim intermittently but several times. No problems though at highway speeds. 2021 BS, Outerbanks with only 3500 miles on it. Can it be an alternator issue or possibly the battery if anyone has experienced this.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Left Target store today and turned on my seat heater as it was cool, damp and raining. Stopped at intersection and dash lights went dim intermittently but several times. No problems though at highway speeds. 2021 BS, Outerbanks with only 3500 miles on it. Can it be an alternator issue or possibly the battery if anyone has experienced this.
I think you are on the right track, but I can’t say for sure it is one or the other. Quite a few people have had weak batteries and they have been replaced. Given your mileage and the age of the vehicle, I’m thinking you don’t drive it very often or very far when you do. I’m at 2500 miles in just under 3 months. That could mean your battery is not getting charged on your short trips and/or long time between drives. I think you either should go for a long drive or put a battery tender on it occasionally to charge the battery. The electronics are very sensitive to low voltage.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I have not seen this but I drive 12 miles each way everyday so it seems my battery is very happy at this point. I agree with Eric, there have been many cases where the battery was an issue leading to other electronic anomalies.

Davewied

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I noticed two times when driving in rain that the lights on just the instrument cluster would dim. The stereo screen did not. I did not have the seat warmer on but did have the wipers on. I have not been able to replicate it.
Tested the battery and charging sys and all was ok. I use mine for work. Just under a month old and 5k on it.
I will update if it happens again and can find a cause.

OP
OP

canfig

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I think you are on the right track, but I can’t say for sure it is one or the other. Quite a few people have had weak batteries and they have been replaced. Given your mileage and the age of the vehicle, I’m thinking you don’t drive it very often or very far when you do. I’m at 2500 miles in just under 3 months. That could mean your battery is not getting charged on your short trips and/or long time between drives. I think you either should go for a long drive or put a battery tender on it occasionally to charge the battery. The electronics are very sensitive to low voltage.
Thanks, I never thought of that given it is a new car at least mileage wise. I think I will call the dealer and see if I can get it in for service. Traded my 2018 Ford Explorer with only 8000 miles on it and really never had the same issue with that car. Thanks again Meanderthal . Chuck

OP
OP

canfig

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I noticed two times when driving in rain that the lights on just the instrument cluster would dim. The stereo screen did not. I did not have the seat warmer on but did have the wipers on. I have not been able to replicate it.
Tested the battery and charging sys and all was ok. I use mine for work. Just under a month old and 5k on it.
I will update if it happens again and can find a cause.
Yeah, have had mine for a year and first time I have noticed it. I had, lights on, both seat heaters on, wipers and radio. on. Stormy weather coming tonight so I am going to try it again and see what happens. Hopefully nothing. Thank you Dave.. Chuck

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Thanks, I never thought of that given it is a new car at least mileage wise. I think I will call the dealer and see if I can get it in for service. Traded my 2018 Ford Explorer with only 8000 miles on it and really never had the same issue with that car. Thanks again Meanderthal . Chuck
Given how little you drive your vehicles, I would invest in a battery tender. You should also remember that oil changes also have a time interval (5000 miles or 1 year). If you drive so little and trade-in every 3-4 years, you could be a very good candidate for leasing a vehicle too.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Not sure if this was mentioned, I didn't see anything at first glance, but if your light switch it set to auto. Depending on time of day and conditions, and if you have your wipers on, your headlights will turn on dimming the Dash lights. Since it was a cold damp rainy day. It is a perfect time for the dashboard to dim when those headlights come on and its just dark enough.

I've noticed this rarely, but my headlights will turn on and off from time to time on cloudy days and just seems like I'm flashing people haha.

OP
OP

canfig

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Not sure if this was mentioned, I didn't see anything at first glance, but if your light switch it set to auto. Depending on time of day and conditions, and if you have your wipers on, your headlights will turn on dimming the Dash lights. Since it was a cold damp rainy day. It is a perfect time for the dashboard to dim when those headlights come on and its just dark enough.

I've noticed this rarely, but my headlights will turn on and off from time to time on cloudy days and just seems like I'm flashing people haha.
Yup, headlights are on auto. Lights were on I believe. Good thought. Thanks

altoblue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
that's not a problem, the heated seats draw a lot of power so when your sitting at an idle the power being sent to the seat heater will make other lights dim. when you're driving youre bringing the rpms up higher which is allowing more power to everything. i know this isnt the most technical explanation but someone can go farther into detail im sure.

OP
OP

canfig

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
that's not a problem, the heated seats draw a lot of power so when your sitting at an idle the power being sent to the seat heater will make other lights dim. when you're driving youre bringing the rpms up higher which is allowing more power to everything. i know this isnt the most technical explanation but someone can go farther into detail im sure.
Thank you. Makes sense, seat heaters must draw a lot of current.
Sponsored