Michael S

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am looking at Yakima Timberline towers to install some crossbars (model TBD) on my BS.
Primary purpose is to support my homemade fishing kayak rack (more about that below).
Does anyone know if the crossbars must be installed on the center portion of the factory roof rails (see green circled area on attached photo), or is it possible to secure the towers to the two end portions of the factory roof rails (see orange circled area on attached photo)?
The kayak is a Perception Outlaw 11.5 (11'-6" long and about 80 lbs). The bottom is tri-hull design (three V-hulls and two tunnels) , such that the center V-hull is deeper than the other two. This hull design means the kayak cannot sit flat on a more or less flat rail. Hence the custom design of the kayak rack which has two carpeted rails which support the kayak in the two hull tunnels.
I built the custom rack to mount onto the factory crossbars of my mini-van. The crossbars are spaced at the maximum dimension of 54" oc.
If I mount the crossbars on the BS only within the center portion of the roof rails, the maximum spacing is about 36". This seems too small a dimension for an 11'-6" long kayak for my liking.
If I can mount the crossbars on the two end supports of the roof rails, I can get the crossbars about 50" apart. This feels more stable to me.

Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 20220101_104533

Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 20210806_095021

Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 20210806_192820

Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails BK
Sponsored

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have the Timberline towers and used them to mount my RTT. I've mounted the towers to the back end portion of the rails before, but I'm not a fan. Those end portions have plastic cladding (two pieces). When you tighten down the tower straps, they compress the plastic cladding pieces and force one piece to pop over the other piece where they meet.

Is it secure? Yeah, in my one experience it was. But I didn't like squishing the plastic. I'm concerned about damage or permanent deformation.

OP
OP

Michael S

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have the Timberline towers and used them to mount my RTT. I've mounted the towers to the back end portion of the rails before, but I'm not a fan. Those end portions have plastic cladding (two pieces). When you tighten down the tower straps, they compress the plastic cladding pieces and force one piece to pop over the other piece where they meet.

Is it secure? Yeah, in my one experience it was. But I didn't like squishing the plastic. I'm concerned about damage or permanent deformation.
I figured someone out there must have tried this. Looks like your experience is what I was afraid of.
I'll have to get the crossbars installed 36" apart and see how the kayak center of gravity matches up.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP

Michael S

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Maybe you can try this product. The product is well made and sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J153VQR
Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 81GNESd+nrL
Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 81hnhXtp1JL
Maybe you can try this product. The product is well made and sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J153VQR
Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 81GNESd+nrL
Ford Bronco Sport Crossbar attachment to factory roof rails 81hnhXtp1JL
That seems like a decent price. My only isdue is the crossbar locations are limited to the locations with the slots under the rails. In order to maximize the distance between crossbars for long loads such as my kaysk, an option such as the Timberline towers iscrequired

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
That seems like a decent price. My only isdue is the crossbar locations are limited to the locations with the slots under the rails. In order to maximize the distance between crossbars for long loads such as my kaysk, an option such as the Timberline towers iscrequired
Not really. For a couple bucks more you can get the OEM crossbars instead of that Chinese/Amazon-special knock-offs.

Wait ...those look exactly like the OEM crossbars!

Last edited:

Bruce Fisher

Badlands
First Name
Fisher
Threads
Reaction score
208 Paynes Landing Blvd Georgetown KY 40324
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Not really. For a couple bucks more you can get the OEM crossbars instead of that Chinese/Amazon-special knock-offs.

Wait ...those look exactly like the OEM crossbars!
However the OEM costs close to $300, which is almost $100 more than this product.From the point of view of my use, it is enough for me to carry luggage, bicycles, etc. in daily travel. Fit perfectly and works great on my Bronco Sport. And It was fairly easy to install.

Last edited:

Bruce Fisher

Badlands
First Name
Fisher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
But the OEM crossbar has a similar problem and can't meet the needs of adjustment. It's only accessible through the grooves under the luggage rack, and if I need to mount it on a kayak later, I might consider getting a kayak stand.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
However the OEM costs close to $300, which is almost $100 more than this product.From the point of view of my use, it is enough for me to carry luggage, bicycles, etc. in daily travel. Fit perfectly and works great on my Bronco Sport. And It was fairly easy to install.
If it works for you then great.

I only mentioned it as I've seen the factory crossbars dip to around $250 through various sites (i.e. TascaParts, FordOEMParts, etc ...) and me PERSONALLY, i'd rather pay $50 more for an OEM part than save the $50 and get what could be a Chinese/Amazon dud.

Bruce Fisher

Badlands
First Name
Fisher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
If it works for you then great.

I only mentioned it as I've seen the factory crossbars dip to around $250 through various sites (i.e. TascaParts, FordOEMParts, etc ...) and me PERSONALLY, i'd rather pay $50 more for an OEM part than save the $50 and get what could be a Chinese/Amazon dud.
Everyone's opinion is different, so I just want to share with the owners of bronco sport.
Sponsored