Comparison between Crosstrek, Sport, and Cherokee

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So Ive been cross shopping the Cherokee Trailhawk..... and I like it.

Not sure what to do.
Which one do you think you'll end up getting? I've also been looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk. The pricing is really good and they have a lot of models in stock.
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I am starting to cross-shop a bit too, but I'm not comparing Trailhawk to Badlands, as I don't need that level of capability. My comparisons are Latitude Lux V6 4WD vs. a Bronco Sport Big Bend.

I really do like the Bronco Sport, it is the boxy 1st/2nd gen Escape replacement that I was hoping and waiting for. I just cannot seem to get past the engine selection for the lower trim levels. Unlike most, my concern has nothing to do with power, except maybe the towing capacity. For normal driving, it has plenty for what I need.
Ford has had plenty of issues with Eco-boost engines. I could risk that with the 2.0L, but on top of that is the 1.5's wet timing belt. If you really deep-dive and research it, you would likely find it concerning as well. And it does have a bit of other weirdness, which I could likely get past, but maybe not. Some 1.5 owners on here have blown off longevity concerns by saying they will trade it off before anything becomes an issue, but I keep my vehicles longer than most.

So, I started looking at the Cherokee V6 Latitude Lux. For similar money I get a naturally-aspirated V6, which I feel better about. I get heated leather seats and steering wheel, HD Radio, a tow package with 4500 pound capacity and quite a bit more compared to the Badlands.

Like I said, there is a lot I like about the Bronco more, especially the appearance.
But there are concerns and limitations that may force me to the Jeep.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
One big thing I'd miss on the Cherokee is the flip up glass on the tail gate.... :(
And yeah the BS definitely wins in the looks department.
BS 2.0 L has more torque compared to the Lat v6 .... and tow hooks on BL trim
But Lat has more towing capacity
One big PLUS on lat is that I can AVOID the moonroof. (on BS BL you're stuck with it)

I must admit that the Latitude Lux does seem to offer more for the money....

I just built one with the 3.2L and damn it's cheaper than the BS BL/BL - i can see the appeal.

... I just don't know if I can give up the flip upback glass (I own a 2nd gen Escape and i am REALLY used to it and like it...)

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
One big thing I'd miss on the Cherokee is the flip up glass on the tail gate.... :(

... I just don't know if I can give up the flip upback glass (I own a 2nd gen Escape and i am REALLY used to it and like it...)
Yeah, I know about the rear flip glass. I bemoaned the loss of that feature for years on Escape Central and Escape City.
If I were on the Badlands path, then sure, no brainer. I could be happy with the 2.0L. For that matter, I would have gone Outer Banks if it had the 2.0, but I just don't see paying mid-thirties for what is a very low-cost (to manufacture) engine with long-term ownership concerns (at least to me).

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I know about the rear flip glass. I bemoaned the loss of that feature for years on Escape Central and Escape City.
If I were on the Badlands path, then sure, no brainer. I could be happy with the 2.0L. For that matter, I would have gone Outer Banks if it had the 2.0, but I just don't see paying mid-thirties for what is a very low-cost (to manufacture) engine with long-term ownership concerns (at least to me).
So is it the 2L engine issues you're mainly worried about when considering the BL trim?
I wonder if the 2L would be offered in lower trims in the next model year..... might be worth the wait to check.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I was never considering the Compass, I think that the Cherokee is matched better to the Sport than the Compass, both in cost, size, appointments, and capability (except for towing).

The Compass is a lower-tier vehicle.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was never considering the Compass, I think that the Cherokee is matched better to the Sport than the Compass, both in cost, size, appointments, and capability (except for towing).

The Compass is a lower-tier vehicle.
Exactly - IMO, the Cherokee TH is the direct competitor to a B/S BL.
No clue why MT compared the Compass.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I am starting to cross-shop a bit too, but I'm not comparing Trailhawk to Badlands, as I don't need that level of capability. My comparisons are Latitude Lux V6 4WD vs. a Bronco Sport Big Bend.

I really do like the Bronco Sport, it is the boxy 1st/2nd gen Escape replacement that I was hoping and waiting for. I just cannot seem to get past the engine selection for the lower trim levels. Unlike most, my concern has nothing to do with power, except maybe the towing capacity. For normal driving, it has plenty for what I need.
Ford has had plenty of issues with Eco-boost engines. I could risk that with the 2.0L, but on top of that is the 1.5's wet timing belt. If you really deep-dive and research it, you would likely find it concerning as well. And it does have a bit of other weirdness, which I could likely get past, but maybe not. Some 1.5 owners on here have blown off longevity concerns by saying they will trade it off before anything becomes an issue, but I keep my vehicles longer than most.

So, I started looking at the Cherokee V6 Latitude Lux. For similar money I get a naturally-aspirated V6, which I feel better about. I get heated leather seats and steering wheel, HD Radio, a tow package with 4500 pound capacity and quite a bit more compared to the Badlands.

Like I said, there is a lot I like about the Bronco more, especially the appearance.
But there are concerns and limitations that may force me to the Jeep.
FYI, the 1.5l has a timing chain. Over in the FB group, a Ford parts guy ordered one to lay the debate to rest. It is a chain. I know this is an old thread, but thought this may be worth mentioning to people ?

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
FYI, the 1.5l has a timing chain. Over in the FB group, a Ford parts guy ordered one to lay the debate to rest. It is a chain. I know this is an old thread, but thought this may be worth mentioning to people ?
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of this. All of the Ford pre-release press indicated the wet timing belt. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored