Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Any hear their transmission shudder under 20mph cruising, not while accelerating?
Hello, John! Are you experiencing this shudder concern with your Bronco? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.

beaudointl

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Any hear their transmission shudder under 20mph cruising, not while accelerating?
Mine used to do something similar but it was the cylinder deactivation system. Going slow, cruising, no load it would deactivate a cylinder and it would go away if you moved the gas pedal slightly in either direction. Had the fuel injector recall done lately, they reflashed the PCM and the issue is gone. I guess they fixed it with the latest calibration.

jzombie

Big Bend
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hello, John! Are you experiencing this shudder concern with your Bronco? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.
Hey I thought I was crazy, but I'm getting this too.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not sure if I have experienced this, but I have chalked up rough performance on start up to a cold engine but you might be onto something. I do notice around 34mph with RPMs of around 1,400 a slugging or shuddering. It almost feels like the transmission is maintaining too high of a gear relative to speed. It usually happens on slight downhill slopes so, to me, it seems like the programming of the transmission has it get confused in that scenario. It reminds me of needing to downshift on a motorcycle. I have recreated it multiple times on a stretch of road to work.

I have also heard of people reporting a RDU failure and saying they felt shutter or vibrations during low speed turning, but I have tried to replicate that and not noticed anything peculiar.

There have also been automotive reviews that mention the 1.5 having annoying vibrations and shutters at low speed and clunky shifts, but then people always disagree saying they don't ever feel that. The threads usually devolve into people saying "I feel it too" and "Nope never felt a thing."

I'm not sure if the QC is just really bad, or if its a more common problem that people just refuse to acknowledge or honestly don't feel. Maybe they are used to older vehicles that had a more rough ride before upgrading? Really couldn't tell you.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Not sure if I have experienced this, but I have chalked up rough performance on start up to a cold engine but you might be onto something. I do notice around 34mph with RPMs of around 1,400 a slugging or shuddering. It almost feels like the transmission is maintaining too high of a gear relative to speed. It usually happens on slight downhill slopes so, to me, it seems like the programming of the transmission has it get confused in that scenario. It reminds me of needing to downshift on a motorcycle. I have recreated it multiple times on a stretch of road to work.

I have also heard of people reporting a RDU failure and saying they felt shutter or vibrations during low speed turning, but I have tried to replicate that and not noticed anything peculiar.

There have also been automotive reviews that mention the 1.5 having annoying vibrations and shutters at low speed and clunky shifts, but then people always disagree saying they don't ever feel that. The threads usually devolve into people saying "I feel it too" and "Nope never felt a thing."

I'm not sure if the QC is just really bad, or if its a more common problem that people just refuse to acknowledge or honestly don't feel. Maybe they are used to older vehicles that had a more rough ride before upgrading? Really couldn't tell you.
Your second sentence about being in too high of a gear at 34 mph and 1,400 rpm is true and IMO Ford does it for Mileage ratings.Get it to the highest gear as soon as possible.It needs to downshift too a lower gear quicker. Mine does now but i don't want to post it here how i solved the problem. I can start a conversation with you and let you know what helps and why i don't want to post it here.

Last edited: