The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Our new Big Bend locked the rear wheels while in neutral to go through the car wash. Attendant had me press the L button in the shift knob to go forward. Anyone else have this happen?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. We entered an automatic car wash we use all the time. The attendant guides you forward onto the track. Once you are far enough forward he tells you to place the vehicle in neutral and foot off the brake. At this point rollers come up behind your rear tires and push you forward through the wash. OK. So our Bronco was clearly in neutral, we were both in the car and our seat belts were fastened. Some technology in the car sensed that the car was going forward in neutral and locked the rear wheels. This made the car wash rollers go under the rear wheels at which point the wash shut down. The attendant came over and saw the car clearly in neutral and told us to press the L in the center of the shift knob. This released the rear brake and allowed the rail system to catch the rear wheels with the next rollers through. We then went through the car wash trouble free.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Our new Big Bend locked the rear wheels while in neutral to go through the car wash. Attendant had me press the L button in the shift knob to go forward. Anyone else have this happen?
It tells you on display when you put in neatral to exit vehicle in neutral press the L button..

OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I don't exit the vehicle. You ride through on the tracks.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
1 click left to N

thats it.

also if you open the door AFTER you do thatā€¦it got into P on its own

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Also, Iā€™m staying out of those automated car washes. Those brushes/shammies or whatever damage paint.

you donā€™t know who went through before you and the same brushes that make contact with tires and bumpers make contact with paint

hand wash at home or automated spray only

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
1 click left to N

thats it.

Or if you turn off the engine. It will shift to park when you shut down the engine.

OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
1 click left to N

thats it.

That wasn't it. We were clearly in neutral and the attendant had us press the L in the middle of the shift knob. Then all was OK.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Also, Iā€™m staying out of those automated car washes. Those brushes/shammies or whatever damage paint.

you donā€™t know who went through before you and the same brushes that make contact with tires and bumpers make contact with paint

One time I was first to go through in morning and it spit sticky grease all over the car. Had to take it home and use car wax to get grease off. This was with my old CRV couple years back. Car wash attendant said grease was due to maintenance.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL

I have a local automated wash that promises their brushes are "safe". A friend put his new Supra through it (against my warnings) and he ended up with swirls for days. That $30 car wash turned into $1030 when he took it to the detailer for a full machine polish on a 6 month old car.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I would never, ever use a car wash that touches the car. They are guaranteed to cause damage.

A local gas station has a car wash that offers touch free and ā€œsoft touchā€ options. We took our 2016 ruby red Fusion through it. We selected the touch free wash but the machine malfunctioned and did soft touch instead.

The sound of the ā€œsoft touchā€ material hitting the car was awful. It literally just slaps it really hard.

Needless to say, the car was covered in scratches. The gas station admitted fault but refused to pay for the damage.

Fortunately, our dealer was really nice and buffed and polished the entire car for free. It looked flawless!

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have a touchless only car wash and its actually cheaper than those touch washes. It always has long lines but so worth it. I am too lazy to wash myself so this works for me. The only swirls were from me on the B/C/D pillars the first time not using the correct drying cloths and then wiping instead of dabbing dry lol. I could always PPF but the dmg is done. Perhaps on my 7th Gen (2060 lol?)

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
This is pretty interesting. So what does pressing L do? I don't have my BS yet. But I do go through some washes that also have the same rail system where it pushes the car. I figured, like others have, Neutral would mean still go forward if pushed.

OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
This is pretty interesting. So what does pressing L do? I don't have my BS yet. But I do go through some washes that also have the same rail system where it pushes the car. I figured, like others have, Neutral would mean still go forward if pushed.
The car wash attendant clearly knew what was going on. He had the solution as soon as we rolled the window down. The next time I go through I will ask what they are experiencing with these new cars. Fords aren't the only ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Not sure if you have the brake hold feature, but you have to make sure you turn that off before going into the car wash.
Yes we have the brake hold feature but it was not on. The attendant clearly knew what was going on. He had the solution as soon as we rolled the window down. The next time I go through I will ask what they are experiencing with these new cars. Fords aren't the only ones.
Sponsored

Last edited: