Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I mean you could be driving a wrangler or FJ Cruiser lol. I have had plenty of rock hits that needed repair but honestly compared to the 3 f150's I owned prior it has done better than either of those 3 had with the windshield actually cracking. Also to be fair a ford fusion has a much more raked back windshield than the BS so I am not surprised it did better. All in all I hear you it does suck but there are worse vehicles to be driving with regards to windshield issues
I understand what you are saying about the raked back style windshield on a Fusion and yes it deflects debris better.
The difference for me is like this…
The thickness or quality of the glass is like an old school beer mug compared to the crystal wine glass of a windshield on my Bronco Sport. In all honesty this cheap glass does not represent the Bronco brand well. Just to be clear, the size of a pebble, half the size of a match head or smaller, should not crack my windshield. ( Simple ). Maybe a one off stroke off bad luck, but not every time.
I know people love their Broncos here, and so do I, but this glass is sub par! Can’t imagine a real stone coming at me, I feel as though it could come right through. I never felt like that ever before in my Ford vehicle! If you are driving around town for groceries, or taking your kids to soccer practice you will probably not experience this. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, you will see for yourself.
Cheap sub par thin glass that I feel would not even protect me if anything really substantial should impact this windshield. I also found a Class action lawsuit in the U.S. that is about this very thing! It’s not just me if you look.
It is reasonable to think I may crack my windshield every time I drive my Bronco Sport offroad capable SUV to work on a well maintained highway? Or is it reasonable to breathe a sigh off relief when I get home unscathed?
It also seems odd to me that people here compare it to worse vehicles out there for windshield integrity. Why not compare it to the best?

Respectfully.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford doesn't make windshields. A glass company makes the windshield. The same glass company makes millions and millions of glass pieces for varieties of manufacturers. It's all manufactured and tested to a regulated level of safety standards to earn the seals and logos on the glass. So it feels a little odd to square the issue up on Ford. It's glass. Rock beats glass. Do they offer the same insurance benefits in CA as the US? I have a full coverage glass rider. Like $20 a year and I have $zero deductible for glass repair. I suggest it. Glass claims way outstrip any other claims I have had for a lifetime of driving. Just for kicks, I went and looked who Carlex (the Ford brand glass) makes auto glass for.

Audi
Bentley
BMW
Bugatti
Cadillac
Chevrolet
DMC
Dodge
Ford
General Motors
Honda
Hyundai
Jaguar
Jeep
Kia
Lamborghini
Lincoln
Magna
Mazda
Mercedes
Nissan
Porsche
PSA
Rolls Royce
Skoda
Stellantis
Subaru
Toyota
That’s quite a list… like I said, I never experienced this problem before and I drive a lot. Maybe it is due to the manufacturer cutting back and providing a cheaper less durable product. All I know is that the windshield on my beloved Bronco Sport is crap! It hurts me to say it! I always loved my Ford cars of the past!
Just wait you’ll see!

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I understand what you are saying about the raked back style windshield on a Fusion and yes it deflects debris better.
The difference for me is like this…
The thickness or quality of the glass is like an old school beer mug compared to the crystal wine glass of a windshield on my Bronco Sport. In all honesty this cheap glass does not represent the Bronco brand well. Just to be clear, the size of a pebble, half the size of a match head or smaller, should not crack my windshield. ( Simple ). Maybe a one off stroke off bad luck, but not every time.
I know people love their Broncos here, and so do I, but this glass is sub par! Can’t imagine a real stone coming at me, I feel as though it could come right through. I never felt like that ever before in my Ford vehicle! If you are driving around town for groceries, or taking your kids to soccer practice you will probably not experience this. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, you will see for yourself.
Cheap sub par thin glass that I feel would not even protect me if anything really substantial should impact this windshield. I also found a Class action lawsuit in the U.S. that is about this very thing! It’s not just me if you look.
It is reasonable to think I may crack my windshield every time I drive my Bronco Sport offroad capable SUV to work on a well maintained highway? Or is it reasonable to breathe a sigh off relief when I get home unscathed?
It also seems odd to me that people here compare it to worse vehicles out there for windshield integrity. Why not compare it to the best?

Respectfully.

Never once did I say rock, I said tiny pebble!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ford doesn't make windshields. A glass company makes the windshield. The same glass company makes millions and millions of glass pieces for varieties of manufacturers. It's all manufactured and tested to a regulated level of safety standards to earn the seals and logos on the glass. So it feels a little odd to square the issue up on Ford. It's glass. Rock beats glass.
If I could give this two thumbs up I would. Ford deserves its share of opprobrium for the way it's handled labor and supply chain disruptions (production delays, feature deletes, lower production quality, etc.), but bashing it for following government-mandated best practices is neither reasonable nor helpful.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I know as much as I love my Bronco, I will not be able to keep it, if I constantly have to replace the windshield. $1000.00 to replace or $75.00 per crack if repairable. Why put a cheap piece of crap windshield in a Bronco?
Get and install the Aeroskin II. It completely changes the airflow and those little rocks don't even hit the windshield. After I installed it, I went from bugs everywhere to only an occasional smear.

It looks cool too.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
I would like to start by saying that I have always been brand loyal to Ford. I always felt like I was driving a quality product. I followed the Bronco for 3 years before they appeared on the lots.
In December of 2022 I purchased a Bronco Sport Big Bend. I was attracted to it’s rugged styling and it’s size for a SUV that I could commute with, drive in the city, and thought it would be perfect getting me into my cottage!
Just shy of two months of owing it, I feel sick about my purchase. Everything about it was great, but where Ford really dropped the ball, was on the Windshield. Putting it politely, it is not up to expectations when it comes to its integrity. It is complete garbage. Three stone cracks in less than two months on a clear well travelled highway, the (QEW) going 100km hr. The pebbles were so tiny they do not warrant the term stone chip. Every tiny little tink will leave you wondering if there’s another crack!
They will explain that stone chips are not a warranty issue. They will tell you it’s the design angle of the windshield, anything to deflect any responsibility! My previous car a 2013 Ford Fusion with 500 thousand km on it never had an issue with it windshield travelling the same route for 5 years! In my opinion this Windshield is not up to a standard that I am accustomed to being in the Ford family. I’m a Ford guy, over a million miles driven in Fords, this is a drastic disappointment. If you read this, and own one, you mark my words, it’s just a matter of time before a speck of a stone tinks off your windshield leaving a star shaped crack!
Make me proud Ford, take care of loyal customers and address this issue.
When calling Ford customer relations I was told it is not a warranty issue and my file would be closed.
I know as much as I love my Bronco, I will not be able to keep it, if I constantly have to replace the windshield. $1000.00 to replace or $75.00 per crack if repairable. Why put a cheap piece of crap windshield in a Bronco?

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E2BAEBEE-C5AD-4840-82B9-DD55B1CA4773

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E1FD571E-09D9-4392-A9EC-CD43A35C649A

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity 371ADDE5-C708-4EAE-8688-96EBFB0CAD8B
I have 3000 miles on my Donkey sport and the windshield is also hammered! I have a 2000 ford f-350 dually and the windshield is in way better shape than my donkey! Our donkies are just glorified plastic mall crawlers! 🤮😭😭

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Two words: Following distance.
Just wait… this thread will ring in your ears when you hear the tiny little tink of the smallest little pebble that leaves a nice little star for you to admire in front of your face. Just wait it’s coming!

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yep. My area is famous for everyone replacing windshields multiple times a year but I'm coming up on 2 years of Bronco ownership without replacing it once or having chips in the windshield.

OTOH, I don't follow close, never have.
It’s not about following close.. it’s about cheap glass! You’ve been lucky but I hate to break it to you… pun intended!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Just wait… this thread will ring in your ears when you hear the tiny little tink of the smallest little pebble that leaves a nice little star for you to admire in front of your face. Just wait it’s coming!
Gee, I don't think I've ever read someone so excited about another's potential misfortune. My mention of following distance was not a personal judgement of you, Joseph.

Steve (Escape2Bronco) explained how windshield glass manufacturing has changed over the past few years to meet more stringent safety requirements, so bashing Ford for making "cheaper" windshields makes no sense. This especially true when you consider that Ford BUYS windshields from a supplier (Carlex) that also supplies windshields for numerous other OEMs. Regardless of who is at fault, the situation is what it is; you can either be dissatisfied and waste time complaining about it online, or you can do something that might help, hence my suggestion regarding following distance.

There is always a chance you will get a rock chip or crack in the windshield glass, but I don't know how anyone can honestly think there is no reduction in that chance by increasing following distance. Rocks thrown up by vehicle tires are not immune to the effects of gravity and wind resistance. If your windshield is constantly bombarded by thrown up rocks you are not providing enough time for gravity and wind to have their effects.

Last edited:

Red21Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I would like to start by saying that I have always been brand loyal to Ford. I always felt like I was driving a quality product. I followed the Bronco for 3 years before they appeared on the lots.
In December of 2022 I purchased a Bronco Sport Big Bend. I was attracted to it’s rugged styling and it’s size for a SUV that I could commute with, drive in the city, and thought it would be perfect getting me into my cottage!
Just shy of two months of owing it, I feel sick about my purchase. Everything about it was great, but where Ford really dropped the ball, was on the Windshield. Putting it politely, it is not up to expectations when it comes to its integrity. It is complete garbage. Three stone cracks in less than two months on a clear well travelled highway, the (QEW) going 100km hr. The pebbles were so tiny they do not warrant the term stone chip. Every tiny little tink will leave you wondering if there’s another crack!
They will explain that stone chips are not a warranty issue. They will tell you it’s the design angle of the windshield, anything to deflect any responsibility! My previous car a 2013 Ford Fusion with 500 thousand km on it never had an issue with it windshield travelling the same route for 5 years! In my opinion this Windshield is not up to a standard that I am accustomed to being in the Ford family. I’m a Ford guy, over a million miles driven in Fords, this is a drastic disappointment. If you read this, and own one, you mark my words, it’s just a matter of time before a speck of a stone tinks off your windshield leaving a star shaped crack!
Make me proud Ford, take care of loyal customers and address this issue.
When calling Ford customer relations I was told it is not a warranty issue and my file would be closed.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E2BAEBEE-C5AD-4840-82B9-DD55B1CA4773

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E1FD571E-09D9-4392-A9EC-CD43A35C649A

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity 371ADDE5-C708-4EAE-8688-96EBFB0CAD8B
In 11,000 miles I am on my third windshield. I drive the same roads every day. My Ford Edge never had an issue in 5 years. Rocks come out of nowhere and no similarity in impacts. The first windshield I had there chips repaired before replacement. The second had one chip repaired before a hit at the bottom edge causing an immediate crack. So far so good on the third one. It's the angle of the windshield making it a rock backstop!

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
I pay extra on insurance to get OEM glass.. A few scary thoughts..

1. Do you have one of those factory installed cameras behind your windshield? hidden by rear view mirror assembly?) I sure hope that new glass will not reduce or eliminate front end impending collision, or Assist+ lane centering, adaptive cruise, etc.
  2. If bozo the clown installs your windshield and does not wear proper gloves, the sealant could fail (hope bozo didn't buy sealant from amazon..). Failed sealant or any other installation error by bozo and your windshield pops out quite nicely during a rollover. Check YouTube.. Which brings up next topic.
  3. Windshields are a safety device. Part of the rollover protection. Without a windshield your vehicle probably would receive a lower safety rating (and your roof could collapse)
  4. Get a small crack fixed before it spreads. Your insurance will likely have no deductible and they will come to your home or work.

Augsburg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sprinter 4x4, '23 Bronco Sport Badlands
Windshield damage is a problem with ALL newer cars. The auto manufacturers have gone to thinner and thinner glass to reduce weight and improve mileage. Your Bronco Sport is just typical of any newer car.

Any car with a more vertical windshield will suffer more from damage. My 2014 Jeep Wrangler had a very vertical windshield and was a magnet for rock chips. We recently had to replace the windshield on our 2020 Sprinter Van - boy that was pricey, but luckily insurance covered most of the cost.

Badtothebone2

Big Bend
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I will be replacing a windshield soon. My concern is non OEM windshield not having any sound dampening. Not even sure if that is a thing, but there is a “SoundScreen” stamp bottom right and I have a fear of additional sound noise once I get a replacement?
Is there any rationale behind my fear?
I demanded an OEM windshield safelite refused to install one saying it was too expensive. I went to a local auto glass shop instead. Not only did they not give me a problem the cost was $200 less than safelite’s aftermarket window.

DCBadlands

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands 2022
I’ve noticed a ton of pitting and tiny nicks and scratches on the glass as well. It’s magnitudes more than I’ve experienced in any other car (have only driven jeeps and escapes previously), even though it’s just a few thousand miles in, primarily city driving and two 15 min commute days a week.

Seems pretty clear they cheaped out on the glass to keep production costs down, which may have worked on more aerodynamic or taller vehicles, but is a problem for this model in particular.
Sponsored