Bronco Sport P0451 EVAP sys pressure

Sparks

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Big Bend
This post is to share an issue I faced. I'll explain what happened and the corrective action. Hoping it will be helpful to someone in the future.

Vehicle: 2023 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend with approx 22,000km
Failure Code: P0451 EVAP Emission System Pressure Sensor Performance
Location: Northen Canada, middle of winter, very very cold (-30 degrees)

I noticed a hissing/whining sound from around the LH rear wheel. Engine light came on with P0451 code. The hissing sound was coming form the fuel filler door. A closer look revealed that ice formed around the fuel filler door preventing the EVAP system from building up vacuum pressure.
I left the car in a heated garage overnight to melt the ice and carefully cleaned around the fuel door sealing area. The engine light turned off by itself the next day.

If you have an engine light with P0451, make sure the fuel filler door is sealing properly. If it is leaking, you may be able to hear a hissing sound while the engine is running.

Safe driving !
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Living in the Buffalo NY area, this was helpful, thank you for sharing

CoastieN70

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Living in the Buffalo NY area, this was helpful, thank you for sharing
Hello Fello Coastie! I am originally from Buffalo but my Coast Guard Life took me from there. Good to see another Coastie here. BTW, my BS BL is Shadow Black also, A Buffalo thing or a Coast Guard thing (?) or maybe both... ;)

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
It's amazing what a little bit of observation and critical thinking can do. 90% of people probably would've ended up paying at least $100 (if not covered under warranty) at the dealer.

Well done!

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Hello Fello Coastie! I am originally from Buffalo but my Coast Guard Life took me from there. Good to see another Coastie here. BTW, my BS BL is Shadow Black also, A Buffalo thing or a Coast Guard thing (?) or maybe both... ;)
My 1st duty station was a buoy tender out of Sturgeon Bay WI, so there's the black working there! Last duty station I struck for was Ft Lauderdale FL so I got Base Buffalo :(

CoastieN70

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
My 1st duty station was a buoy tender out of Sturgeon Bay WI, so there's the black working there! Last duty station I struck for was Ft Lauderdale FL so I got Base Buffalo :(
I was 30 years a Coastie, almost entirely Aviation with the exception of 6 months At Calumet Harbor Boat Station, South Chicago and recruiting in St Louis (3 years) and Recruiting in Chicago (1 year). Retires a CWO4 (AVI).

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I was 30 years a Coastie, almost entirely Aviation with the exception of 6 months At Calumet Harbor Boat Station, South Chicago and recruiting in St Louis (3 years) and Recruiting in Chicago (1 year). Retires a CWO4 (AVI).
Aviation was the plan, with my eyes Machinery Tec/Boarding Officer was the reality, got out an E4
Sponsored