Big Bend National Park - Anyone Interested?

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm planning a trip to Big Bend National Park around mid-April ideally. Most of it will be primitive roadside camping, but we'll be spending one night backpacking in the Chisos. Is anyone interested in making the trip with us?

Aside from doing some hiking, I'm pretty interested in driving some of the 4WD roads (Old Ore, River Road, Glenn Springs Road, Old Maverick Road) but I don't think I'd want to do it solo. Most of the more accessible roadside sites are booked up, but there's a lot of openings along Old Ore. Also, there are 30 sites along River Road, Glenn Springs Road, and Old Maverick Road that can only be booked in-person 24 hours in advance.

Any takers?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow that sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy. Too bad I’m not anywhere near Texas & it’s been too many years since I’ve been down there. One day.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Glad to see people are wanting to meet up to do trails. Can't make that one. Going to be a lot of fun!

I stopped by Barnes and Noble and picked up a giant road atlas and National Park guide book got all the information about the national parks beautiful pictures Park Basics Park highlights activities programs lodging type of stuff and the other half of the map book is all United States maps

Big Bend National Park established on
June 12th 1944
the area is 1252 square miles.
801 ,163 Acres
Wildlife watching in the area includes Bears javelinas and tarantulas.

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
We just went (well, in Nov), otherwise I'd be interested in joining in. It's a blast!

One main recommendation: get this book. "Guide to Backcountry Roads of Big Bend National Park".

It's only a few bucks and they sell it in the bookstore. Pick it up when you get the backcountry permit / site reservations for what can't be booked beforehand. Well worth every penny. Lots of neat history tidbits on what you're passing on the trail as well as being a trail guide.

Also, check out the christmas mountains trail at terlingua ranch just outside the park.

Hope y'all have a blast! It's an amazing place!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tburner

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We went last May and really enjoyed it. We're going back because we didn't get to do everything we wanted to do. Particularly backpacking South Rim in the Chisos. The wild fire forced us to scrub that from our itinerary.

I just booked campsites for the end of April, though I'm going to look into some of the non-reservable sites to maybe grab once we get there. Originally planned for early/mid-April, but decided to reschedule to avoid the full moon. The only thing about the night sky that disappointed me last year was how freakin' bright the moon was.

Still hoping someone will be able to join us! It'll be fun for sure!

llee1975

Big Bend
First Name
llee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Still waiting on BS to arrive. But, went last year in March. Such a beautifal place. We had a 4x4 truck and went backroading a bit. Most definitely the way to explore the park. Have fun!

OP
OP
tburner

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Bumping the thread to see if any new folks have wandered in that might be interested in hitting up the park.
Sponsored