Mustmoto

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
We are equipping our Alto Blue for a drive down to our home in Costa Rica from Califoria. One down there we have plans to use it for exploring Central America.

Today I got the first box of parts in and went to town.

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica 20220923_185525

Heka low profile cross bars (Amazon) were the first install. They fit well and do seem overly cheap considering they were $69.

On top of that went a flat rack from Auxpacbo (Amazon again). Overall I'm happy with the quality of the rack, but the mounting system is not great. I'm researching a better alternative. There also some wind noise around 70mph, but once the lightbar, trax, and pax are up there next week I'll go about solving the noise issues.

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica 20220923_185720

A awning will be handy for our journey to Costa Rica as well as around the countryside once we are settled in. This Danchel Outdoors awning had decent reviews and overall it's solid, but includesd hardware was junk. Luckily I had some spare T-bolts.

I've got Rotopax, maxtrax, and a 40-inch lightbar on the way. I've also got a waterproof rooftop bag that will be full on our trip south.

Last pieces of the build are soon to be ordered: 245/65R17 AT tires ( probably Toyo Open Country) and Rough Country struts, springs, and shocks. I'm not a fan of spacer lifts.

Once the journey begins we will be posting to a new youtube channel if anyone is interested in following along.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustmoto

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica 20221022_134543

Lightbar added and moved the rack to the rear to find the sweet spot on wind noise. Got it down to acceptable levels up to 85mph.

Also got Kenda Klever A/T2 tires sized 245/65R17 installed, no issues with rub without a lift. Now 50/50 on lifting as we don't plan any truly difficult off-roading.
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica IMG_20221016_211059

Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica IMG_20221022_210601

I replaced the donut spare with a fifth Kenda on a steel wheel. I moved the jack from under the wheel tonthe side in the foam dividers so I could place an emergency road kit in the tire. I cut down the bolt holding the jack and tire to work in in this configuration (after the photo was taken).
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica 20221022_134218

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Lightbar added and moved the rack to the rear to find the sweet spot on wind noise. Got it down to acceptable levels up to 85mph.

Also got Kenda Klever A/T2 tires sized 245/65R17 installed, no issues with rub without a lift. Now 50/50 on lifting as we don't plan any truly difficult off-roading.

I replaced the donut spare with a fifth Kenda on a steel wheel. I moved the jack from under the wheel tonthe side in the foam dividers so I could place an emergency road kit in the tire. I cut down the bolt holding the jack and tire to work in in this configuration (after the photo was taken).
I love watching people make vehicles their own. Keep up the good work folks!

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I am sure you'll take and hopefully post many pictures of the trip. Would love to take such a drive myself.

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Be safe and keep us posted!

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
sweet build safe travels!

OP
OP

Mustmoto

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Well... Thanks to a insane chain of events with our previous finance company (it's paid off, financed for a month...) and the CA DMV our title has been delayed. No title or registration without a lein holder on it, no crossing the boarders in Central America. I've spent over 8 hours on the phone and many more online to try and get our title as promised. Now it's 30 days until it arrives.

This means we either live in an airbnb for a month with 4 dogs, or buy another rig cash and get on the road. We did option 2....
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend " Minimalist Overlander" to Costa Rica 20221112_161504

We may have found the lowest priced Bronco available without ordering and waiting. It's a base with the 4cyl, but overall it is very nice. Has 225 miles on it. Tint tomorrow. Wheels and tires Wednesday. Lightbar, Wednesday.

So... In 30 days (if the title arrives!!) there will be a sweet Bronco Sport BB with 5k mikes on it for sale in Las Vegas.

Sucks to get it all dialed in just to sell it, but we really want to get to our new home.
Sponsored