Awning Advice Needed: Leave On or Take Off When Not In Use?

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a BL+BL coming next month and this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned where I actually plan on using the roof rack. I'm ordering the Yakima crossbars and the Yakima awning. As a result, I have a few questions for those who either already have a similar setup or have had one in the past:

1. Do you leave your awning on the roof year round, take it off during the winter and leave it on for the rest of the year, or simply connect it whenever you plan on using it and take it down when not in use?
  2. When connected, how's wind noise? (I know that depends on driver sensitivity and type of vehicle...just curious)
  3. Is there a noticeable drop in average MPG with an awning connected or is it minimal?
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to chime in.
Sponsored

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a BL+BL coming next month and this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned where I actually plan on using the roof rack. I'm ordering the Yakima crossbars and the Yakima awning. As a result, I have a few questions for those who either already have a similar setup or have had one in the past:

1. Do you leave your awning on the roof year round, take it off during the winter and leave it on for the rest of the year, or simply connect it whenever you plan on using it and take it down when not in use?
  2. When connected, how's wind noise? (I know that depends on driver sensitivity and type of vehicle...just curious)
  3. Is there a noticeable drop in average MPG with an awning connected or is it minimal?
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to chime in.
I would take it off when you're not planning on using it, especially during the winter. No sense in letting the elements beat on it unnecessarily.
I'm sure that there will be an increase in noise and maybe a slight dip in mpg, since it runs along the length of the BS it won't block as much wind but it's not exactly streamlined either.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Came off in 1 day. Crossbars too. Too. Much. Noise.​
I'm curious...was the noise too much for you to EVER consider using them? Or, are you saying that the you'd rather deal with the hassle of installing and removing when they're needed and only deal with the noise then?

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm curious...was the noise too much for you to EVER consider using them? Or, are you saying that the you'd rather deal with the hassle of installing and removing when they're needed and only deal with the noise then?
We drove it first with the awning and kayak racks. it was really bad.
Took the accessories off, and with just the crossbars, still bad.
Removed crossbars. Happiness.

1) We needed to drive the new machine without the noise to get used to it without distraction. Later, it might not be so bad.
2) When needed, I plan to put them back. I am told that a load really helps cut down the noise..
3) It could be that my crossbars are too long - they could be cut down so that they don't jut out so far.
4) Yakima makes a fairing that is supposed to really help.

It's my wife's Bronco. She Really wants kayaks. And her awning. So, it is going to be fixed.

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1) We needed to drive the new machine without the noise to get used to it without distraction. Later, it might not be so bad.
2) When needed, I plan to put them back. I am told that a load really helps cut down the noise..
3) It could be that my crossbars are too long - they could be cut down so that they don't jut out so far.

It's my wife's Bronco. She Really wants kayaks. And her awning. So, it is going to be fixed.
I appreciate the real world feedback. You've definitely given me something to think about as I wait for my BL+BL.

sullivan.mary0228

Badlands
First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda

Do you have the Yakima Crossbars/Rack?

I have the Thule Crossbar/Cargo Basket installed and honestly I can't tell the difference, except for a small whistle that happens around 55-65 when my windows are down.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I have the Thule Crossbar/Cargo Basket installed and honestly I can't tell the difference, except for a small whistle that happens around 55-65 when my windows are down.
Do you have a fairing installed? I'm waiting on the locks for her Thule bars before I test them out.

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Yup - Yakima crossbars - ours was a mannequin. I haven't experimented with getting them quieted yet.