Anyone Have PPF Installed on Plastic Pillars?

LeftyLynn

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I picked up my Badlands over the weekend and it came with light swirls/scratches on all the glossy black pillars between the windows. I'm working on figuring out if they can be buffed out or need to be replaced. Once they're back to how they should be I want to protect them since it seems that the plastic scratches quite easily. Has anyone had PPF put on theirs? I got a quote for $600 today. I really wish Ford wouldn't have put all of that plastic on this vehicle!
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Last edited:

dhaas06

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL/BL
I mentioned in anther thread earlier this week that I ordered the pillars kit from Xpel, so I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives and I have time to apply them. They rate the difficulty only 1/5, so for $200 vs the $600 you were quoted, I think doing it yourself will be worth the savings.

OP
OP

LeftyLynn

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned in anther thread earlier this week that I ordered the pillars kit from Xpel, so I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives and I have time to apply them. They rate the difficulty only 1/5, so for $200 vs the $600 you were quoted, I think doing it yourself will be worth the savings.
Thanks! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. If it's anything like applying vinyl screen protectors to phones and other screens, I don't think I'll be happy with how it turns out doing it myself. I'm always so OCD about applying those and they don't turn out as perfect as I'd like.

dhaas06

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL/BL
Got my kit and did the install today, and I have a newfound respect for the professionals that install PPF! Short version - if anyone is not already trained in applying PPF, and if they are a perfectionist in any way who will be OCD about imperfect results, I suggest having a pro apply your film protection.

I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself into until the kit showed up with no application instructions, so I found this video for an example of how this exact film brand is applied:

Realized I wasn't fully equipped, so picked up PPF application supplies on Amazon including squeegees of different shapes/sizes, a couple empty spray bottles, new microfiber towels and J&J baby shampoo. Mixed up my slip and tack solutions, couple drops baby shampoo for the slip and 25% isopropyl alcohol / 75% distilled water for tack. Followed the steps, took my time.

In the end, I only had one or two of the twelve different pieces turn out what I'd consider perfect. I thought I was being careful and doing a nice job, but invariably would have a bubble here or there, or some sort of imperfection in the film as I tried smoothing out an area or peeling it up and trying again, which then left some tiny wrinkles or patterns in it. At the end of the day I peeled off and gave up on the big triangle ones that go on the C pillar with the fake vent, behind the rear doors. I had the most trouble with these, and the result looked so pathetic that I figured scratches would look better than my bad film application. Still ended up with all the other pieces in decent shape, and overall I'll take any minor imperfections in those pillars' film than scratches everywhere.

All in all no regrets, and at least I got the majority of what I paid for applied and looking fine. Hope my experience helps anyone who may be considering this or other DIY PPF. The actual pieces were cut out perfectly and worked great, it's just a difficult thing to master your first time, and for the price - messing up is expensive!

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Got my kit and did the install today, and I have a newfound respect for the professionals that install PPF! Short version - if anyone is not already trained in applying PPF, and if they are a perfectionist in any way who will be OCD about imperfect results, I suggest having a pro apply your film protection.

I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself into until the kit showed up with no application instructions, so I found this video for an example of how this exact film brand is applied:

Realized I wasn't fully equipped, so picked up PPF application supplies on Amazon including squeegees of different shapes/sizes, a couple empty spray bottles, new microfiber towels and J&J baby shampoo. Mixed up my slip and tack solutions, couple drops baby shampoo for the slip and 25% isopropyl alcohol / 75% distilled water for tack. Followed the steps, took my time.

In the end, I only had one or two of the twelve different pieces turn out what I'd consider perfect. I thought I was being careful and doing a nice job, but invariably would have a bubble here or there, or some sort of imperfection in the film as I tried smoothing out an area or peeling it up and trying again, which then left some tiny wrinkles or patterns in it. At the end of the day I peeled off and gave up on the big triangle ones that go on the C pillar with the fake vent, behind the rear doors. I had the most trouble with these, and the result looked so pathetic that I figured scratches would look better than my bad film application. Still ended up with all the other pieces in decent shape, and overall I'll take any minor imperfections in those pillars' film than scratches everywhere.

All in all no regrets, and at least I got the majority of what I paid for applied and looking fine. Hope my experience helps anyone who may be considering this or other DIY PPF. The actual pieces were cut out perfectly and worked great, it's just a difficult thing to master your first time, and for the price - messing up is expensive!
I've found if you are left with a tiny bubble or two you make a tiny hole and you will be good to go. I use dawn in my soapy solution. Squeegie from the middle out in slow strokes. Atleast with vinly; I'll try this method on my Xpel kit when it arrives

Orlando

Badlands
First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We had XPEL professionally installed. We had the entire front end, the bottom of the doors on both sides, and the installer did our B-Pillers for free with some of the leftover pieces. (I rubbed some dirt at the edge of the door panel pieces so you can see where it stops. They typically can’t be seen.)
Total job was around $1,400.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone Have PPF Installed on Plastic Pillars? BBADBC7B-7DD3-44AF-BE9D-C9526AF7D29C

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone Have PPF Installed on Plastic Pillars? CB561038-897F-453C-A6EC-9CCC7C097401

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone Have PPF Installed on Plastic Pillars? 8AFFE2D3-4B7C-4034-B46E-6F31C268ED83

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
$300 for Pillars. Valley Mars, Grand Forks, ND.

Valley Mars, LLC
2887 Heartland Business Court
Grand Forks, ND 58201 US
(701) 335-3915
[email protected]
Valley MARS - Home | Facebook
PPF Xpel Ultimate plus Installation
1790​
18" Hood & Fenders , Front Bumper
600​
All Pillars
300​
Door Handle Cups
50​
Rockers
400​
Doors Sills
100​
Door Edges
40​
Hatch Top
100​
Roof Edges
100​
Headlights
100​
Ceramic Coating
1200​
all exterior Paint & Film Xpel Fusion Plus
650​
all exterior Glass Xpel Glass
150​
Wheels Off Xpel Wheel & Calipers
400​
Ceramic Boost One Bottle
0​
Windshield and Misc
75​
Windshield Sharpshield 2x
75​
Bug Deflector, Window Vents & Bumper cover
0​
Total
3065​

OP
OP

LeftyLynn

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for confirming my original thoughts. I'm scheduled to have it installed on all of the glossy piano black pieces on Tuesday. My dealership body shop successfully buffed out all the fine swirly scratches and recommended another dealership that installs PPF. They're going to do it for $400. Hopefully it turns out well.
Sponsored