Any Comparisons with upcoming Mazda CX-50?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
It’s good to hear they are updating It.
Never owned a Mazda but had more than one friend that drove a B-2000 year after year after year after year aft,,,,,,,, Right !
Sponsored

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
Yeah seems BS BL out there in a class by itself. Power torque off road ability drives super nice on road great driving experience and goes back to what an SUV is supposed to be....
exactly...when I started to look for an SUV/crossover last year, I started with a sporty crossover like a GV 70, but then I wanted a good o' SUV that has a taller sitting position and can fit a couple of bikes inside standing...and capable of some light off-roading....I landed on the BS BL.

as for the CX-50, ... @AWSD, I just almost did what you have done. I was frustrated with the long wait and not much info from Ford. The CX-50 is a nice car. The Turbo trim compare well with BS BL and have the advantages you mentioned. No doubt the interior is nicer and a little more room (length wise). I also think it may have the brand reliability..as we have couple of Mazda in the family and they have been very reliable (knock on wood..). The CX-50 is based on the smaller CX-30. I think that is a very nice little crossover especially with that turbo motor. it is like a "hot hatch". oh yeah, you gave up your order?!! it'd be nice if they let me have it so I get a same equipped car months sooner. I will give up the cyber orange to a cactus gray :)

If I am not already have another order of a bigger SUV, I may switch to the CX-50. I thought the CX-50 Turbo is a few grand more than the BS BL....but with the recent price increased, I guess they are even now.

I'd like to see what the new CX-70 will bring. the new I-6 rear drive architecture with hybrid mixed in...but now i have my built week scheduled....I should just wait.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I agree the BS would have been better at "off-roading", but I live in San Diego and was never planning to beat mine up in the mountains. For the minimal non-pavement driving I do, the AWD CX-50 will more than suffice at getting me to trail heads for hiking/camping.
Knowing what you want is 90% half the battle when it comes to owner satisfaction. It seems to me a lot of people who complain about their new cars would have been a lot happier if they had simply selected a vehicle better suited to their wants and needs.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
So I did give up my BSBL order on 4/20/22 after purchasing the CX-50. Yes I could see light at the end of my 6 month wait with a build week of next week, but the Mazda won me over. I test drove both vehicles multiple times and for me it came down to multiple key differences. Obviously both are distinguishably different looking and marketed to similar crowds, we all have our opinions on those. I agree the BS would have been better at "off-roading", but I live in San Diego and was never planning to beat mine up in the mountains. For the minimal non-pavement driving I do, the AWD CX-50 will more than suffice at getting me to trail heads for hiking/camping. The hard facts are that the turbo CX-50 can tow 3500lbs. , 1500 more than the BSBL. This expands my shopping market for tow behind campers. Our small one child family can fit much more comfortably, there is a lot more passenger leg room with a child seat installed in the CX-50. The interior quality and seat comfort is sooooo much better in the CX-50, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Driving dynamics, handling, and engine power are on another level in the CX-50 compared to the BS. Brand reliability was another deciding factor. Yes I'm rolling the dice on a new model that can very well have unforeseen issues, but there was just something about hearing owners issues on this forum and how they were treated at Ford dealers that rubbed me the wrong way. Lastly, my CX-50 is 100% complete and built as advertised, no shortcuts, no changing out parts, no chip shortage excuses. I really wanted to like the BSBL, but test driving both changed my mind.
So you wouldn’t be using the lockers when in stop-and-go traffic on the 5 or 805 or 15….?

I’m in SD as well and much of that is overkill for the driving we have available out here.

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I am trading my bronvo sport for a 2022 cx-5 carbon edition.. i looked at and drove the cx50.. but after a lot of thought decided to go with the 5.. i dont go off roading... so thats not an issue.. even though mazda has there new awd off road system. Not sure how good yet. Wont see car till july. Not even built yet and coming from japan .. but i do like that ill have a sunroof, heated leather seats.. power on driver and passenger.. 19 in gloss black rims. Power liftgate. There 6 speed trans is smooth and they tweaked it this year to make it even better.. And you just get a luxury interior with high quality parts. all for around 31k... i enjoyed my bronco.. i know everyone gets mad when i talk bad about it.. its a cool vehicle.. just feel like fords has started using cheaper products to build there vehicles. I can not stand the hard plastics they use everywhere.. and the 1.5 engine is noisy(especially with no engine cover 🤣)... wish they would get rid of continental tires.... and a manual lumbar on the base edition wouldnt hurt.. wish the seats were about 2 in longer ... thats just my opinion.. dont go off on me guys . Thx

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope you're happy with the Mazda. I've never owned one, but I've always hankered for a Miata; just couldn't figure out how to fit in one...
Ya i was standing next to one the other day thinking no freaking way will i be able to get back out 🤣

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The Muzios have their review of the CX-50 today.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Ryan Douthit's review from a couple of weeks ago.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Knowing what you want is 90% half the battle when it comes to owner satisfaction. It seems to me a lot of people who complain about their new cars would have been a lot happier if they had simply selected a vehicle better suited to their wants and needs.
so 45%
:D

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Ryan Douthit's review from a couple of weeks ago.
He does good reviews. More objective, at least as he can be, than most. He’s good about talking in class features and keeping that in mind while reviewing cars.
Sponsored