RNM

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had a similar issue with my BS BL, I had just fueled up and as I was sitting there in the parking lot, it actually died on me. I noticed the surging as described, it would idle down to around 450 rpms. Then jump back up to around 1000 then go back down, then back up intermittently. After it stalled, I restarted it by pressing the ignition button and she fired right up. Noticed the idle and surge further on down the road at stop lights but eventually it cleared itself up and I didn’t have any further issues. Still every once in a while it feels just a bit off on idle. That was about 1000 -2000 miles ago and I’m currently at 57000.

I thought perhaps it was a fuel issue considering I just fueled up.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I had a similar issue with my BS BL, I had just fueled up and as I was sitting there in the parking lot, it actually died on me. I noticed the surging as described, it would idle down to around 450 rpms. Then jump back up to around 1000 then go back down, then back up intermittently. After it stalled, I restarted it by pressing the ignition button and she fired right up. Noticed the idle and surge further on down the road at stop lights but eventually it cleared itself up and I didn’t have any further issues. Still every once in a while it feels just a bit off on idle. That was about 1000 -2000 miles ago and I’m currently at 57000.

I thought perhaps it was a fuel issue considering I just fueled up.
This sounds like a malfunctioning purge valve.

Reactions: RNM

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
I had that issue in my stang once. Believe it or not, don’t ask me why cause I don’t understand…. But it was the battery. The dealer suggested I replace it , I did, and it went away.

I’m not mechanically inclined enough to understand why because I thought alternator would be in charge of the…. Charge. But. Anywho. Probably just sound like an idiot LOL.
yeah this is accurate, i’ve hit this scenario but while i was just starting up the car and it would do the gasping rpm you described. My battery at the time was just less than 2yrs old so it didnt dawn to me that it would be the battery thats bad but i had it checked at an autoshop and voila, busted battery was the result, Zero charge.

RNM

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
This sounds like a malfunctioning purge valve.
Thanks, I think I read in the post about someone that replaced this part, I will check into it. Much appreciated.
Sponsored