Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport
Hello and good afternoon,

My wife's Bronco Sport the other day did a strange thing that I can't seem to find anywhere else. After we filled up on gas after driving for about 2 hours, while stopped at a red light, the car began to drop RPM from its normal idle. It would get down to around 3-400 RPM and then jump back up to about 750ish. It would then idle normally again and about 20 seconds later repeat the cycle. I thought it may be the fuel but after driving another 2 hours it seems the problem is no more. Her car has about 51,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had that issue in my stang once. Believe it or not, donā€™t ask me why cause I donā€™t understandā€¦. But it was the battery. The dealer suggested I replace it , I did, and it went away.

Iā€™m not mechanically inclined enough to understand why because I thought alternator would be in charge of theā€¦. Charge. But. Anywho. Probably just sound like an idiot LOL.

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
Weak Battery could do this. The number is sensors that go nuts If slightly under powered is crazy. Iā€™d call dealer you are inside the warranty period so should be fine.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

My wife's Bronco Sport the other day did a strange thing that I can't seem to find anywhere else. After we filled up on gas after driving for about 2 hours, while stopped at a red light, the car began to drop RPM from its normal idle. It would get down to around 3-400 RPM and then jump back up to about 750ish. It would then idle normally again and about 20 seconds later repeat the cycle. I thought it may be the fuel but after driving another 2 hours it seems the problem is no more. Her car has about 51,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there! If you can send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information, I'd be happy to look into things on my end.

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
I have the surges rn. Iā€™ll be at a McDonaldā€™s drive thru and I can feel it and hear it. I didnā€™t pay attention to my odometer, but it just surges and idk why. It seems like every day itā€™s something new. I have a 2022.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I literally just had this exact thing happen not long ago. Got off work. Went to gas station to fill up and then after fueling up at a stop light car started idling rough for a few seconds. Back to normal then idle rough once again. My commute home is 45 miles so once I got home I idled the car in my driveway and everything was fine. 50k miles.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

What was the issue? Battery? Thnx

Last edited:

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've got the same issue going on. Happens even in park, not just idle. 2021, 1.5L.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
OP
OP

Platypus1007

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport
Hey all sorry for not updating but I bought an AGM battery for it from Walmart with a five year warranty and that did the trick. Replacing the battery is an ordeal with the amount of stuff you need to remove but overall not bad. It's been working fine ever since with no problems.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hey all sorry for not updating but I bought an AGM battery for it from Walmart with a five year warranty and that did the trick. Replacing the battery is an ordeal with the amount of stuff you need to remove but overall not bad. It's been working fine ever since with no problems.
Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco

My BB does that when it's cold (once or twice occasionally), she has 47k on her

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Seeing how weā€™re having this issue after fill up. Mark brought it up in a different thread that itā€™s possibly a evap purge valve issue. I have a habit of topping off even after the nozzle clicks so Iā€™ll stop doing that. Iā€™ll keep an eye out from now on to see if the rough idle comes back.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hereā€™s an update. Rough idle became consistent after every fuel up. I ended up ordering a new oil separator (purge valve) Part #: HX7Z6A785C from ford parts website for $53. Easy 5 min replacement. Problem fixed, no more rough idle after fueling.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Hereā€™s an update. Rough idle became consistent after every fuel up. I ended up ordering a new oil separator (purge valve) Part #: HX7Z6A785C from ford parts website for $53. Easy 5 min replacement. Problem fixed, no more rough idle after fueling.
Thanks for sharing this solution. Hopefully it helps others who may experience the same issue.
Sponsored