2.0L MPG Fuel Mileage

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I really don't care if you believe me or not. I'm just telling you what I'm getting. I've seen quite a few getting similar mileage. Not that hard to do. Drive normal, use eco mode, use start-stop and use ethanol free gas. I've found ethanol gas along with worth 1-2 mpg depending on the vehicle.
Sponsored

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I really don't care if you believe me or not. I'm just telling you what I'm getting. I've seen quite a few getting similar mileage. Not that hard to do. Drive normal, use eco mode, use start-stop and use ethanol free gas. I've found ethanol gas along with worth 1-2 mpg depending on the vehicle.
Out of curiosity, how much stopped-idling and stop-and-go traffic do you end up experiencing? I'm guessing "very little".

For my own BS (BL+BL/2.0l), mileage has varied from 25 MPG on a nearly highway no-traffic only tank, down to 14 MPG for inner-city driving and hours of parked idling.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
...and only drive down hill with a tail wind...
( little humor ?)

Ethanol gas interesting? Not certain about that I just Googled it and it says it has less energy in it than regular gas.
Hows that then to get better mpg?

What is it cost per gallon?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ethanol has a lower flame propagation meaning the flame front is slower to advance. It will carry more heat burn slower.
Our cars deal with all this or at least mine does.
Iā€™ve taken mpgā€™s with 10% Ethanol and real gas several times, to get a well rounded number.
I had no difference.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
After 20K miles on my Badlands, I'm still around 28 mpg. I do use ethanol free premium which nets me some extra mileage from experience over the years. I don't drive it like a sports car but I do use it a lot off and on road.
In traffic I use auto start/stop. Eco mode generally. Not that hard to get 30 mpg tanks if the winds aren't blowing 50 mph. If you drive it and don't care about mileage, it's a typical ecoboost and your mileage will be much worse.
I guess I should have opted for the more expensive Badlands with the bigger engine so I could get better mileage than I am on this "underpowered" 3 cylinder. ?

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ethanol has a lower flame propagation meaning the flame front is slower to advance. It will carry more heat burn slower.
One of the beneficial properties of ethanol blends is they increase octane. There's a reason why ethanol is so popular in the racing community.

Iā€™ve taken mpgā€™s with 10% Ethanol and real gas several times, to get a well rounded number.
I had no difference.
Gasoline contains 114,000 BTUs per gallon, compared to ethanol's 76,100 BTUs. That seems like a large difference in energy content, but for our purposes we're not comparing one to the other, we're comparing gasoline to E10 blends, which is gasoline blended with 10% ethanol. If you do the math, E10 contains 111,836 BTUs, or 98% of gasoline's. If you say for arguments sake that all other things equal, a reduction in BTUs will result in a commensurate reduction in fuel efficiency, that would mean you should see a 2% decrease in economy using E10 instead of gasoline. That's a difference of .6 mpg for a car that gets 30 mpg. I think it would be difficult to measure this difference without instrumentation beyond what's available to the average owner.

I believe the switch between winter and summer formulations (in areas that do this) has a bigger impact on fuel economy that the difference between gasoline and E10.

Last edited:

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just adding simple detail
to ethanol discussion
Ford Bronco Sport 2.0L MPG Fuel Mileage Screenshot_20220126-065317_Chrome

Ethanol free gas is
.30 to 1.00 more $ per gallon.
(Part of the equation imo)

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Lifetime average for mine so far is 25.2MPG. Lowest tank 21.26MPG. Highest tank was 29.28MPG. 5,350 odo. I use the Fuelio app to track and typically go to empty and then fill up. I think one time I went to 6 miles remaining on the dash :crackup: :whew::please:.

Believe me when I say Oregon gets some of the shittiest, highest ethanol blended gas in the country and I'm convinced a lot of the storage tanks have water intrusion too. The ethanol blended gas is a big Greenwashing scam anyhow. The more E, the less mileage you will get. You can switch to premium or even clear gas and up the mileage but you'll also up the cost.

I drive a lot of short trips around town and hit plenty of red lights. I drive Normal for that. I don't use the start/stop as long as I remember to hit the switch, unless I end up somewhere like a drive thru bank. If I am on a highway or expressway, using the ACC and I switch to Eco. If you have it, the ACC is the best feature to up your MPG because it has a very light touch on the throttle.

The MPG has been impressive so far; I don't think I ever owned another vehicle that hit the stated estimates. I'm expecting it to drop as components wear a bit. Tune ups and new plugs only ever made a scant difference on my other cars' MPG. Heck, it already could use a small front alignment.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I believe the switch between winter and summer formulations (in areas that do this) has a bigger impact on fuel economy that the difference between gasoline and E10.
Ok on that point I get about 2.0 mpgā€™s Less on the winter mix. This often Includes one 15 minute remote start in the AM.
I like a little heat in the cab to start out with.

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ā€˜22 Explr ST ordered
My mpgs have been better than my '14 Subaru Forester (my trade for the BL). Been getting between 23 and 26.5, depending on weather and driving conditions. Does really well with city driving. It's a great vehicle!

Brad & Karin

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 1500, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
We have about 3k miles on ours now. Started out 21-22mpg, now up to 24-26. Normal mode, 50/50 hwy city. Of course our "city" is small towns with light traffic.
I'm very happy with that.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I've been hovering between 26.5 and 27 mpg (on the computer) over 20k miles so far on my 2.0 FE. I do live in a city with lots of stop/go (Chicago), but the bulk of the miles have been on long highway drives. I almost always drive in ECO mode, use the auto stop/start and typically try to be conscious of conserving fuel however possible.

From my experience, I don't see 30mpg being consistently possible with the 2.0 in anything aside from "Goldilocks" conditions (i.e. flat or downhill, with a tailwind, etc.). I was able to do slightly better than 29 MPG over a 7k mile trip in the summer when the bulk of the trip had favorable conditions. This is per the computer on the dash, so it was probably slightly lower if I hand calculated it.

To max out the fuel economy on the highway, just over 60 MPH and under 65 seems to be about the lowest speed my First Edition will hold the highest gear (8th), which is the best combo of MPG and arriving at your destination in a timely fashion (in my opinion). How those speeds relate to the actual speed limit for the road you're on is a different matter entirely.

I'm not pretending I putt along at 63 MPH when the speed limit is 80 in some places in Utah. Just giving my perspective of what you can do to boost your MPGs and what is realistically attainable (from my own experience). At a certain point, you can only do so much to overcome the vehicle being shaped like a brick.