Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I just completed measurement of fuel usage over three-tankfuls for our Sport Badlands. Here's the butcher's bill:

1st refill: 9.4
2nd refill: 12.5
3rd refill: 13
Total fuel used: 34.9
Total miles driven: 899.1

This yields 25.8 miles per gallon for the measurement period. The computer was indicating 27.1 over the same period. The car now has 1200 miles on the ODO, so a large portion of this was during the first 1000 mile break-in period. The manual says mileage should improve after break-in. During this test I refueled exclusively at Sam's Club using premium. Driving conditions were approximately 60/40 highway/city, and I generally keep to the speed limit with cruise control engaged as much as possible.

The dash indication showed a steady decrease (28.5 after the first tank down to 27.1) during the period, which I believe resulted from the concurrent drop in ambient temperature with the coming (well, here now) winter. If true, this would mirror my 2017 Mustang EcoBoost, for which I saw a 2-3 MPG difference between summer and winter.

I believe tracking fuel usage over several tanks like this is the most accurate method. Differences in winds, temperature, and how much weight you're carrying (among other things) can all affect fuel mileage. Additionally, you may get as much as a 1/2 gallon more or less between tanks due to different nozzle flow rates which can cause one nozzle to cut off at a different point than another. Measuring over several tankfuls averages out these differences.

Now that the engine is broken in I plan to continue using premium over the next three tankfuls, then I'll switch to regular for three tankfuls to see if there is any difference. Watch this space.

UPDATE (1/19/2023):

I've tracked fuel used over the life of my Badlands on a Google spreadsheet. Here's a link if you want to see it. Note the two tabs at the bottom. The sheet opens on the "Tracking" tab where I input all the data. The "Totals" tab is self-explanatory.

The EPA estimates 21 MPG city, and 26 MPG highway, with a combined figure of 23 MPG. My lifetime fuel economy sits at 26.7 MPG, so I'm quite satisfied.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My Badlands has just over 3,000 miles on it and I average around 24-26 mpg.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
The computer was indicating 27.1 over the same period.
That's about the same delta between the displayed MPG and hand-calculated MPG on my old 1.5L Big Bend. I measured every fill up while I owned it and the final combined MPG was 28.6 (80/20 highway/city). Glad to see that I won't be taking too much of a hit in fuel economy with the 2.0L motor; the extra power and other Badlands features are worth the loss of ~3 MPG.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My BL, 1700 miles at temperatures over 85° most of the time, averaged 25-27mpg 60/40 highway/city.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
After 20K miles on my Badlands, I'm still around 28 mpg. I do use ethanol free premium which nets me some extra mileage from experience over the years. I don't drive it like a sports car but I do use it a lot off and on road.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You guys must have wide open roads and highways without any traffic and drive like you have an egg under the gas pedal to get that high mpg average. Actually I don't believe it.
My Badlands won't get that kind average unless I'm on a road trip with an open flat highway.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
In traffic I use auto start/stop. Eco mode generally. Not that hard to get 30 mpg tanks if the winds aren't blowing 50 mph. If you drive it and don't care about mileage, it's a typical ecoboost and your mileage will be much worse.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use auto start/stop as well. I rarely use eco mode, Initially I used it to see if it would get the EPA highway fuel mileage and I did.
Like I said, I can get mid to high 20's on the open highway, but around town it isn't going to happen.
So basically you are driving to get the best mpg you can get, in my case I just drive.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
In traffic I use auto start/stop. Eco mode generally. Not that hard to get 30 mpg tanks if the winds aren't blowing 50 mph. If you drive it and don't care about mileage, it's a typical ecoboost and your mileage will be much worse.
This. With the ecoboost engine you get either eco or boost, but never both.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm jealous if all you need to hit 30 mpg is sub-50 mph winds. I drive to maximize fuel economy (eco mode, empty vehicle, gradual acceleration, auto start/stop, no HVAC unless really necessary, etc.) and I've only hit 30 mpg once when conditions were perfect. All interstate, smooth traffic, minimal wind, pretty flat, etc. That's hand calculated economy, not what's shown on the dash, so I'm referring to average for the full tank. I have 7,000 miles on the odometer.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Wyo, maybe you should run the EPA drive cycle test. You could change Fords MPG corporate average lol.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
We have two trip meters each with an avg mpg toggle.
After you get 5,000 miles on the clock reset tripmeter number two. Check it @ 1,000 miles with the trip meter AND add up your fuel receipts and do a proper calculation. Reset it then repeat. Winter fuel has less energy. And a 50 degree drop in ambient air temps will drop your tire pressure FIVE psi.
That has a Major affect on mpg’s by itself.
My base 1.5L
Gets 27 mpg’s over all in the winter with city hwy about a 40/60 split. Per the dash digital.
In the summer my avg mpg is
28 per the dash digital.
The old way I calculate about 2 mpg’s less winter and summer.
This is the Way~~~~

Last edited:

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Osco, this mileage thread is about the 2.0
I know how to calculate MPG, thank you.
Like I have mentioned, I don't believe the 2.0 will average 30 MPG combined as Wyo states. On open flat highway you can get close but as soon as you start city driving the average MPG's fall off fast.
I might as well say I've gotten over 50 MPG driving down the the long downhill from Mammoth Mountain into Bishop after a ski trip.
I know that's not the true MPG my Badlands gets.

I understand how people get increased mileage, you purposely drive ultra conservatively, which is gaming the average MPG so to speak. If you drive the 2.0 normally it will not average 30 MPG combined.
If that was the case the EPA figures for the 2.0 would be higher than the 21/26 EPA rating, which is basically what I do get if driving conservatively and not using Eco mode.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
my driving habits is 75% city 25% highway and I always drive in Normal Mode I gete about 20-21 mpg. On christmas I drove out of state 3 hour drive one way on the highway. I checked MPG after I came back home it was at almost 24 MPG. This is on a Badlands 2.0 engine. I also only have 1,300 miles on the Bronco so it just barely broken in LOL!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Osco, this mileage thread is about the 2.0
I know how to calculate MPG, thank you.
Like I have mentioned, I don't believe the 2.0 will average 30 MPG
Yeah this thread is about the 2.0
My point was that the 1.5 could not average 30 mpg’s In the real world.
I also don’t think every reader knows how to calculate true mileage.
When I write a post I try to give something to every reader.
I would hope everyone knowing how to calculate is the norm but I doubt it.
Sponsored

Last edited: